What to do with 3 unused win8 tablets?

Hello,

One thing I have always wanted to see is a touch user interface for network management/monitoring software that's actually usable.  Perhaps you could create such an application if you use/have access to such software in your environment?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Why aren't you using it?  How is your company's use so generalized that no one could benefit from deploying them?

I know several charities that would be happy to offer a donation receipt for such equipment.

The reason the poc was canceled was because the company decided to deploy win7 instead of win8.  We have over 250K workstations and laptops running win xp and it was more cost effective to upgrade to win7 vs. win8.  It was also decided that creating a new mobility infrastructure around a new win8 tablet/phone vs. the current mobility infrastructure of our mdm and massive idevice deployment wasn't a viable solution at the present time.

That doesn't really answer my questions though.  I'm trying to get insight into your mind that you would depreciate it to a photo frame or let them gather dust.  I don't think supporting 3 Win8 tablets would be such a chore.  Surely some sales types etc would love to take one on the road.

Just because you didn't chose to use them for the large scale project wouldn't take them off the table for smaller, more specified ones.

I also wonder how your thoughts of the device directed the decision process.

That doesn't really answer my questions though.  I'm trying to get insight into your mind that you would depreciate it to a photo frame or let them gather dust.  I don't think supporting 3 Win8 tablets would be such a chore.  Surely some sales types etc would love to take one on the road.

Just because you didn't chose to use them for the large scale project wouldn't take them off the table for smaller, more specified ones.

I also wonder how your thoughts of the device directed the decision process.

Huge corporate environment with one corporate standard.  I was able to use the surface pro as my daily mobile device because I received a corporate variance approval.  Because the poc was canceled, the rest of the devices are not corporate standard and cannot be supported.  Doesn't matter if any sales exec or field person wants to use it.  We don't have a mobile/it infrastructure in place to securely manage it.  

Don't suppose your PoC units came with an Ethernet adapter? if not try and get the company to buy you one...

Then you could use it as a mobile network diagnostic unit...bit easier to carry around than a laptop and maybe more functional than a FLUKE or something like that...

Don't suppose your PoC units came with an Ethernet adapter? if not try and get the company to buy you one...

Then you could use it as a mobile network diagnostic unit...bit easier to carry around than a laptop and maybe more functional than a FLUKE or something like that...

Ah yes, the hp one did come with an ethernet adapter.  Good call.

• Like 1

Have your company raffle them off at a company picnic.  It is your companies equipment, they can do what they want with them.  You cannot do squat, but if the executives say get rid of them or keep them that is their decision. 

The windows 8 tablet poc was canceled at work and I am left with a dell latitude 10 and 2 hp elitepad 900 tablets.  I cannot sell them as they are company property.  I have no reason to continue to program for them as it won't go anywhere.  So, what do I do with them.  Currently they are in the storeroom gathering dust.

You could always just salvage what parts you can out of them.  I'm sure they have some kind of ram sticks or flash drives, maybe?

You could always just salvage what parts you can out of them.  I'm sure they have some kind of ram sticks or flash drives, maybe?

They are tablets with non up-gradable parts