xbox one rumour

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• Phone: Driod Razr

Posted 10 June 2013 - 18:30

I'm not excited for Xbox One at all. I don't want to pay for Xbox live again. I don't want to play a console that won't work if I can't connect to the internet for a single day, and I don't like the fact that I don't actually "own" the games I paid for.

If PS4 does the same stuff then off to Nintendo/Steam it is for me.

You own nothing on Steam. I know this from experience. If they disable your account for any reason, they will not reactivate it and the won't refund any purchases. They don't even have a process for it. People need to understand that games are a digital media at this point, just like music. As much as I hate to say that, they aren't going to stay physical for long.

#62 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 10 June 2013 - 18:32

#63 vetSpyder

Spyder

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 June 2013 - 18:39

lots of current xbox owners will still buy the new One, including tons of people currently complaining.

Stay strong and speak with your wallets.

#64 CentralDogma

CentralDogma

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 June 2013 - 18:24

You own nothing on Steam. I know this from experience. If they disable your account for any reason, they will not reactivate it and the won't refund any purchases. They don't even have a process for it. People need to understand that games are a digital media at this point, just like music. As much as I hate to say that, they aren't going to stay physical for long.

They've since changed that policy. They will only disable purchasing of new games, but you can still be able to access your current library.

lots of current xbox owners will still buy the new One, including tons of people currently complaining.

People said the same thing about moving from the PS2 to the PS3.

Considering the lack of backwards compatibility this gen, there's even less incentive for consumers to stick to the same brand.

#65 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 11 June 2013 - 18:43

Microsoft does listen (take the upcoming changes to Windows 8 for example).

#66 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

Posted 11 June 2013 - 20:57

They've since changed that policy. They will only disable purchasing of new games, but you can still be able to access your current library.

And yet they still will not return to me an account for several years ago. And, regardless, Valve controls access to your games as they see fit. The fact is, they aren't yours to keep. They are Valve's to let you use. Disc based media is no different, the only difference is that the last 10 years of console gaming didn't operate like PC gaming, which since as far back as I can remember was a license based system like any other software. Games are software, and if people don't consider it that, then they need to wake up to the reality.

All the X1 is doing is making that more apparent, especially with discless play after install.

#67 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 June 2013 - 21:06

And yet they still will not return to me an account for several years ago. And, regardless, Valve controls access to your games as they see fit. The fact is, they aren't yours to keep. They are Valve's to let you use. Disc based media is no different, the only difference is that the last 10 years of console gaming didn't operate like PC gaming, which since as far back as I can remember was a license based system like any other software. Games are software, and if people don't consider it that, then they need to wake up to the reality.

All the X1 is doing is making that more apparent, especially with discless play after install.

You can still buy without using Valve. There are companies that release DRM free games. It's still a piece of software, but it comes with a "I don't care what you do with this" license.

That said, yeah, this is the state of media today. You've got it until someone takes it away.

#68 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 11 June 2013 - 21:16

"Microsoft have announced that their new console will cost £429.

Sony have said theirs will cost £349.

This news has made my decision a whole lot easier.

I can't afford either of them."

#69 duddit2

duddit2

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 June 2013 - 21:39

XOne more expensive, but more functions. Gold account is now shared so for people with more than one multiplayer user, or kids that might have wanted it (but mum and dad said its a waste) will now need to pay on either system - its a better deal as others can piggy back onto one persons gold sub.

Basically with the Xone, the whole family get access to gold online features so long as one person has a sub.

Big boost for me this, as I'll make that saving back in the second year then save onwards as there is me, my Mrs and 2 kids.

#70 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

Posted 12 June 2013 - 16:45

You can still buy without using Valve. There are companies that release DRM free games. It's still a piece of software, but it comes with a "I don't care what you do with this" license.

That said, yeah, this is the state of media today. You've got it until someone takes it away.

Most games now require activation via service. Be it Steam, Origin, Battlenet, etc. I can't think of a game that hasn't been the case for recently.

#71 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 June 2013 - 17:09

How is all of this any different than lets say using the iTunes music store, netfilx or spotify? Those you don't own a physical copy of the music/movies

Also what about those apps for your phones, again not a physical copy. People had the same backlash when Apple first opened the iTunes music store, and now digital music is the norm. Maybe they could do a pricing structure, cheaper = drm version, premium = non drm, like Apple tried once

#72 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 June 2013 - 17:20

Most games now require activation via service. Be it Steam, Origin, Battlenet, etc. I can't think of a game that hasn't been the case for recently.

Any of a few thousand indie games out there. AAA, not many. The Witcher series comes to mind.

How is all of this any different than lets say using the iTunes music store, netfilx or spotify? Those you don't own a physical copy of the music/movies

Well, iTunes you technically can if you burn it to a CD, at which point you can do whatever you want with it. Netflix and spotify are rental services, and priced accordingly.

#73 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 12 June 2013 - 17:29

Also what about those apps for your phones, again not a physical copy. People had the same backlash when Apple first opened the iTunes music store, and now digital music is the norm. Maybe they could do a pricing structure, cheaper = drm version, premium = non drm, like Apple tried once

You compare things that are sold at between 1$ and 3$ to games that are sold at 60$. And i could be wrong but i think you can actually buy DRM free songs on iTune.

But i've said many times you can't compare digital to physical. People understand that for the most part if they buy digital they wont be able to resell or trade. Digital stuff is tied to the account and i think most people understand that since it's been this way for pretty much forever. And i'm sure lot of people like me never pay more than 30$ bucks or so for digital they can't resell. I've never bought a game on Steam for the full price. I use Steam Watch web site and wait for a price drop. Bought many games on Steam for 5$ to 10$. This is part of the reason Steam is popular you can find lot of awesome deals for games that would not be sold in a store anymore cause of the lack of demand.

Here we talk about a physical copy bought at full price in a store. I have a problem personally with buying a disk 60$ if i can't resell it after.

#74 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

Posted 12 June 2013 - 17:38

You compare things that are sold at between 1$ and 3$ to games that are sold at 60$.

R.U.S.E, day one $60 PC game and I had to register it via Steam. Mass Effect 3, same situation you have to register it via Origin. StarCraft 2, register via Battlenet. These are are all brand new, AAA titles that REQUIRE registration with a service. More off the top of my head: Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Sim City, Dead Space 2/3

#75 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 12 June 2013 - 17:44

You compare things that are sold at between 1$ and 3$ to games that are sold at 60$. And i could be wrong but i think you can actually buy DRM free songs on iTune.

But i've said many times you can't compare digital to physical. People understand that for the most part if they buy digital they wont be able to resell or trade. Digital stuff is tied to the account and i think most people understand that since it's been this way for pretty much forever. And i'm sure lot of people like me never pay more than 30$ bucks or so for digital they can't resell. I've never bought a game on Steam for the full price. I use Steam Watch web site and wait for a price drop. Bought many games on Steam for 5$ to 10$. This is part of the reason Steam is popular you can find lot of awesome deals for games that would not be sold in a store anymore cause of the lack of demand.

Here we talk about a physical copy bought at full price in a store. I have a problem personally with buying a disk 60$ if i can't resell it after.

I was hoping MS will remove the $60 price point if they go with this unprecedented console policy but I haven't read anything relevant yet. Why can't they just do app store like "you set you price" thing with games is beyond me.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!