Camino development halted

Camino reaches its end

After a decade-long run, Camino is no longer being developed, and we encourage all users to upgrade to a more modern browser. Camino is increasingly lagging behind the fast pace of changes on the web, and more importantly it is not receiving security updates, making it increasingly unsafe to use.

Fortunately, Mac users have many more browsers to choose from than they did when Camino started ten years ago. Former Camino developers have helped build the three most popular ? Chrome, Firefox, and Safari ? so while this is the end of Camino itself, the community that helped build it is still making the web better for Mac users.

Thank you to all our loyal users, and to everyone who contributed in countless ways over the years to make Camino what it was.

Source: Camino website

It was inevitable, development on it was getting slower and slower over the past couple of years. It was a great alternative in the past but now it's been easily eclipsed by browsers from much bigger companies.

The Camino developers must be the most arrogant bunch I've ever encountered. They simply refused to listen to user feedback and every suggestion for change, didn't matter how little, was met with great hostility. Due to this attitude the browser was long dead before news arrived they couldn't implement the latest Gecko rendering engine.

I honestly thought development on this stopped around the time Firebird changed to Firefox.

• 2 weeks later...

This was my first browser when I got my first iMac. I always liked Camino for some reason, but it did seem dead long before any official announcement.

I honestly thought development on this stopped around the time Firebird changed to Firefox.

It really started having issues around the time Firefox was ported from Carbon to Cocoa (Even though a lot of work on that was done by the Camino guys), after that there was a lot less reason to have a "native cocoa port", considering Firefox filled that need.