UEFI, Windows 8, and video cards

Okay, this question may seem a bit strange, but I'm still new to figuring out how the differences between UEFI-based setups and BIOS-based setups factor in when dealing with a certain thing called installing hardware.

I'm planning on buying a Radeon HD 4870 off someone (primarily because I'm getting a card that's still pretty good by today's standards for the price of a card that is entry-level by today's standards), and I've been seeing horror stories here and there about how secure boot and stuff like that can cause things to go screwy when installing an add-on video card. I have an Asus B75 motherboard and an Ivy Bridge processor (so yes, everything's still pretty new under the hood) with Windows 8 installed in UEFI mode (note, I do not use secure boot)

Is there anything I really need to watch out for aside from the usual things that happen when you install a video card, or not really?

The only thing I had to watch out for when using UEFI boot and an addon card was to make sure the setting in the main bios, video mode is set to legacy, not U/EFI mode.

Once that was done, I could boot Windows 7 correctly (otherwise I had a blank screen!)

I can't use UEFI secure boot and my GTX 570 at all, stops it from booting with an error. What I have to do is set my system to attempt UEFI first, then fall back to the normal BIOS for initialising hardware, disables secure boot but still lets me use UEFI for booting (And the GPT partitions scheme, etc.)

Since your GFX card does not have an UEFI GOP available, in your motherboard's UEFI advanced mode boot menu, just make sure to set your boot mode to [Enable both UEFI and Legacy]

This way you'll still be able to boot your UEFI install, the bios init sequence just won't be accelerated as it would be in a full UEFI boot