phone mobile

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 OP Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 12 August 2013 - 20:40

*shudders* $2k+ for cell phones over a contract..... I'll just stick with my $100 a year Verizon pre-paid phone that I never use... maybe it's because I don't like being connected 24/7.. but I feel no need to have a cell phone all the time when it costs that much... so much other stuff I could use that $2k+ on...

I think it's one of those things where once you get intertwined into having an expensive smartphone, you start to figure out how to get your money worth.  For instance, having work contacts/email connected, being able to pay bills, trade stocks, navigate with the GPS, make use of the thousands of apps that are available, all while sitting on the beach with a beer in your other hand.

I didn't get my smartphone until I graduated college, and couldn't comprehend ever spending that much on a damn phone, but now that I've had it for two years, I can't imagine ever not having it.  And it's not that I have to be attached at the hip with it, but there are so many conveniences of having it that make being productive so much faster/easier.  And this is coming from somebody who has suffered with Sprint for 2 years, who has a data network that literally doesn't work. :)

#17 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 12 August 2013 - 20:46

And this is what baffled me. Not only is that plan much cheaper than the AT&T plan, it includes 3.3 times the data. Not to mention that the upfront cost of the phone was basically nothing.

It's because other countries have competition.

In most of Europe, I believe, phones are always sold unlocked and so you can buy your device anywhere. In America your phones are always locked to a carrier (sometimes by the firmware, and always by hardware).

Each carrier essentially has their own monopoly AT&T bands are different to T-Mobile, and Verizon / Sprint use completely different technologies. So they can charge w/e the hell they want.

#18 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 August 2013 - 20:48

I think it's one of those things where once you get intertwined into having an expensive smartphone, you start to figure out how to get your money worth.  For instance, having work contacts/email connected, being able to pay bills, trade stocks, navigate with the GPS, make use of the thousands of apps that are available, all while sitting on the beach with a beer in your other hand.

I didn't get my smartphone until I graduated college, and couldn't comprehend ever spending that much on a damn phone, but now that I've had it for two years, I can't imagine ever not having it.  And it's not that I have to be attached at the hip with it, but there are so many conveniences of having it that make being productive so much faster/easier.  And this is coming from somebody who has suffered with Sprint for 2 years, who has a data network that literally doesn't work. :)

I've had smart phones ever since Palm came out with their "wireless cellular palm pilot" still can't justify it for myself especially when work gives me one I don't even use for anything.... btw I suffered with sprint for 2yrs also on a contract once... ditched them the second I could...

#19 metallithrax

metallithrax

I saw you earlier, with the hairy stick....

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Sony Xperia U (android 4.0.4)

Posted 12 August 2013 - 20:51

Phone - Sony Xperia U - £200

£10 per month on Giff Gaff gives me 500 minutes, unlimited text, 1GB data

Not a big internet user on phone, so does me fine.

I could move up to unlimited internet for £12.50 per month, but that drops the minutes to 250.  Although I don't even use that.

#20 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 12 August 2013 - 21:09

I've been on Virgin Mobile USA for a while. Mainly cause it's affordable(none of that ~$100+/month crap), and i'm not tied into a contract. Sprints (3G)data speed wont blow you away of course, typically around 400-500kbit/sec during the day and upto 2mbit late night, but it usually works well enough when i'm somewhere without wifi and need internets. And i never really have any issues with coverage since i'm not one of those rich types who get to travel alot.

Anyway..

Phone(currently) - Samsung Galaxy S II - $199 when i got it.

Plan - $35/month(about $37.19 with tax).

300 Minutes(more than i ever use a month)

Unlimited messaging

Unlimited Data(that may be throttled after 2.5GB, but i don't usually go that high a month on my phone anyway)

Per year, without factoring in the phone, it's about $450.

