Xbox One AJ Interview w/ Major Nelson

I think the whole "you can tether to your phone if you need to" remark is kind of asinine. Pretty much every cellphone carrier does not allow tethering unless you pay a ridiculous additional monthly like $20 or something like that. (of course you could do it for free if you have a custom ROM, but that is not a valid argument in this case) So I don't understand how Microsoft and those supporting them are saying it's a viable option.

Tethering to a phone for the online check in surely is negligible these days when anyone that has one will have a smartphone most likely. It's not like the license check will be a massive data transfer

It's not the amount of data that's the issue. Carriers in the USA literally prohibit tethering of any kind, regardless of how much data you're transferring, unless you pay them additional money every month.

So, for Microsoft to simply say, "if your internet sucks, just tether it to your phone!" is incredibly insulting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RtSGFryKwo

This was a pretty heated Interview if you ask me! What do you guys think of it? I cant believe he said to use our phones as a hotspot!! Like that wouldnt eat up our data.

OMG yes, using your phone as a hotspot to authorize your xbox will definitely eat up your data, I mean the authorization will take at least a couple of kb's every 24 hours. give it a few thousand years and you'll have used you a whole gigabyte

OMG yes, using your phone as a hotspot to authorize your xbox will definitely eat up your data, I mean the authorization will take at least a couple of kb's every 24 hours. give it a few thousand years and you'll have used you a whole gigabyte

Most phone companies in the states prohibit tethering of any kind.  Also depending on location data (even if within the cap) can cost money if used in a roaming style.  So while 100kb might be small.. some companies have been known to charge 1-5$+ per MB.   So going on vacation in another country could end up costing you extra money just because you want to play your XBone, and that's with companies that allow tethering.

Plus, most phones that I know of.. also use data for other things.  So there is a chance you could be at the limit (for me it's 1gb) and those extra 2mb could cost you quite a lot for 2 weeks of check ins.  

People that have such an unreliable internet connection that a device can't send 100Kb of data in a 24 hour period will fall into the small minority; not the majority.

Most phone companies in the states offer tethering as a part of their standard packages O.o

If you're subscribed to Verizon or AT&T family share plans you get tethering as part of the packages.

There's that your patches will download even if you're not at the console, avoiding you a several gig download in some cases when you just want to play.

?

Hum ... you can patche without requiring a phone home every 24 hours. If the console is connected to live/internet and the user has set to auto update the games then auto update them. If the console is not connected to live/internet or the user has set to not auto update games then do nothing.

Most phone companies in the states offer tethering as a part of their standard packages O.o

If you're subscribed to Verizon or AT&T family share plans you get tethering as part of the packages.

edit: nevermind. It looks like Verizon does offer free tethering. I wonder what the other carriers do now...

Most phone companies in the states

States != world.

I don't understand why it's so hard for americans to understans that. There must be a problem with geography lessons in schools across USA.

?

Hum ... you can patche without requiring a phone home every 24 hours. If the console is connected to live/internet and the user has set to auto update the games then auto update them. If the console is not connected to live/internet or the user has set to not auto update games then do nothing.

Not really debating whether or not it can be done.  Xbox 360 couldn't do it when I owned one...you launched a game, it checked for patches.  Bam, instant problem.

I see most of this argument is based on the availability of solid internet, and yes, in some areas this can be dubious. And as to tethering, my only phone is paid for by work. I have unlimited data, but no tethering enabled and I can't just go adding things whenever I want. I'm sure this is the case for a lot of people, tethering being an extra cost they can't or don't see a need for just to use occasionally like for this damned thing.

You know what? The internet at my place, while it has its moments of being out, is *usually* up most of the time.

However, I don't play online very often.

I like to play in peace without being bothered, and I have all I need on the discs or the HDD from where I've previously downloaded them. So unless I have plans to play with a friend or just haven't been on in a while and want to update my achievements/gamerscore online, I don't connect.

I paid for the console and my games, so I think I have the right to use them the way I want to, and not connect if I don't want to. A PC is one thing, but a console is designed for one thing only--to be a standalone box to play games on. Integrating all this media and other features is cool for those who want to use it, but it shouldn't be mandatory and shouldn't be required to even use it for its basest, original purpose.

