Forza 5 not ready at launch, will require day one download

I live in Lancashire. There is a Fibre initiative in Lancashire but my exchange is on the "to do" list and doesn't even have a date it will probably be 2014/2015 before I can get it. I used to be o2 Broadband then changed to Sky but now Sky bought o2/Be. I moved from Virgin Cable area to DSL only and I am beginning to regret doing so but not a lot I can do about it.

The line operator has a responsibility to make sure there's enough exchanges along the line to cover it. Certainly not a problem in a 30k town.

They really don't, there is a minimum speed requirement of 2Mb by OFCOM who governs the communications industry, I am slightly above the minimum at 2.2Mb so they have met their obligations.

DICE have been doing this for years, so it comes to no surprise to me.

I live in Lancashire. There is a Fibre initiative in Lancashire but my exchange is on the "to do" list and doesn't even have a date it will probably be 2014/2015 before I can get it.

And that's still no guarantee they'll do your local cabinet. 

I live in Lancashire. There is a Fibre initiative in Lancashire but my exchange is on the "to do" list and doesn't even have a date it will probably be 2014/2015 before I can get it. I used to be o2 Broadband then changed to Sky but now Sky bought o2/Be. I moved from Virgin Cable area to DSL only and I am beginning to regret doing so but not a lot I can do about it.

Your exchange is on the to-do list? You lucky so and so. They've not even fixed the padlock on our exchanges gate in 2 years and it's certainly not on the to-do list!

Meh, I do see both sides. On one hand, Forza and team is under pressure to make this title available on launch day, thus feeling rushed. So, this approach makes sense, since they have extra time to polish the game. Personally, Xbox One requires day one download anyways, and most games have some sort of update when you first launch it (on the Xbox 360).

On the other hand, a game like Forza shouldn't be rushed (but not delayed a long time like the GT series). I really don't use my Xbox 360 very much, but this is one of the few game series I love. So, I hope it gets positive reviews.

Thread closed temporarily for moderation.

Thread Re-Opened.

Please consider this your final warning. If you cannot discuss this topic like mature adults, it'll be closed permanently. We shouldn't have to delete over 30 posts from a thread.

There's less than 6000 people in my town, and we have adsl, cable and even fiber in some places. I live 20 km outside of town in a tiny little farm area with 100 meters between neighbors. Guess what. On my 24Mb subscription I get between 16 and 18Mbps. So sorry, that's plain BS.

The line operator has a responsibility to make sure there's enough exchanges along the line to cover it. Certainly not a problem in a 30k town.

Also you can star playing the game immediately after the first game patch. While the actual content patch downloads, the content patch is just more cars and tracks. You may need them to finish all the achievements and races that are on them, but you don't need them to start playing the game.

It really doesn't work that way in the UK. Sorry, but it just doesn't.

There are many parts of the country where internet service is just rubbish. And it isn't the ISPs fault either. They can't do anything about the fact some houses are miles away from the nearest BT exchange.

So while for some of us, downloading large updates is no issue at all, for others it is a massive issue. And that is the problem Microsoft seem to have with the Xbox one in general I think. I think it showed when their answer to the questions about not having reliable internet was to get a 360 instead. 

And of course, we are ignoring the issues at the other end of the pipe. It has been mentioned previously in this thread, but on launch day there are going to be a hell of a lot of people trying to download this day one patch (and the day one patch for the console itself). While MS should be able to handle it I think, it really isn't something to be ignored. If people struggle to download the patch on launch because the servers are getting overwhelmed, then there will be a lot of very annoyed people.

• Like 1

And of course, we are ignoring the issues at the other end of the pipe. It has been mentioned previously in this thread, but on launch day there are going to be a hell of a lot of people trying to download this day one patch (and the day one patch for the console itself). While MS should be able to handle it I think, it really isn't something to be ignored. If people struggle to download the patch on launch because the servers are getting overwhelmed, then there will be a lot of very annoyed people.

This is something i'm really interested in seeing, because if they pull it off flawlessly then it's an amazing advert for the power of Azure and the connected XBox One.

BS. tracks and contents are the easiest part of a game to make. A 10-man studio can have artists pumping out content until they're blue in the face. If it requires a day-1 patch, either the engine itself isn't ready, or the tracks had to be re-designed completely from scratch in order to work offline.

BS. tracks and contents are the easiest part of a game to make. A 10-man studio can have artists pumping out content until they're blue in the face. If it requires a day-1 patch, either the engine itself isn't ready, or the tracks had to be re-designed completely from scratch in order to work offline.

engine? the ######ing console isn't ready yet! :laugh:

Errr absolutely not. If you believe this, you haven't played a high quality modern racing sim, the cars alone take a lot of work to do, especially with forsake customization ability. Then they have to be tend and tested to they work like they should.

