Haswell choice .. H87 vs. B85

Planning for a new setup and the main worry is related to the motherboard chipset.. and that SSD Caching Technology...really worth it? Actually I don't have any ssd but I plan to buy one too.. which one would you recommend for:

- non-overcloking scenario.

- good price performance ratio.

Cheers

Capture.jpg

Planning for a new setup and the main worry is related to the motherboard chipset.. and that SSD Caching Technology...really worth it? Actually I don't have any ssd but I plan to buy one too.. which one would you recommend for:

- non-overcloking scenario.

- good price performance ratio.

Cheers

Capture.jpg

Actually, neither - if Z87 is in your price range, get that instead of either of your two current chipset choices.

Yes - I heard you state that you have zero interest in overclocking.  However, Z87 (like Z77 and Z68 - both for LGA1155) is about far more than overclocking.

The Z subseries of each Intel chipset family has historically been the kitchen-sink of chipsets - if a feature is available with native (to the chipset) support, a Z chipset will either feature the best implementation or, in some cases, the only implementation of that feature.  Further, there is little difference in terms of price (to the customer) - typically, the price difference between two motherboards different only in chipset (H87 v. Z87) is shockingly small - $30USD or less (and that is all-in price difference at the register before taxes.  Lastly, entirely due to the SSD support that is unique across the entirety of the last three Z-subseries chipsets (the best implementation of Intel Rapid Storage and Storage Response Technologies - both of which are designed to leverage SSDs - is found in Z68, Z77, and Z87) has made Z87 (for LGA1150) my only chipset recommendation if you are looking at Haswell (Z77 is my only chipset recommendation if you are looking at the older Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge/LGA1155).