The Last of Us

official the last of us naughty dog bruce straley neil druckmann sony ps3

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#16 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 June 2013 - 15:41

Edge Magazine (UK) gave it 10/10, they've only given out 15 or so perfect scores in the 20 years since it launched. Two other publications have given it 10/10 and 5/5, the review embargo is up tomorrow.

If this is what Naughtydog can do with this generation I can't wait to see what they do with the next one.

#17 OP soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 04 June 2013 - 23:21

#18 OP soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 05 June 2013 - 23:03

Sessler's review is actually pretty good (not the score, just the way he reviews it).

http://revision3.com.../the-last-of-us

#19 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 06 June 2013 - 00:17

Sessler's review is actually pretty good (not the score, just the way he reviews it).

http://revision3.com/rev3gamesreviews/the-last-of-us

He really does have the best reviews in the business. He truly appreciates the art of video games. And he is really damn eloquent. Perhaps to much so. I could see a decent amount of people thinking he is to pretentious because he likes to use big words.

#20 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

Posted 07 June 2013 - 00:25

Just curious, what would you guys do???

My work starts summer hours next week. Work an extra hour 8 days over two weeks, get every other Friday off.
I am actually on Schedule B, which means my Friday off is not until the 24th, but I am pretty sure my boss will let me switch and tak off the 17th, which I plan on doing so I can start playing The Last of Us.

Well my issue is I currently have the game pre-ordered from Amazon. it comes with a free digital soundtrack, free dynamic theme, 2 free avatars, and a $10 credit on Amazon's video store, which I definitely use from time to time.
I also am a prime member, so I get free release day delivery.

Now here is the deal. Amazon deliveries wind up at my house anywhere between 12 noon and 5 PM. It is usually closer to 12 then 5, however who knows since it is a Friday. They also have messed up release day delivery a few times over the years when I have preordered from them. 3 times in fact. So I will definitely not be able to play the game when I wake up, which will be early since I am used to waking up at 6:30 for work everyday. And there is a small chance they may mess it up.

IF I preorder it on the PSN, I lose all those preorder bonuses. Honestly the only way I really care about is the $10 credit. That is a nice incentive.

I am leaning towards screw the $10 credit and preorder it off the PSN. What do you guys think? What would you do?

#21 OP soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:38

Just curious, what would you guys do???

My work starts summer hours next week. Work an extra hour 8 days over two weeks, get every other Friday off.
I am actually on Schedule B, which means my Friday off is not until the 24th, but I am pretty sure my boss will let me switch and tak off the 17th, which I plan on doing so I can start playing The Last of Us.

Well my issue is I currently have the game pre-ordered from Amazon. it comes with a free digital soundtrack, free dynamic theme, 2 free avatars, and a $10 credit on Amazon's video store, which I definitely use from time to time.
I also am a prime member, so I get free release day delivery.

Now here is the deal. Amazon deliveries wind up at my house anywhere between 12 noon and 5 PM. It is usually closer to 12 then 5, however who knows since it is a Friday. They also have messed up release day delivery a few times over the years when I have preordered from them. 3 times in fact. So I will definitely not be able to play the game when I wake up, which will be early since I am used to waking up at 6:30 for work everyday. And there is a small chance they may mess it up.

IF I preorder it on the PSN, I lose all those preorder bonuses. Honestly the only way I really care about is the $10 credit. That is a nice incentive.

I am leaning towards screw the $10 credit and preorder it off the PSN. What do you guys think? What would you do?

1) your dates are messed up. Friday next week is the 14th.

2) Do you plan on playing the multiplayer much? If not, then it depends on 2 things: do you really care about the $10 credit (I wouldn't, but I don't use amazon's video delivery anyway, so that's just a personal thing). I'd probably opt for flipping it to the PSN version, since I rarely sell games either. If you might trade it in down the line, sit wait, go outside or something. The game will still be there to play Saturday or Sunday.

