Website thinks killing used games is a good thing

The Xbox One will kill used games and control second-hand sales, and that?s great news (Really!)

source: penny-arcade

Edited by Anthony Tosie
Edited the misleading headline to a more accurate one.

Why yes, having a different opinion from your own on the Xbox One makes journalists 'Microshills'. You're being ridiculous.

Funny how Valve implemented a similar system with Steam hardly anyone complains about, save for those wanting to pirate games.

The Internet is the greatest tool humankind has to spread misinformation.

Used games will still be around, but now the people that make the games get some money.

This means jobs in the gaming industry to make new games.

It's only a problem if you don't have common sense. Don't believe the nerd heard on Twitter.

I am not a shill, I just use facts that Microsoft has been providing everyone. If you don't like

those facts, then that is a problem that you will have to work out on your own.

Surely you have your terminology mixed up here, if a media outlet is being paid to talk nice about Microsoft, then that makes the media outlet themselves the Microshills, no?

I think your title should read, "Media outlets getting paid off by Microsoft"

The word Microshills was not needed.

Or, if by Microshills you mean another party or parties, please make note of them.

PS. I didn't read the article, but judging by your lack of ability to even articulate your own concerns, I believe I will disagree with your assertion.

Used games will still be around, but now the people that make the games get some money.

It's only a problem if you don't have common sense. Don't believe the nerd heard on Twitter.

I am not a shill, I just use facts that Microsoft has been providing everyone. If you don't like

It opens a dangerous precedence, will plumbers start knocking at my door for selling my house that had work done by them in it?

• Like 1

It opens a dangerous precedence, will plumbers start knocking at my door for selling my house that had work done by them in it?

Nobody cares about video games unless they are violent. So, I think you are overreacting with your plumber.

Samsung doesn't get a cut of the sale if I sell my TV

LG doesn't get a cut of the sale if I sell my Monitor

Sony doesn't get a cut of the sale if I sell my PS3

Google doesn't get a cut of the sale if I sell my phone

Movie studios don't get a cut of the sale if I sell my movie collection

Intel doesn't get a cut of the sale if I sell my PC

Book publishers don't get a cut of the sale if I sell my book collection

Why should Microsoft/Publishers get a cut of the sale if I sell or buy games?

Why yes, having a different opinion from your own on the Xbox One makes journalists 'Microshills'. You're being ridiculous.

Funny how Valve implemented a similar system with Steam hardly anyone complains about, save for those wanting to pirate games.

I love how everyone completely ignored this comment.

• Like 2

The PC has never had a massive trade in or rental scene. I've been renting games ever since the SNES and for each console since then. Though you can trade in digital downloads if you bought them from Green Man Gaming.

If you buy used games at GameStop right now you have to pay. Gamestop gets all of the money, with the new system Microsoft and publishers get money instead of it all going to Gamestop. I don't see the problem.

Used games will still be available like always and they still will be cheaper for the consumer. So, I am not sure what you are getting at.

It's a fair system and I will be selling my current game consoles to buy the new Xbox One console. I have no problem with this, less piracy, same pluses as the old system and more money for publishers and developers who create the games we all enjoy.

We have had a lot of closures of quality game companies as of late and so this helps maintain jobs and so we all can enjoy our games.

You still have your freedom, it's just more pronounced and I don't see a problem with it at all.

Why are people comparing Steam to Xbox One! How many times have you gone around to your mates sat down and play a two player game on a computer like you would with a console! How many times have you seen Xbox have there super cheap sales like you would with Steam. Console users have a history of trading your games in to pay for newer games, swaping games with mates or even finding a old game for cheap! I can see the reason for Online games, for the reason of servers, but single player games NO.

If you buy used games at GameStop right now you have to pay. Gamestop gets all of the money, with the new system Microsoft and publishers get money instead of it all going to Gamestop. I don't see the problem.

Used games will still be available like always and they still will be cheaper for the consumer. So, I am not sure what you are getting at.

I buy used games from ebay/amazon, the person who paid full price for the game gets a reduced amount depending on condition and age of the game.

If and when this system goes into place I will only be able to buy from shops like Game, when someone buys a used game Microsoft will charge Game ?35 per title which means they will have to sell the used game for at least ?40 to make any profit which puts it at the same price as a new game.

Games are tied to the users account, you can only remove the license by selling the game to a videogame store, you can't sell games privately anymore and you cant use rental services like Gamefly, Lovefilm etc..

