motherboard 1156

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:38

I'm looking for a replacement motherboard for my Asus 1156 P7H55-M PRO M-ATX, which has... gone wrong.

I have an Intel Core i3 530 processor which I plan to use.  Currently have four hard drives hooked up with space in the case for another three (although I guess I can use a card for additional slots).

This will be for a HTPC playing 1080p content, not 3D as yet but probably in the future.  The only other requirement is that it has HDMI out so I don't need a graphics card.  It'll be running Windows 7.

I have very little idea what is best when it comes to motherboards but I have a £100 budget which should be fine to get a half good board.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, as a side note, would I have to re-install Windows?  I know a motherboard is a pretty major element so I am expecting to.

Thanks

#2 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:41

quick search found this

http://www.dabs.com/...ards&origin=pla

:)

#3 Bonfire

Bonfire

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Rotary Dial

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:24

Also, as a side note, would I have to re-install Windows?  I know a motherboard is a pretty major element so I am expecting to.

Not necessarily, you can reset Windows to its initial OOBE startup state using the sysprep utility.

Follow Method One of this guide:

http://windows7easy....on-to-a-new-pc/

#4 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:22

Drivers that do not correspond to hardware IDs will not be loaded anyway. No need to reinstall, sysprep only if you have enough time on your hands.

Anyway, 1156 boards are a great rarity as it is - they're out of stock everywhere. Finding a board that has HDMI (therefore, H55 only) will be even more of a challenge. I'd say take what you can get.

#5 OP Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:25

I thought 1156 were the main ones?

That's disappointing to know as I only bought the system a couple of years ago!

#6 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:56

Yes, it went pretty quickly to 1155 - that one is the main one and, unfortunately, not compatible. And now there's the new 1150 which also isn't compatible. That's Intel...

#7 OP Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

Posted 06 August 2013 - 13:07

Boo.

Unless my processor is compatible with any other socket motherboard?  The link above is a 1155 board, yet my original one is a 1156 :/

Don't really know the difference but it's a pretty bare bones system so only the processor, ram and four hard drives are in there.  No DVD drive or anything.