#21 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 12 August 2013 - 21:18

Canada & the US are THE most expensive places. In Canada there's a new Wireless Code going into effect that's supposed to be more consumer friendly, and there's a lot of rhetoric from the big 3 (yes, we only really have three telecom companies in the mobile space, the small players are negligible) that's like "oh we're not that expensive, the US is worse!" which is true if you only look at the big US telecoms. If you take into account all telecoms, Canada should be even more expensive than the US (which is why both "the US is more expensive" and "look at the great plans in the US" can be true at the same time).

Anyway the US is a horrible comparison to begin with, the entire rest of the world has rates much much lower than it is in NA. There is so little competition, in fact, that the big 3 can pull **** off like this: they used to all do 3 year contracts, now the Wireless Code says you can only do 2 year. Instead of making their offerings better, however, they all just jacked up the monthly price of their plans and in some cases reduced what you get for it, so you still end up getting screwed just as much.

Example, Rogers' budget-ish brand Fido, used to have a $25 plan that gave you 200min talk unlimited eve/wknd, unlimited text, unlimited domestic long distance, standard extras included (caller id, voice mail, etc.). The same plan is now $30 and only includes 100 min talk time. If you want data, the cheapest plan at Fido is $45, gives you same as above but 200min talk, and 200mb data. That's an extra $15 on top of the already ludicrous price for a mere 200mb of data (and 100 more minutes, meh). If you want 500mb data, that starts at $55.

In contrast, Ting, owned by Tucows (a canadian company), operates in the US on a pay-what-you-use basis. For $33 - about the price of the cheapest Fido plan with no data - you get 500 minutes, 2000 texts, and 500mb data. And that's in the US! In fact, if you were a Ting customer and roamed into Canada, you'd be paying LESS per minute than a Canadian customer would on a pre-paid plan at Fido.

And this is typical of the big 3. Most of them are even more expensive actually. That's why I laugh in the face of anyone who claims that their cellphone plan is a good deal. I'm paying 50% right now for a while, and that only just brings my price down to regular rest-of-the-world levels. Also shows you how extorbitant their regular pricing is.

#22 +timster

timster

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 830

Posted 12 August 2013 - 21:39

here's my plan.

unlocked iPhone 4, on Telus Mobility. I had to buy the phone for $99 at Future Shop in 2011, Telus would have made me sign a new contract to replace my phone (my iPhone 3GS had died a couple days before)

• SPARK Sampler
  • Canadian LD @ $0.45
  • Family Calling LD
  • Text Messaging Services
  • 6pm Local Nights & Weekends
  • Unlimited Messaging
  • Family Calling
  • 911 Emergency Access Charge
  • Conference Calling
  • Call Display
  • Outbound Call Display On
  • Call Waiting
  • Voice Mail 3
  • HSPA/CDMA 1GB LYTY Data 20-PDA

$62.15 after tax per month. ($55 before tax)

#23 blooregard

blooregard

Neowinian

Posted 12 August 2013 - 21:49

I am from Spain and a customer of Simyo, a MVNO using the Orange network.

0 minutes included (12c connection fee + 6c/min or 0c/min for the first 10min to other Simyo customers, billed in seconds)

0 messages included (national messages at 10c)

750MB included

Minimum bill of 8.49€

Internet is included "for free", if I don't use the phone, I pay 8.49€. If I use less than 8.49€, I still pay 8.49€ but the bill increases only when I spend more than that in voice, texts and internet outside the plan. 

To put this in contrast, the second cheapest operator sells internet (800MB) for 8.49€, but it is a fixed quota without a free allowance. In this scenario, if I make just one call, Simyo is cheaper.

I usually don't use my cellphone for calling (0-10 min a month) and text messages are extremely rare nowadays with smartphone IM. I have never paid more than 8.49€ since I am a Simyo customer so, 8.49x24 = 203.76€

Phone: Galaxy Nexus (got it prepaid from Vodafone Spain, really strange offer, and unlocked immediately and threw the SIM away): 420€ - 50€ rebate = 370€

Total = 576.76€

(To put things in perspective with the plans most of you have, there are unlimited calling+texts (fair usage so not really unlimited) and 1GB plans for about 30.25€ or 300min+0 texts+1GB for 24.20€ on different companies).

