Michael Pachter declares PS Vita dead

Really is a shame people so easily dismiss the Vita, as it is by far the best dedicated gaming handheld I have personally ever owned, and I have owned a PSP, DS & Gameboy.

For those that say but there is mobile gaming, it is like comparing black and white. The only way mobile gaming can come close to the Vita is if one hooks up a controller to their phone. So at that point you now have two peripherals, not one. Which kind of defeats the whole portability thing.

The Cross Play games have been awesome. For example Guacamelee, I loved playing it on my Vita, uploading my save file which took a matter of seconds, and hopping on my PS3 and playing right where I left off.

And if they can get the offscreen play thing working smoothly on the PS4, that makes the Vita 10 times better right there.

So I get why people hate it, and it does suck developers seem to be ignoring it, but it is a hell of a device. It truly is.

it didnt help that they didnt show anything at E3 regarding the vita/ps4. I think they mentioned early on but didnt actually say what can be done.

Really is a shame people so easily dismiss the Vita, as it is by far the best dedicated gaming handheld I have personally ever owned, and I have owned a PSP, DS & Gameboy.

For those that say but there is mobile gaming, it is like comparing black and white. The only way mobile gaming can come close to the Vita is if one hooks up a controller to their phone. So at that point you now have two peripherals, not one. Which kind of defeats the whole portability thing.

The Cross Play games have been awesome. For example Guacamelee, I loved playing it on my Vita, uploading my save file which took a matter of seconds, and hopping on my PS3 and playing right where I left off.

And if they can get the offscreen play thing working smoothly on the PS4, that makes the Vita 10 times better right there.

So I get why people hate it, and it does suck developers seem to be ignoring it, but it is a hell of a device. It truly is.

Its not developers who are ignoring it, its publishers who won't let developers release games for it.

Sure it is the best dedicated handheld gaming device. But peopel don't want a "dedicated" handheld gaming device. They're not dismissing, there's just no interest in the device type in qestion.

Nintendo has the advantage of the handheld reputations, and the fact that their games are considered more handheld friendly. People don' want to play AAA games on the go, they want to enjoy them on the big screen. the DS however, it provides them with simple yet hard fun in the from of Mario and all that. games that don't need big screens to be fully enjoyed.

The Vita loses by trying to be a AAA Handheld, it's nto what people want. and in a couple more years, people wont' want handhelds at all anymore. I doubt well see nintendo focusing much on the DS anymore past this generation and maybe one more full or half gen device, and if they do, you won't see the sales we've seen so far for them.

• 2 weeks later...

They could only get rid of them with a hardware revision and I am sure that would ###### off a whole lot of vita owners. Maybe they thought a proprietary card would hamper piracy, the PSP suffered pretty heavily from it.

Maybe a 24-hour call home authentication would solve that issue?  :pinch:

The reason the Vita doesn't have a marketable audience is because no one develops games for it. I'm sure that if better games were to come out for it, more people will buy it.

I play Metal Gear Solid on my Vita all the time. Its a hell of a lot better than playing games on my phone.

It was dead a long time ago.  I think we all knew it before release that it would be dead and the games are largely irrelevant (I happen to use the word a lot these days).

Sony needs to stop making games for Vita and slow down drastically on the PS3 and start focusing on the PS4.  It's PS4 that needs the games, it's PS4 that Sony needs people to buy.

I would like to see a game pad that can attach to tablets that can be folded when not in use.  It could work with different sized tablets and provide drivers for the different platforms so that we can play quality games using a quality controller.

The Vita takes developers and time away from the PS4 and it divides Sony's studios, the same with the PS3, slow down in the support so your studios can move towards the PS3.  I mean GT6 is now for the PS3, that isn't smart at all.

Notice I said slow down and not stop on the PS3, but PS4 needs more help at this time and it's going to take awhile until those teams can ramp up on next gen.

The Vita no matter what you may think has been dead since birth and should not be taking any resources away from the PS4. 

Just like how people said the 3DS was going to be dead because of it's lackluster start. Give it time.

Muramasa: Rebirth makes me want to buy a PS Vita.

What about the 3DS?

As I said the same problem with the WiiU Lazy Developers and crappy publishers *COUGH EA COUGH*

No it's not due to laziness. It's due to the small market base compared to mobile phones. Which platform has a large userbase? The mobile phones. Everyone even those who would not normally buy dedicated game devices would have had a mobile phone that can play games already. So more and more devs are developing games for mobile phones than dedicated game devices because they can make a significent profit out of the mobile phone userbase rather than the small userbase of dedicated game devices.

I never bought a portable game device because I already have a game device that can do the same...my iphone. One device that does all.

No it's not due to laziness. It's due to the small market base compared to mobile phones. Which platform has a large userbase? The mobile phones. Everyone even those who would not normally buy dedicated game devices would have had a mobile phone that can play games already. So more and more devs are developing games for mobile phones than dedicated game devices because they can make a significent profit out of the mobile phone userbase rather than the small userbase of dedicated game devices.

I never bought a portable game device because I already have a game device that can do the same...my iphone. One device that does all.

I didn't know you could play uncharted: golden abyss on an iphone.

Yes there are good games for dedicated devices but the problem is that the market is asking for casual style games. That is why games on iphone is so popular. Angry Birds? Yep. Millions of people have downloaded that game. How many people played Uncharted on a mobile device? The point is and you have to realise and accept that there are more casual gamers than there are "high-end" gamers and that is who devs are developing for.

People want a mobile phone, calender, gaming, clock, SMS, video player all in one. Can a PSP do all that? Heck Real Racing looks amazing on a iphone. Even my iphone4.

If there were more games on the device, more people would go out and buy one. The adoption rate sucks, because the game library is terribly small when it comes to good games.

Patcher is an Xbot

We expect to take his word because he's stating the obvious that the Vita is not doing well except in Japan? Please, we had enough time to observe the trends of what's going on with Vita.

wouldn't that be essentially dead if no developers are developing?

The reason its dead is because of lazy developers, and because of lazy developers no one is buying the system.

It's still $249 here with a game + 4Gb bundle.

And the price of those memory card is insane, who would pay $99 for 32Gb when you can get a MicroSD of the same size for half the price?  Crazy Sony.

I knew before buying the Vita that it was never going to be "the king" of handheld devices in terms of market share and developer attention.  The mobile phones and tablets were always going to outpace those by a loooong long way.

However, as a dedicated gaming device it's great and I've had and still have a lot of fun playing games on it.  I'd say there's easily enough content on it if you play the typical Sony franchises.

I'd disagree that no one cares about playing the Vita on a train.  But I guess he was just rubbing it in.

I've been debating on buying one for a year, everytime I decide to get it, I look at the game library, I always ask my.buddy at gamestop when some new PS vital games are coming, and other than some HD remixes, there just isn't much out there..