Windows 7 won't boot: Winload.exe 0xc0000001

Question

Hey Neowin^^

Does anyone have a idea how to solve Windows 7 not booting with the following error after the BIOS? >.<

Windows/system32/winload.exe
error code 0xc0000001

I googled around but my findings were inconsistent at best :/ I can't say much about the PC either as it is not mine although it seems to be a Intel i5 system with a AMD graphics-card and 4GB RAM. Other than that the PC worked fine this morning and was shut down normally only to display this error after being turned on this evening. I will post more info as I get it and thanks for any help in advance!^^

Oh and my first guess was that the HDD or the SATA cable somehow went wonky though I doubt that now since as far as I know the PC only has one HDD and if that couldn't be detected the bootloader shouldn't be present at all right? D:

3 answers to this question

Does the drive appear properly in the BIOS, like its model number, firmware version etc (and not garbage characters)? If not then it could be, like you said, a faulty cable or faulty HDD itself.

If it still appears, then, if you have access to it, use a Windows 7 DVD/USB flash drive to try and repair the bootloader.

Failing that, it could be a failing drive, so try running a bootable disk checking utility, or take the drive out and connect it to another system, to run an application in windows to check the drive.

The very first thing I do to a computer that comes into my office with a corrupt registry, missing file or BSOD causing the system not to boot is scan the hard drive for bad sectors with spinrite. I do this to make sure I won't  be chasing my tail trying to trouble shoot the issue. Once the drive shows a clean bill of heath, then I start trouble shooting.

Does the drive appear properly in the BIOS, like its model number, firmware version etc (and not garbage characters)? If not then it could be, like you said, a faulty cable or faulty HDD itself.

If it still appears, then, if you have access to it, use a Windows 7 DVD/USB flash drive to try and repair the bootloader.

Failing that, it could be a failing drive, so try running a bootable disk checking utility, or take the drive out and connect it to another system, to run an application in windows to check the drive.

Hmm alright, I can't check the BIOS myself but I will ask for it to be checked and oh right I forgot that there are bootdisks that thanks for reminding me, I really hope it isn't the drive itself though atleast I have confirmation on my suspicion now so thanks^^

The very first thing I do to a computer that comes into my office with a corrupt registry, missing file or BSOD causing the system not to boot is scan the hard drive for bad sectors with spinrite. I do this to make sure I won't  be chasing my tail trying to trouble shoot the issue. Once the drive shows a clean bill of heath, then I start trouble shooting.

Yeah that sounds sensible, the HDD was like said also my first suspect though you can never have too much opinions^^