Do not update your PS3!

sony console ps3

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#16 slapfacemcdougal

slapfacemcdougal

Neowinian

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:39

Shouldn't they be testing this stuff first before deploying?
Testing means that they test it with different hard drives and external drives?

If Microsoft had done this, everyone would be having a big fat cow. I guess Sony gets a free pass for not doing proper testing and then allowing their customers to take a hit.

I feel bad for the people that got their console bricked. Sony should replace their consoles free of charge.

Why should they replace ps3s that aren't broken? Did you not read the part above that tells you how to fix the issue? Probably not. People are having a fit over this, thus the reason for this thread to be in existence.

Calm your biased self.

#17 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:00

And just to clarify, as I have PS+ as well, I thought it only downloaded updates. I thought you still had to manually choose to install the update no? Or is that a setting somewhere?

Glad to see there will be a fix. And I am at work now so not sure what is the status of my Fat. I also have a Slim in my bedroom that does not have auto updates on, so it is not like I would be out a PS3 totally, but still do not want to go through the hassle. I definitely upgraded my HDD, and I saw someone on Kotaku who has the same HDD as I do and they said their Fat was bricked. So here is hoping to it is not. Only 9 hours until I get home from work and can check. The suspense is killing me!

#18 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:11

I don't think the PS3 auto updates, so you are OK. But this is one of the things they are raving about with the next-gen. I'm sure it will be optional though, so not to worry.

#19 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:15

Why should they replace ps3s that aren't broken? Did you not read the part above that tells you how to fix the issue? Probably not. People are having a fit over this, thus the reason for this thread to be in existence.

Calm your biased self.

Read the reddit thread that I linked. That fix doesn't work for all the effected systems.

#20 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:23

Glad I didn't update yet, I upgraded my PS3 with a 1TB drive.

Issue seems to be those that upgraded to larger drive's.

#21 ]SK[

]SK[

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:37

update seems to have been removed from PlayStation servers... :/

It was removed before this thread got started funnily enough.

#22 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:38

I guess Sony gets a free pass for not doing proper testing and then allowing their customers to take a hit.

Why do you guess this?  Where does it say we should give Sony a free pass?

#23 OP illage3

illage3

Apprentice Game Designer

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Posted 19 June 2013 - 13:14

Not always, there have been official microsoft updates that have broken windows, for example, then they have to send a fix for that also, I just see it ias unfortunate, but seeing as sony are prepared to make right their mistake in this update, I personally would let bygones be bygones.

O_O Oh god that happend to me the other day.  Updated my Laptop and it couldn't even boot into Windows.  Good thing I had my Windows 8 disc :)

#24 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• Phone: iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted 19 June 2013 - 13:14

Got PS+ and yea I was worried too as I have a SSD in mine. 
Good news is even with automatic updates, it did not update the firmware and I too can enjoy getting the extra trophies in Last of Us :)

#25 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 19 June 2013 - 13:16

Why do you guess this?  Where does it say we should give Sony a free pass?

Because the tone of people in this thread is very calm and the same goes for every article I've read about it. There's no raging that Sony can't do propper QA and testing, when they should of done and they've essentially killed so many PS3's for people who necessarily don't have the tech knowledge to bring theirs back.

This will breeze over, like the PSN hacking. When did Sony become the company who do wrong but can't do wrong at the same time?

A company brick there console 8 years after releasing it with a minor bug fix. Does this give you faith that they can deliver a next-gen console smoothly? Considering the E3 demos were very jumpy and MS's were 1080p60fps.

#26 OP illage3

illage3

Apprentice Game Designer

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Posted 19 June 2013 - 13:18

Not always, there have been official microsoft updates that have broken windows, for example, then they have to send a fix for that also, I just see it ias unfortunate, but seeing as sony are prepared to make right their mistake in this update, I personally would let bygones be bygones.

O_O Oh god that happend to me the other day.  Updated my Laptop and it couldn't even boot into Windows.  Good thing I had my Windows 8 disc otherwise I would have lost everything :(

#27 Zidane

Zidane

Spoutcraft Lead

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 19 June 2013 - 13:43

Because the tone of people in this thread is very calm and the same goes for every article I've read about it. There's no raging that Sony can't do propper QA and testing, when they should of done and they've essentially killed so many PS3's for people who necessarily don't have the tech knowledge to bring theirs back.

This will breeze over, like the PSN hacking. When did Sony become the company who do wrong but can't do wrong at the same time?

A company brick there console 8 years after releasing it with a minor bug fix. Does this give you faith that they can deliver a next-gen console smoothly? Considering the E3 demos were very jumpy and MS's were 1080p60fps.

Ah yes, you mean the demos from Microsoft that were on more powerful equipment to ensure that you didn't see the fact it wouldn't be nearly as smooth on an actual Xbox One.

Of course you conveniently left that out, that's all a typical Microsoft apologist will do. Go sell your soul to that company some more and stop polluting every Sony thread. I think it says something about the PS community when they aren't flipping out and raging over what was a mistake.

Too bad your community for XBOX is too ######?

#28 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 19 June 2013 - 13:52

I don't think the PS3 auto updates, so you are OK. But this is one of the things they are raving about with the next-gen. I'm sure it will be optional though, so not to worry.

http://manuals.plays...todownload.html

It does for PS+ users.  You have to enable it, of course.

#29 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 19 June 2013 - 14:04

Ah yes, you mean the demos from Microsoft that were on more powerful equipment to ensure that you didn't see the fact it wouldn't be nearly as smooth on an actual Xbox One.

Of course you conveniently left that out, that's all a typical Microsoft apologist will do. Go sell your soul to that company some more and stop polluting every Sony thread. I think it says something about the PS community when they aren't flipping out and raging over what was a mistake.

Too bad your community for XBOX is too ****ty?

If you bothered to read up and get a good understanding about the demos at E3 you'd know the only games which were ran on PC's were the LocoCycle game. That was only chosen because they haven't even fully ported it to the X1 and it was the developers choice to do so. There's an unbelievable amount of bios in the tech blogs, especially Kotaku.

If you want sources then just reply and I can dig, but I'm currently at work.

Polluting Sony threads? I'll be honest, I've owned every PS since day one for the PS1,2 and 3. I like the playstation and still do. I just don't like the crazy bios between the consoles which are based on false rumors that have exploded.

The X1 interests me more, since my job is to deal with services like the cloud and infrastructure. The idea of using server farms to partially render games is fascinating.

#30 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 June 2013 - 14:13

You say not always, and then describe another time where it has proven to be bad!

Yes it is unfortunate, but that doesn't mean it isn't a bad idea. I'm not just pointing the finger a Sony here.

The problem is that the update is still out in the wild, so regardless of whether or not it is "automatic", it will still be installed on countless machines and can subsequently create problems...  All the while, no updates are ever being applied to many of the machines, leaving them susceptible to malicious code, or existing bugs that have since then been squashed...  The solution really isn't to just not do automatic updates, as that doesn't solve either problem.  The solution is to better vet updates so that they have as small a chance of causing a problem as possible (And on such a strict build hardware as a console, there's really no excuse for something like this getting through)...