asus

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jimboh1

jimboh1

Happy to be Here

Posted 25 May 2013 - 17:36

Hi All-

I have a Asus RT-N56U with latest F/W, 3.0.0.4.360. This router does NOT appear to support DD-WRT.

I would like the ability to turn off the WiFi element of the router nightly by way of software within the router. I have tried to do so physically with a mechanical timer, but it just mucks up the network and I have to reset cable modem, etc. when I do.

I don't see any setting to turn off WiFi broadcast during certain hours in the F/W, but that's not to say it's not there.

Can anyone tell me the following:

1. Is timed broadcast of WiFi possible within this router's software? If not,
2. Is there a 3rd party router software that will do so, and if not #1 or #2,
3. Is there a "N" router that has this function built in?

Thanks for any response,

Jim

#2 MDboyz

MDboyz

Neowinian

Posted 25 May 2013 - 17:43

I'm pretty sure the router software has the ability to turn wifi off any date or time that you want.
I am not familiar with your router; however, I found this. This is for RT N66U. Check to see if your router model has the same setting or not.

... _http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20121014034728988&board_id=11&model=RT-N66U+(VER.B1)&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

#3 +ThePhoenix

ThePhoenix

Computer Geek :-)

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920 & Blackberry Q10

Posted 25 May 2013 - 17:46

I take it that you don't have anything in the web portal for your router labelled anything like Schedule or Time Schedule or anything like that?

#4 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 25 May 2013 - 17:51

Also look for parental controls.

#5 OP jimboh1

jimboh1

Happy to be Here

Posted 25 May 2013 - 18:09

Thanks MDboyz, that solved it! my wife will be very happy; thinks WiFi waves affects sleep. I disagree, but must keep her happy!

#6 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 25 May 2013 - 22:53

Thanks MDboyz, that solved it! my wife will be very happy; thinks WiFi waves affects sleep. I disagree, but must keep her happy!

why didn't you say that was the problem? there's a much easier solution than actually timing the wifi: just tell her it's timed.

#7 sagum

sagum

Unicorn Doctor

• Phone: LG E900 & Lumia` 610/520/920

Posted 25 May 2013 - 23:28

Hi All-

I have a Asus RT-N56U with latest F/W, 3.0.0.4.360. This router does NOT appear to support DD-WRT.

I would like the ability to turn off the WiFi element of the router nightly by way of software within the router. I have tried to do so physically with a mechanical timer, but it just mucks up the network and I have to reset cable modem, etc. when I do.

I don't see any setting to turn off WiFi broadcast during certain hours in the F/W, but that's not to say it's not there.

Can anyone tell me the following:

1. Is timed broadcast of WiFi possible within this router's software? If not,
2. Is there a 3rd party router software that will do so, and if not #1 or #2,
3. Is there a "N" router that has this function built in?

Thanks for any response,

Jim

Check if you can login to the router via telnet or ssh, sometimes they allow you to control the router via the command line. You could setup a script to push the turn off wifi http request or telnet/ssh via a scheduled job in windows. That'd mean leaving your PC on though.
Alternatively. if you're using a wall socket timer to power off the router to disable wifi, I assume you don't mind no internet access at these times. You could plug in a cheap switch for your wired connections and your network would continue to function until the dhcp lease ran out on the LAN IPs (or simply give them static IPs).