As for tracks, they're even worse, they need a painstaking attention to detail when making from the startwhenthey WALK the track with GPS recorders, cameras and measurement instruments to get every measurement and texture down to the millimeter.

engine? the ****ing console isn't ready yet! :laugh:

With only 4 months to go before launch I'd be very worried if the console wasn't ready, developers should at least have final dev kits by now.

One of the most annoying things about the PS3 was having to download GB's of patches day 1, or a week after launch (not everyone can afford to buy a game day 1). Pretty crappy if developers carry on that trend. Ship your game when it's done please.

And for the ever so arrogant Americans (this only applies to those who fall into this category), the rest of the world doesn't necessarily have your 30mb internet connections.

• Like 1

It's the same concept though. Buying a product that is completely unusable as it originally comes.

Whether the internet exists or not is no excuse for shipping a title that is, well, essentially broken as it comes on the disc.

It's not though.  I grow tired of the whole car analogy that keeps popping up in the gaming world.  A car is a manufactured product.  A video game is a bunch of lines of code no matter how you get it.  The mode in which we get those lines of code is changing as the industry progresses with the rest of the software world toward all-digital.  When you purchase the disc, you're purchasing all the lines of code, you just have to get some of them through the internet. There's nothing broken about it.  Ten years ago I'd have agreed with you guys that the idea is ridiculous, but the entire industry has progressed enough that it really isn't anymore.

One of the most annoying things about the PS3 was having to download GB's of patches day 1, or a week after launch (not everyone can afford to buy a game day 1). Pretty crappy if developers carry on that trend. Ship your game when it's done please.

And for the ever so arrogant Americans (this only applies to those who fall into this category), the rest of the world doesn't necessarily have your 30mb internet connections.

It's easy to say that as a consumer. Try being a developer - it's not that easy as you think it is.

/sigh here we go about the whole internet connection thing

It's easy to say that as a consumer. Try being a developer - it's not that easy as you think it is.

/sigh here we go about the whole internet connection thing

If some developers can do it that proves others can as well. Rushing a release date is not something that simply goes hand-in-hand with making a game. We have more than enough evidence from this generation that many games are simply sent out too early. 

If some developers can do it that proves others can as well. Rushing a release date is not something that simply goes hand-in-hand with making a game. We have more than enough evidence from this generation that many games are simply sent out too early. 

It's a launch day title on a brand new console. You really have no idea how stressful these situations can be. It's easy enough for you to baffle on from behind your monitor...Releasing updates is a common occurence for a new title - I'm not sure why this is even 'news'.

I agree with people here.  If you provide a physical version of that game for a game console, it better be a 100% playable game.

You guys keep saying day one patches are not a new thing.  This is true.  However, this is not a patch.  This is an essential part of the game that is required.  I have never seen a console game do this.  

They better put a giant sticker on the game that says an internet connection is required.  How many people do you think will buy this game and not have internet and they would not be able to play ONE MINUTE of it?

Do you know why people go out and buy discs?  Even when I have decent internet, I do not want to be downloading all day long to play something.  I purchased Uncharted 1 and 2 on the PSN and it took 7 hours to download Uncharted 1.  I have 30mbps.  The PSN must have been having issues.  It takes me 1 hour to download a 10GB game on Steam, but 7 hours to download Uncharted for 18GB.

I don't mind that much as long as the download is free.

I am not blaming anyone I am just dumbfounded why people are OK with downloading a multiple gigabyte patch on day one

I got to agree that if Nintendo would do that they would be laughed at by the XBox crowd no doubt about it.

Americas actually are not best for connectibity. :p

With only 4 months to go before launch I'd be very worried if the console wasn't ready, developers should at least have final dev kits by now.

I don't know man. Console isn't ready if they are not selling, period. They probably got devkits in May-July timeframe and if you know anything about software development, this is pushing it already.

(I haven't read all 7 pages of this thread, so excuse a silly question.) I don't get it, the game isn't being released for at least 4 months from now. Can't they afford to have a few devs work overtime between now and then in order to get this in the game, for day one? The discs have not been pressed yet.

(I haven't read all 7 pages of this thread, so excuse a silly question.) I don't get it, the game isn't being released for at least 4 months from now. Can't they afford to have a few devs work overtime between now and then in order to get this in the game, for day one? The discs have not been pressed yet.

Usually it requires around 1 month between the time a game has golden and the day it is sold in store. Also you got to account for testing. Testing a build for a game like this requires lot of time.

They've had to go back in and refactor the game after MS's decision to remove the DRM meant the console may not be online everyday.

Unfortunately this takes time, more time than they've got. As the game leaves to be pressed they can work on the fixes for the release. Same thing the XB1 is doing since the reversal decision.

Yay, there's nothing I love more than getting all excited to play a new game I just bought to be smacked by a download screen for an hour or two...no thanks

I don't understand why so many people continue to fail to grasp the fact that it is due to the crybabies who caused MS to U turn on their drm which caused this delay.

If they didn't have to rework so much to have to work offline then the game would be shipped complete on day one. 

End of story. We can thank the crybabies for this.