WSUS 2012 Cluster or NLB

I read in the wsus 3 notes that it can be configured in a cluster for high availibity

Configure servers in a cluster

WSUS 3.0 servers can now be configured in a cluster for fault tolerance. Such servers must all point to the same SQL Server database instance, which can also be clustered.

Has anyone any expierance with this ? We allready have a sql 2012 failover cluster and TMG (multicast NLB).

I cant find any guides on how to set it up just saying its possible

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverwsus/thread/10e28445-71c3-4489-be9c-8fa47bf795d2/

Note that WSUS 3.0 is really just an IIS application, so active/passive cluster implementations are supported (technically it worked previously in simple configurations, but was unsupported and thus not recommended).

OK posting my solution for this project.

I couldn't find any information on how to do this everything referred to the old wsus 3.2 and clustering looked like a PITA to setup but I found a solution.

First I created the 4 wsus servers with the following logon script

Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:UpdateServices /all
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:UpdateServices-Services /all
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:UpdateServices-Database /all
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetworkLoadBalancingManagementClient /all
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetworkLoadBalancingFullServer /all
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:UpdateServices-UI /all
[/CODE]

And added 4 500GB VHDs to each VM for storing the updates (for some reason it wouldn't take E:\ as a location to store updates looking at the logs it seems to be an issue with the \ char in the string so I used E:\\ which worked)

I ran the post install on the first WSUS server which created a susdb on the sql cluster and followed this guide to detach and rename it to WSUS1

[CODE]
http://www.whitwo.com/wp/?p=85
[/CODE]

I repeated this for WSUS2 WSUS3 and WSUS 4.

Finally I enabled configured NLB and pointed the intranet storage location to the NLB virtual IP address

used this guide

[CODE]
http://beta-learn-iis-dit.neudesic.com/page.aspx/511/achieving-high-availability-and-scalability---arr-and-nlb/
[/CODE]

Its working fine now.

I read in the wsus 3 notes that it can be configured in a cluster for high availibity

Configure servers in a cluster

WSUS can be configured in an =NLB= cluster ... not a failover cluster.

It is discussed in the WSUS Deployment Guide, in the section Configure WSUS for Network Load Balancing.

It does require a back-end SQL Server; however, the SQL Server does not need to be clustered.

People still use WSUS?

See if you can get licenced for System Centre 2012 (or wait for the R2 release). Even if the only thing you use is the WSUS feature, it's a million times better than basic WSUS (Yes I know the underlying foundation is WSUS, but the features are much needed in the Enterprise).