Photo

Ubuntu Edge (phone) conspiracy? (Sorry!)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 30 July 2013 - 18:08

To anyone seriously interested in this, I recommend that you listen to this week's Linux Action Show. Chris and Matt dedicated a good portion of the show to talking about the Ubuntu Edge campaign. They did not suggest a conspiracy like the OP, but they did discuss what the fallout of the campaign failing might be and why Canonical (and Mark Shuttleworth in particular) decided to use indiegogo to fund it. Obviously the hosts of LAS have a slight bias, but they did try to analyze the situation as objectively as possible. It is definitely worth a listen in my opinion.

I thought they hit the nail right on the head. 

#17 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 30 July 2013 - 18:36

Now this is truly conspiracy worthy. Surely if they wanted to cheat their way through it, they could've easily done it by now and even brag about a record breaking campaign, instead of letting the funding slow down, as it has in the past few days.

no. the idea with plants is that you dump maybe 10% of the cost into the campaign to inspire donations. and it worked. for a few days until their budget for planting ran out. that's not a conspiracy. It's a well known and effective tactic commonly being employed on these donation runs. 

So how would a few hundred thousand result in a record breaking campaign ? never said the plants where fully paying it, just a few hundred k at most to instigate donations by making the campaign appear healthy. 

#18 Syanide

Syanide

From here to infirmary.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 18:57

no. the idea with plants is that you dump maybe 10% of the cost into the campaign to inspire donations. and it worked. for a few days until their budget for planting ran out. that's not a conspiracy. It's a well known and effective tactic commonly being employed on these donation runs. 

So how would a few hundred thousand result in a record breaking campaign ? never said the plants where fully paying it, just a few hundred k at most to instigate donations by making the campaign appear healthy.

That's seriously crackpot right there.

The funding skyrocketed in the beginning with the $600 perks, really slowed down when it defaulted to $830. Following your logic, the budget for planting must have run out in the very first day, as it slowed down to a crawl after the first 12 hours, and EXACTLY after they ran out of the $600 phones.

Then how do you explain the new perks skyrocketing and selling out so fast (the 625, 675 ones) a few days later. They were gone insanely fast.

If anything, this just shows that the people have spoken and that ~$700 is the maximum they're willing to churn out for untested hardware. With each of the lower tier perks running out, the funding slowed down, with the current one selling slower than they need to reach the goal. I'm fairly certain if the price was in the lower range, they'd easily make the goal (hell, I'd buy one for $600), but they'd be losing money. So even with the campaign most likely not reaching the goal, at least they certainly know there's interest for a particular price point ($600-$700), which means that a larger production that could bring the cost down to that range would most likely sell, which is something they can show to hardware manufacturers. Win-win, if you ask me, as making money off of this directly wasn't possible either way.

#19 Harreh

Harreh

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 July 2013 - 18:57

Synchronicity

noun

coincidence in time; contemporaneousness; simultaneousness.

the arrangement or treatment of synchronous things or events in conjunction, as in a history

Reference: http://dictionary.re...e/Synchronicity