Microsoft is "preparing for the future"? Well that's great, except we aren't in the future yet, and there are plenty of places that don't still have rock-solid internet. Maybe in 2020 or something this would have been a better idea. But we aren't there yet and they are alienating a lot of people by going this route, especially being the only company to do it at this time. Simple as that.

Microsoft is "preparing for the future"? Well that's great, except we aren't in the future yet, and there are plenty of places that don't still have rock-solid internet. Maybe in 2020 or something this would have been a better idea. But we aren't there yet and they are alienating a lot of people by going this route, especially being the only company to do it at this time. Simple as that.

I don't think that because a small portion of the planet that can afford to buy an Xbox One don't have "rock-solid" internet Microsoft should not "prepare for the future".  You can't cater to everyone.

I'm guessing that there are some people out there that still access the internet via modem; should Microsoft cater to this small group and include a modem in the Xbox for them?

States != world.

I don't understand why it's so hard for americans to understans that. There must be a problem with geography lessons in schools across USA.

The rest of the world never did the idiotic lock on tethering in the first place. that was a US thing. in Europe and the rest of the world, if your phone could tether, you could tether. 

Not really debating whether or not it can be done.  Xbox 360 couldn't do it when I owned one...you launched a game, it checked for patches.  Bam, instant problem.

ummm how ? don't have a connection or not playing onine, then answer no to the update. and there you go you can play without update. if you're playing online, well then you obviously have to update and you're going to be connected anyway...

I don't think that because a small portion of the planet that can afford to buy an Xbox One don't have "rock-solid" internet Microsoft should not "prepare for the future".  You can't cater to everyone.

I'm going to turn that around... there's a small portion of the planet that enjoys a constant connection. There are loads of countries in Asia and South America for example (probably others, these are just the ones I have firsthand experience with and can speak for) that have lots of money floating around. They can buy cars and electronics and etc. But the infrastructure is ****. The nice cars are driving on crap roads, the fancy electronics are running on unreliable, meh networks. Internet is dodgy, mobile signal is dodgy, but it has nothing to do with how much money some of the citizens have and how much they can throw at companies who are putting out good games and etc.

tl;dr, the way things are in the US, UK, Europe are not the way things are done everywhere, and expendable money in the hands of the average citizen != solid comms all around them.

I see most of this argument is based on the availability of solid internet, and yes, in some areas this can be dubious. And as to tethering, my only phone is paid for by work. I have unlimited data, but no tethering enabled and I can't just go adding things whenever I want. I'm sure this is the case for a lot of people, tethering being an extra cost they can't or don't see a need for just to use occasionally like for this damned thing.

You know what? The internet at my place, while it has its moments of being out, is *usually* up most of the time.

However, I don't play online very often.

I like to play in peace without being bothered, and I have all I need on the discs or the HDD from where I've previously downloaded them. So unless I have plans to play with a friend or just haven't been on in a while and want to update my achievements/gamerscore online, I don't connect.

I paid for the console and my games, so I think I have the right to use them the way I want to, and not connect if I don't want to. A PC is one thing, but a console is designed for one thing only--to be a standalone box to play games on. Integrating all this media and other features is cool for those who want to use it, but it shouldn't be mandatory and shouldn't be required to even use it for its basest, original purpose.

As long as your internet doesn't regularly go down for over 24 hours at a time, you'll be fine. you don't have to be online at specific times, just within 24 hours from the last time you where online. which means this will effect virtually noone except special cases. 

As long as your internet doesn't regularly go down for over 24 hours at a time, you'll be fine. you don't have to be online at specific times, just within 24 hours from the last time you where online. which means this will effect virtually noone except special cases. 

Exactly.  It's a heartbeat "connection" not a permanent one.

Couple of years ago a tornado wrecked this town. Electricity came on a few days later, comms were down longer. Our office was mostly closed during this time. There was nothing to do except drink and play Xbox and games offline on my tablet. If I had one of these, and this happened again, I'd only have the drinking and halfhearted games of Candy Crush for days on end. I'd probably die of alcohol poisoning. Do you want me to die, HawkMan??