It is Anti-Consumer they are using their position in the videogame market to force videogame shops to accept the terms and conditions if they want to sell used games, How is this a good thing?

• Like 3

I love how everyone completely ignored this comment.

Cause looking at people comparing the two makes use laugh and move on. BTW Activision reported sales figures for Black Ops II in the U.S. being more than 7.5 million copies sold on launch day and grossed over $500 million, in the US alone in its first 24 hours, making it the biggest entertainment launch of all time. BUT yet they seem to think they need more money with second hand games.

Why are people comparing Steam to Xbox One! How many times have you gone around to your mates sat down and play a two player game on a computer like you would with a console! How many times have you seen Xbox have there super cheap sales like you would with Steam. Console users have a history of trading your games in to pay for newer games, swaping games with mates or even finding a old game for cheap! I can see the reason for Online games, for the reason of servers, but single player games NO.

played a lot of hot-seat gaming when I was younger, with friends and a like.

Also there are still a huge array of LAN parties out there where people play games against each other via local network, where all of them own the same games.

But I think the whole trading in thing and lending out games might simply be different per region, Never had such things growing up here. And it is something I barely see nowadays either, mostly because the people I know want to have their own copies of a game, so that they can a: play single player if they want. b: Play multi player, whether it be over network with friends of locally with another controller.

No need to lend out games, people usually bring their controllers.

And the whole trading in things to get other things cheap..Maybe just me, but that's not really how life works.

oh and "even finding a old game for cheap" people do this quite heavily on PC too.

Cause looking at people comparing the two makes use laugh and move on. BTW Activision reported sales figures for Black Ops II in the U.S. being more than 7.5 million copies sold on launch day and grossed over $500 million, in the US alone in its first 24 hours, making it the biggest entertainment launch of all time. BUT yet they seem to think they need more money with second hand games.

All I got to say about this is..Eew, ****ing Call of Duty. I don't look in the gutter for games.

I buy used games from ebay/amazon, the person who paid full price for the game gets a reduced amount depending on condition and age of the game.

If and when this system goes into place I will only be able to buy from shops like Game, when someone buys a used game Microsoft will charge Game ?35 per title which means they will have to sell the used game for at least ?40 to make any profit which puts it at the same price as a new game.

Games are tied to the users account, you can only remove the license by selling the game to a videogame store, you can't sell games privately anymore and you cant use rental services like Gamefly, Lovefilm etc..

It is Anti-Consumer they are using their position in the videogame market to force videogame shops to accept the terms and conditions if they want to sell used games, How is this a good thing?

If amazon adopts the system Microsoft has set up as they should then it's still not a problem. Steam associates games with an account as well and nobody worries about that. Why is it so different when Microsoft even goes so far as allowing retail to clear the games for resale?

You can't rent a PC game (at least in the USA and it would make sense as you install the game to your hard drive)

As for rental services, I am unsure yet how this works. I am sure Microsoft will announce something at or right before E3.

It is still a problem because Microsoft will charge the seller ?35, there is no room to sell the game at a lesser price.

Why do people keep comparing Steam to consoles, when you buy a PC game thesedays it is usually tied to some service such as Origin, Uplay or Steam, when you buy a console game it's not tied to anything, you can put the disk in and play.

I know you can't rent PC games which is why I'm saying its a flawed comparison, I have been able to rent console games since the 90's now all of a sudden i can't because of some arbitrary paywall for used/rental games. Microsoft and publishers already got their cut when the game sold new why do they deserve a second, third, fourth or even fifth cut of subsequent sales.

As for your "it's good for developers" do you REALLY think they will get a meaningful amount of this fee, no most of it will go to Microsoft and Publishers, developers will get a fraction of the amount just like the pennies they get when the game sells new.

It's doing nothing but lining the pockets of the big boys, it doesn't benefit the developer one iota.

Most of those products aren't comparable in that they no longer hold their full value after being used, a game however still offers you the exact same value and gameplay as when it was bought new. also books isn't entirely true, e-books, same system.

They should just tie each game to one account/console as a one time thing and be done with it. No trade-ins or sales.

Valve do it with Steam and everybody loves them. All this hate is just because its microsoft and people like LegendofMart and Audioboxer seem to love any chance to jump in with their holier than thou sony is great agenda. So childish. I haven't seen one mature discussion these guys have been a part in. So childish.