3) If you think you might get down for some multiplayer, flip your preorder to Gamestop -- they get an extra pre-order bonus for multiplayer.

http://www.gamestop....ast-of-us/98630

#22 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

Posted 07 June 2013 - 13:14

1) your dates are messed up. Friday next week is the 14th.

2) Do you plan on playing the multiplayer much? If not, then it depends on 2 things: do you really care about the $10 credit (I wouldn't, but I don't use amazon's video delivery anyway, so that's just a personal thing). I'd probably opt for flipping it to the PSN version, since I rarely sell games either. If you might trade it in down the line, sit wait, go outside or something. The game will still be there to play Saturday or Sunday.

3) If you think you might get down for some multiplayer, flip your preorder to Gamestop -- they get an extra pre-order bonus for multiplayer.

http://www.gamestop....ast-of-us/98630

I was still looking at May's calendar LOL

Damn, you bring up a very good point, that I did not think about in my haste of really wanting to play it (if I take the day off, ideally it would be to play this game, BUT I do trade in games whenever I can. If I do the digital version, obviously that is not an option.

#23 illage3

illage3

Apprentice Game Designer

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Posted 07 June 2013 - 13:16

This game I have to say is looking pretty decent. :D can't wait to get my hands on it. Only problem is convincing the good people downstairs to let me use the PS3, as either my mum or dad are watching TV. :(

#24 OP soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 08 June 2013 - 17:49

Posted Image

#25 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:43

^ LOL

Posted Image

#26 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 June 2013 - 22:57

^ In other words, it's gonna be one awesome game.

#27 PiracyX

PiracyX

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:17

Just completed the game myself and i agree with polygon's score. It a great game but not a masterpiece.

Some of it is outstanding but the limited varies of landscapes makes it all look the same or reused in many areas. Also lack of challenging puzzles (if there was any) make it an extremely simple game.

But story was superb and keeps you hooked until the end. Graphics are very impressive and combat is so much better than uncharted.

#28 +FiB3R

FiB3R

"the sun is definitely rising on a new dawn!"

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 13 June 2013 - 14:11

Only just started playing this. First impressions are good. Emotional but not mind blowing.

#29 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

Posted 14 June 2013 - 18:41

Damn I unfortunately can CONFIRM this bug exists...

http://kotaku.com/an...e-gli-513409330

It is in regards to the Auto Save. It does not work until you reboot the game, which actually will reboot your whole console.

Truly, truly unfortunate, as I had tweeted this...

Holy ****. The Last of Us's controllable opening sequence is the single best sequence I've ever seen in the history of video games. Wow.

And I absolutely meant it. Just unreal how good the opening cut scene yet you control it sequence is. The best opening in my own personal video game playing history.

Info about the auto save bug...

A number of threads, posts and tweets around the web indicate that some players are having trouble saving in Naughty Dog's latest game, The Last of Us. If the glitch kicks in, then the game tries to autosave but can never complete the task, resulting in lost progress. While not everyone experiences the glitch (no one at Kotaku has encountered it), Sony says that there's an easy fix.

This is what Sony had to say:

Some players may have been encountering an issue with The Last of Us which affected the autosave feature, which can result in a loss of progress in the single-player campaign. The team at Naughty Dog has been diligently investigating as soon as we heard from our community, and we have determined the cause to be on servers for The Last of Us which were capturing player statistics. We have made a change to ours to address this issue. All players should quit any game in progress out to the XMB and restart The Last of Us. All players can now enjoy single-player and online multiplayer matches as normal.

And there you have it. Did you encounter this problem? Did Sony's solution work for you? Let us know in the comments.

I lost about an hour myself. Shame such a stupid little bug had to pop up. My + money on the PS4 better be put to good use to avoid things like this. Ahhh Sony.

#30 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 14 June 2013 - 19:40

Everyone talking about the intro has me super pumped.