Photo

Website thinks killing used games is a good thing

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:05

The Xbox One will kill used games and control second-hand sales, and that’s great news (Really!)

source: penny-arcade

Edited by Anthony Tosie, 25 May 2013 - 14:39. Reason: Edited the misleading headline to a more accurate one.

#2 68k

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:34

I'm sure some group of hackers will find a way to get around all this.

#3 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:53

Why yes, having a different opinion from your own on the Xbox One makes journalists 'Microshills'. You're being ridiculous.

Funny how Valve implemented a similar system with Steam hardly anyone complains about, save for those wanting to pirate games.

#4 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:04

The Internet is the greatest tool humankind has to spread misinformation.

Used games will still be around, but now the people that make the games get some money.
This means jobs in the gaming industry to make new games.

It's only a problem if you don't have common sense. Don't believe the nerd heard on Twitter.

I am not a shill, I just use facts that Microsoft has been providing everyone. If you don't like
those facts, then that is a problem that you will have to work out on your own.

#5 kde

kde

Neowinian

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:09

Surely you have your terminology mixed up here, if a media outlet is being paid to talk nice about Microsoft, then that makes the media outlet themselves the Microshills, no?
I think your title should read, "Media outlets getting paid off by Microsoft"

The word Microshills was not needed.

Or, if by Microshills you mean another party or parties, please make note of them.

PS. I didn't read the article, but judging by your lack of ability to even articulate your own concerns, I believe I will disagree with your assertion.

#6 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:10

Used games will still be around, but now the people that make the games get some money.

It's only a problem if you don't have common sense. Don't believe the nerd heard on Twitter.

I am not a shill, I just use facts that Microsoft has been providing everyone. If you don't like

It opens a dangerous precedence, will plumbers start knocking at my door for selling my house that had work done by them in it?

#7 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:26

It opens a dangerous precedence, will plumbers start knocking at my door for selling my house that had work done by them in it?

Nobody cares about video games unless they are violent. So, I think you are overreacting with your plumber.

#8 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:32

Samsung doesn't get a cut of the sale if I sell my TV
LG doesn't get a cut of the sale if I sell my Monitor
Sony doesn't get a cut of the sale if I sell my PS3
Google doesn't get a cut of the sale if I sell my phone
Movie studios don't get a cut of the sale if I sell my movie collection
Intel doesn't get a cut of the sale if I sell my PC
Book publishers don't get a cut of the sale if I sell my book collection

Why should Microsoft/Publishers get a cut of the sale if I sell or buy games?

#9 +da00

da00

Kappa

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1020

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:48

Why yes, having a different opinion from your own on the Xbox One makes journalists 'Microshills'. You're being ridiculous.

Funny how Valve implemented a similar system with Steam hardly anyone complains about, save for those wanting to pirate games.

I love how everyone completely ignored this comment.

#10 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:51

The PC has never had a massive trade in or rental scene. I've been renting games ever since the SNES and for each console since then. Though you can trade in digital downloads if you bought them from Green Man Gaming.

#11 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:54

Samsung doesn't get a cut of the sale if I sell my TV
LG doesn't get a cut of the sale if I sell my Monitor
Sony doesn't get a cut of the sale if I sell my PS3
Google doesn't get a cut of the sale if I sell my phone
Movie studios don't get a cut of the sale if I sell my movie collection
Intel doesn't get a cut of the sale if I sell my PC
Book publishers don't get a cut of the sale if I sell my book collection

Why should Microsoft/Publishers get a cut of the sale if I sell or buy games?

If you buy used games at GameStop right now you have to pay. Gamestop gets all of the money, with the new system Microsoft and publishers get money instead of it all going to Gamestop. I don't see the problem.

Used games will still be available like always and they still will be cheaper for the consumer. So, I am not sure what you are getting at.

It's a fair system and I will be selling my current game consoles to buy the new Xbox One console. I have no problem with this, less piracy, same pluses as the old system and more money for publishers and developers who create the games we all enjoy.

We have had a lot of closures of quality game companies as of late and so this helps maintain jobs and so we all can enjoy our games.
You still have your freedom, it's just more pronounced and I don't see a problem with it at all.

#12 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:58

Why are people comparing Steam to Xbox One! How many times have you gone around to your mates sat down and play a two player game on a computer like you would with a console! How many times have you seen Xbox have there super cheap sales like you would with Steam. Console users have a history of trading your games in to pay for newer games, swaping games with mates or even finding a old game for cheap! I can see the reason for Online games, for the reason of servers, but single player games NO.

#13 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:02

If you buy used games at GameStop right now you have to pay. Gamestop gets all of the money, with the new system Microsoft and publishers get money instead of it all going to Gamestop. I don't see the problem.

Used games will still be available like always and they still will be cheaper for the consumer. So, I am not sure what you are getting at.

I buy used games from ebay/amazon, the person who paid full price for the game gets a reduced amount depending on condition and age of the game.

If and when this system goes into place I will only be able to buy from shops like Game, when someone buys a used game Microsoft will charge Game £35 per title which means they will have to sell the used game for at least £40 to make any profit which puts it at the same price as a new game.

Games are tied to the users account, you can only remove the license by selling the game to a videogame store, you can't sell games privately anymore and you cant use rental services like Gamefly, Lovefilm etc..

It is Anti-Consumer they are using their position in the videogame market to force videogame shops to accept the terms and conditions if they want to sell used games, How is this a good thing?

#14 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:03

I love how everyone completely ignored this comment.

Cause looking at people comparing the two makes use laugh and move on. BTW Activision reported sales figures for Black Ops II in the U.S. being more than 7.5 million copies sold on launch day and grossed over $500 million, in the US alone in its first 24 hours, making it the biggest entertainment launch of all time. BUT yet they seem to think they need more money with second hand games.

#15 +da00

da00

Kappa

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1020

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:44

Why are people comparing Steam to Xbox One! How many times have you gone around to your mates sat down and play a two player game on a computer like you would with a console! How many times have you seen Xbox have there super cheap sales like you would with Steam. Console users have a history of trading your games in to pay for newer games, swaping games with mates or even finding a old game for cheap! I can see the reason for Online games, for the reason of servers, but single player games NO.

played a lot of hot-seat gaming when I was younger, with friends and a like.
Also there are still a huge array of LAN parties out there where people play games against each other via local network, where all of them own the same games.

But I think the whole trading in thing and lending out games might simply be different per region, Never had such things growing up here. And it is something I barely see nowadays either, mostly because the people I know want to have their own copies of a game, so that they can a: play single player if they want. b: Play multi player, whether it be over network with friends of locally with another controller.

No need to lend out games, people usually bring their controllers.

And the whole trading in things to get other things cheap..Maybe just me, but that's not really how life works.
oh and "even finding a old game for cheap" people do this quite heavily on PC too.

Cause looking at people comparing the two makes use laugh and move on. BTW Activision reported sales figures for Black Ops II in the U.S. being more than 7.5 million copies sold on launch day and grossed over $500 million, in the US alone in its first 24 hours, making it the biggest entertainment launch of all time. BUT yet they seem to think they need more money with second hand games.

All I got to say about this is..Eew, ****ing Call of Duty. I don't look in the gutter for games.