Being a bit silly near the end of that :laugh: but seriously, these things happen. Let's say Microsoft's authentication services go down for days on end, at which point nobody on the planet can play their games except people who have managed to mod their consoles or create dummy auth servers. Let that sink in. Not even talking about freak accidents and disasters that affect a small portion, or even one country you don't live in so you don't care about. With this in place, Live goes down and literally nobody can play. Effectively, the paying, rule-following customer gets screwed over and the "evil pirates" win again. :rolleyes:

Seriously, how anybody can pay that much for a console they might not be able to use because of things entirely out of their control, at any given time, boggles my mind.

States != world.

Sorry, I was responding to firey and forgot to quote him. Ass. 

If anything comes from the Xbox One launch, its that I never want to live in the USA. You guys seem constantly in fear of the internet going offline, trees hitting powerlines or everything just going wrong so you cannot communicate with the world. Terrifying state of affairs for the self proclaimed "Greatest Country in the World"

I just thought of something else too.. going on holiday we'd bring the console with us to have parties and play silly games and drink and have fun in the evenings if the weather was bad or we just didn't feel like going out to the clubs. Beachside/remote mountain houses, cabins, or condos don't always have Internet at all, and in hotels it can be expensive...

If anything comes from the Xbox One launch, its that I never want to live in the USA. You guys seem constantly in fear of the internet going offline, trees hitting powerlines or everything just going wrong so you cannot communicate with the world. Terrifying state of affairs for the self proclaimed "Greatest Country in the World"

I dunno, if you're in WA I will assume (forgive me) Perth area? Nice place, that. And certainly one of the bigger cities in the country, so therefore some of the better internet.

Our office in Griffith, NSW had the 'net down for over a week; just came up sometime Sunday. It happens everywhere, but since you happened to be Aussie and this was such a recent event I thought it was worth mentioning. Brisbane area had fires, floods, etc that took them down for over 24 hours a time or two just a few months ago. It doesn't only happen to the US ;)

you know what... why don't we just put GSM radios in all the xbox ones that way you DONT need an internet connection just a cell link... and have it be a free connection like the kindle has... there problem solved

I just thought of something else too.. going on holiday we'd bring the console with us to have parties and play silly games and drink and have fun in the evenings if the weather was bad or we just didn't feel like going out to the clubs. Beachside/remote mountain houses, cabins, or condos don't always have Internet at all, and in hotels it can be expensive...

I dunno, if you're in WA I will assume (forgive me) Perth area? Nice place, that. And certainly one of the bigger cities in the country, so therefore some of the better internet.

Our office in Griffith, NSW had the 'net down for over a week; just came up sometime Sunday. It happens everywhere, but since you happened to be Aussie and this was such a recent event I thought it was worth mentioning. Brisbane area had fires, floods, etc that took them down for over 24 hours a time or two just a few months ago. It doesn't only happen to the US ;)

In a natural disaster like you'd just mentioned, I would be more concerned about other important things, than logging onto my console to play games. While I did live in Perth, I've travelled all over Australia and had internet almost everywhere with a Telstra mobile hotspot. Pretty cheap and certainly would be enough to do the "heartbeat" check. I assume that places like the USA would have mobile internet. Currently I'm in the UK and again there are very few places I've been here that do not have some form of internet connection to permit a tiny connection

you know what... why don't we just put GSM radios in all the xbox ones that way you DONT need an internet connection just a cell link... and have it be a free connection like the kindle has... there problem solved

no because then you'd hear people start jumping up with pitchforks and fire saying Microsoft is keeping constant surveillance on them. so that would be another pr nightmare...the argument just jump from one thing to the next. 

In a natural disaster like you'd just mentioned, I would be more concerned about other important things, than logging onto my console to play games. While I did live in Perth, I've travelled all over Australia and had internet almost everywhere with a Telstra mobile hotspot. Pretty cheap and certainly would be enough to do the "heartbeat" check. I assume that places like the USA would have mobile internet. Currently I'm in the UK and again there are very few places I've been here that do not have some form of internet connection to permit a tiny connection

believe me it doesn't matter what you say, they will always find something to complain about.