As for your "it's good for developers" do you REALLY think they will get a meaningful amount of this fee, no most of it will go to Microsoft and Publishers, developers will get a fraction of the amount just like the pennies they get when the game sells new.

It's doing nothing but lining the pockets of the big boys, it doesn't benefit the developer one iota.

Firstly, that's again made up conjecture, secondly the publisher in general paid for pretty much the whole game, a game costs tens of millions to develop, the publisher provided that 30+ million to pay for the developer being able to develop, then they paid for marketing and production and everything else. The developer gets their fair share.

Games have gotten a lot more expensive to make, and a lot cheaper to buy. if this helps prevent games from going way more expensive, then it's a good thing. that's besides all the other positives all games being DD provides.

Most of those products aren't comparable in that they no longer hold their full value after being used, a game however still offers you the exact same value and gameplay as when it was bought new. also books isn't entirely true, e-books, same system.

Which the developer was paid in full for..........if you are talking server capacity once the game changes hands it's not using more resources it's using the same resources as the first person who played it who no longer can play it as he doesn't have the game anymore.

Games have gotten a lot more expensive to make, and a lot cheaper to buy. if this helps prevent games from going way more expensive, then it's a good thing. that's besides all the other positives all games being DD provides.

Why is it the consumers fault that games cost millions to make and are cheaper to buy?

How so? A game disc degrades and eventually becomes unplayable, a book however can lasts hundreds of years, a book also retains the same contents, games get made better by new releases and old releases look worse, etc.

So your point doesn't have any merit or make any sense.

• Like 2

played a lot of hot-seat gaming when I was younger, with friends and a like.

Also there are still a huge array of LAN parties out there where people play games against each other via local network, where all of them own the same games.

But I think the whole trading in thing and lending out games might simply be different per region, Never had such things growing up here. And it is something I barely see nowadays either, mostly because the people I know want to have their own copies of a game, so that they can a: play single player if they want. b: Play multi player, whether it be over network with friends of locally with another controller.

No need to lend out games, people usually bring their controllers.

Yes when i was a kid mates would come over and played games on the computer, only cause we had one and alot of mates didnt, but they did have NES/Mega Drive/PS1. And we would trade games cause the cost of them were to high to own them all. Sister has kids and they swap and lead game between mates.

And the whole trading in things to get other things cheap..Maybe just me, but that's not really how life works.

oh and "even finding a old game for cheap" people do this quite heavily on PC too.

Well were i come from we trade or sell our old stuff and use that money to get newer things. Upgrade my iPhone each yea cause i look after the current one i have and sell it to get me the new model. Computer hardware, sell video card to offset the cost for the new model, console games ill buy on trademe or ebgames second hand, no need to buy new when i can get cheap within a week or two of release. It would have to be a really good game to buy it on release day. Maybe you have the money to just go out and buy what you want and when you want but some people still like to look around for a bargin or even sell things to offset costs BTW people sell there house to buy another house dont they?

MS have nothing to lose on second hand games, they are just doing what game makers want and not the great kind like indie game makers.

All I got to say about this is..Eew, ****ing Call of Duty. I don't look in the gutter for games.

yea COD was dead to me after COD4

Which the developer was paid in full for..........if you are talking server capacity once the game changes hands it's not using more resources it's using the same resources as the first person who played it who no longer can play it as he doesn't have the game anymore.

Since games are sold with a non transferable license and the dame disk is just a disk, no they're not. 10 people can play the same game for the price of one game to the developer/publisher. this isn't conductive to making more games. a used car, is used, worn out, needs constant services and isn't the same ride as when it was new.

Why is it the consumers fault that games cost millions to make and are cheaper to buy?

because consumers are the ones demanding more and more graphically heavy games, with better sounds, more and bigger stories and animations bigger and bigger levels with everything being realistic.

Since games are sold with a non transferable license and the dame disk is just a disk, no they're not. 10 people can play the same game for the price of one game to the developer/publisher. this isn't conductive to making more games. a used car, is used, worn out, needs constant services and isn't the same ride as when it was new.

10 people can watch the same film, 10 people can read the same book, etc.. etc.. they can put in the EULA that I must give my first born child to them but it's not legally enforceable. EULA's are a civil matter, the worst they can do is to not support you if you have a problem.

I still fail to see why games are a special case.