All prices include local tax (21%) and rounded to two decimals :-P

#24 raider360

raider360

we are the web!

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:38

Here in Ukraine people are mostly using pre-paid option.

I am paying approx. $30 USD. /month for the unlimited calls inside my network and 500 mins for the outside. This plan also includes 500 megs of data.

Phone has been bought by myself at the store and it's unlocked. iPhone 4S. I guess I paid $500 USD or something.

#25 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:49

In the UK we have Giffgaff. Buy a Nexus 4 outright and then go on their £12 a month deal. No commitments and unlimited 3G data.

#26 Biohead

Biohead

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:55

UK

iPhone 5, 16GB £529 (I actually paid £305 brand new - but I got lucky so I'll neglect that for now).

Giffgaff:

250 mins

unlimited texts

unlimited data (no tethering)

£12pm - £288 for 2 years

Total cost - £817 or ~$1263 USD (inclusive of all taxes)

(When you take into account what I actually paid for the phone, £593/$917 :p)

#27 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:56

<snip>

The reason I wanted to post this was because many people around here complain about how expensive the iPhone is.  Personally I don't have the full knowledge of why they think that way, so above anything else, I'd like to hear some justification behind that mentality.  Yes I know that the out-of-contract price for the iPhone is generally a bit more than everybody else, but people would have to be out of their mind to pay those prices over doing a contract deal.

<snip>

I admit I didn't read most of your post :p But I have to comment on the section I've quoted.

I bought an iPhone 3G new from Apple for £500 (if I remember the price correctly) back in 2008 and went with a £15 per month 30-day plan. Then, when the iPhone 4 came out, I was able to sell the iPhone 3G for £300 and I bought the iPhone 4 for £500. Then, again, when the iPhone 4S came out I sold my iPhone 4 for £325 and bought the iPhone 4S for £500. I recently sold my 2-year-old iPhone 4S for £300 and bought a £330 Galaxy S III.

For the past 3 years, I've been on Three's unlimited-date £9.90 per month 30-day plan.

Basically what I'm saying it buying the phones outright is only expensive at first. After that, provided you have a cheap network plan, you can relatively inexpensively change your phones as often as you want without being tied into a contract :)

#28 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 August 2013 - 13:17

I don't think anyone in the US thinks iPhone is expensive. You can get the iPhone 4 for free on a two year contract...The service is the expensive part, not the phone (well at least subsidized).

Exactly. The carriers are making a killing on us. I use AT&T as well and I paid $299 for my Note II at the time and around $200 a month for my plan (me and the wife). The iPhone would at least been a bit cheaper upfront than my Note II.

#29 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 August 2013 - 13:40

Mind blowing that people would spend so much money on a phone.  Makes me glad I get a free one from work and use VOIP at home for $7 a month.

#30 OP Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 13 August 2013 - 13:46

I admit I didn't read most of your post :p But I have to comment on the section I've quoted.

I bought an iPhone 3G new from Apple for £500 (if I remember the price correctly) back in 2008 and went with a £15 per month 30-day plan. Then, when the iPhone 4 came out, I was able to sell the iPhone 3G for £300 and I bought the iPhone 4 for £500. Then, again, when the iPhone 4S came out I sold my iPhone 4 for £325 and bought the iPhone 4S for £500. I recently sold my 2-year-old iPhone 4S for £300 and bought a £330 Galaxy S III.

For the past 3 years, I've been on Three's unlimited-date £9.90 per month 30-day plan.

Basically what I'm saying it buying the phones outright is only expensive at first. After that, provided you have a cheap network plan, you can relatively inexpensively change your phones as often as you want without being tied into a contract :)

That's really interesting.  Definitely makes sense why people would pay full price for phones then.  I wish we had plans like that here in the States on the major carriers.