• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 illage3

illage3

Apprentice Game Designer

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:36

Hey everyone,

Just thought that you should all be aware that the latest PS3 firmware update has been bricking people's PS3 consoles. The issue seems to affect those with upgraded HDD's.

http://www.psu.com//...ricking-systems

#2 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:47

still got the original HDD in but thanks for the warning!

#3 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:56

still got the original HDD in but thanks for the warning!

According to the reddit thread, still effected. Many reported that it bricked their PS3: http://www.reddit.co...ith_update_445/

#4 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:12

hmmmm, sounds like a Dr. Evil ploy to force current users to buy another one before the PS4 is launched, those money grabbing ba***rds!

I'm on my second one.

#5 pjak

pjak

Neowinian

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:22

update seems to have been removed from PlayStation servers... :/

#6 0nyX

0nyX

Posting from Apple //c

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:20

Haven't update mine since 3.55 but from what i read even after the brick you are able to boot in safe mode meaning a fixed firmware from SONY will probably correct the problem without having to go through support staff and crap.

#7 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:23

Thanks for the heads up, I have PS+  :pinch:

For those with bricked systems Tomorrow a patch should come out to fix this. All you need to do is download it to your USB drive and power up the PS3 in safe mode and install update from USB.

Step 1: Turn off the PLAYSTATION 3 by holding the Power button on the front of the unit till the Power light is red.

Step 2: Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, meaning the PLAYSTATION 3 is powering on. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep, indicating the video reset. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a third beep and the system will power off (Power light is red).

Step 3: Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, again for the PLAYSTATION 3 to power on. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep for video reset. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a quick double beep. At that point release the Power button. If you succeeded in activating Safe Mode, you will see a message on the screen saying, "Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button."

#8 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:26

According to the reddit thread, still effected. Many reported that it bricked their PS3: http://www.reddit.co...ith_update_445/

My PS3 is horribly out of date as it's became a glorified Blu Ray player now, I wasn't going to be in any rush to tempt fate on this one!

#9 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:38

This is why automatic background updates are a bad thing.

#10 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:41

This is why automatic background updates are a bad thing.

Not always, there have been official microsoft updates that have broken windows, for example, then they have to send a fix for that also, I just see it ias unfortunate, but seeing as sony are prepared to make right their mistake in this update, I personally would let bygones be bygones.

#11 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:47

You say not always, and then describe another time where it has proven to be bad!

Yes it is unfortunate, but that doesn't mean it isn't a bad idea. I'm not just pointing the finger a Sony here.

#12 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:54

You say not always, and then describe another time where it has proven to be bad!

Yes it is unfortunate, but that doesn't mean it isn't a bad idea. I'm not just pointing the finger a Sony here.

Ok I might have failed to clarify, it's just one of those things that happen, hell even firmware upgrades on phones and routers can brick them on occasion, the people writing the updates are human afterall, mistakes can happen, my intent was only that, they made a mistake and are rectifying it :)

This was the point I was trying to make, as politely as I could :) (I'm not a college educated man so I may have less diplomacy than I should)

#13 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:07

Don't worry about it, I got kicked out of school when I was 13.

My point is, allowing background updates puts you at risk of situations like this. Therefore, I would rather do updates manually, after researching what the update is actually for, and to see if it is causing issues for others first. Any system admin with half a brain cell would do the same thing. And yes, little Johny, whether he realises it or not, is the system admin of his console.

I totally understand the convenience of auto updates, and I understand it is relatively rare for something to go ###### up, but guess who is still playing 'The Last of Us', today. Yep, me.

#14 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:13

Ok I might have failed to clarify, it's just one of those things that happen, hell even firmware upgrades on phones and routers can brick them on occasion, the people writing the updates are human afterall, mistakes can happen, my intent was only that, they made a mistake and are rectifying it

Thus "Automatic" updates are bad.  Notify users - sure, but don't push them automatically :)

#15 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:29

Shouldn't they be testing this stuff first before deploying?

Testing means that they test it with different hard drives and external drives?

If Microsoft had done this, everyone would be having a big fat cow.  I guess Sony gets a free pass for not doing proper testing and then allowing their customers to take a hit.  

I feel bad for the people that got their console bricked.  Sony should replace their consoles free of charge.