Photo

Looking for an MMORPG

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 OP SableRecon17

SableRecon17

Neowinian

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:12

I've already bought and played Diablo 3, which I didn't really consider an MMORPG. I guess I can understand why zhiVago would enjoy it, but to me it just got boring. The things you did felt very repetitive. From the sounds of this thread I think 
I'm going to go with Guild Wars 2 because: 

A) You don't have to pay monthly

B)It seems like a really fun game from what I've seen

C)I probably won't get addicted to it, which is a good thing

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I don't think the thread is done yet though, so keep 'em coming! :)

#17 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• Phone: iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:18

Final Fantasy XIV. 

This. It will be a WoW beater.

#18 Zodiarck

Zodiarck

Neowinian

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:34

You have Rift as well, and Secret World as stated before .

#19 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 20 August 2013 - 13:16

If you are looking for a good MMO that has the wow experience for free you can always give Runes of Magic or Allod's Online a go. Both are amazing games that are free. 

#20 +Yorak

Yorak

Insubordinate

Posted 20 August 2013 - 13:23

If you want to run raids with 10-20 people, then yeah, I guess D3 isn't for you.

If you run in close knit groups with friends, D3 is just the same. The only difference is that you don't get to stand in town with hundreds of people to show off your gear.

And in MMORPG you don't grind? Go to a place X to slaughter beasts Y or to pick up items Z. The words change, the environment changes, but the essence is the same. At least in D3, there's a progression in difficulty. And on HC, your adrenaline level goes through the roof - something that I haven't experienced in any MMORPG. The only thing that comes close is the anticipation of loot just before you kill a boss, and then someone rolls higher than you did and you're like meh...In D3, all loot is yours. And killing a boss on a higher difficulty level for the first time is more rewarding (because of the risk of dying, talking about HC).

So, from my perspective, it goes like this:

Play any MMORPG if you want to relax and kill time.

Play D3 HC if you want some real action which makes you sweat.

You must be new at this genre of game. D3 HC is far too simple. Path of Exile, on the other hand, can be much more difficult and challenging.

#21 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 20 August 2013 - 13:29

im slightly biased becuase i am a player but i would recommend Guild Wars 2.

I used to play Wow and i can honestly say i still love the game I just cannot justify paying a subscription for a game that I might not play once a week. I just dont have the time to dedicate to it anymore. I have tried just about every major MMO and a few Korean weird ones as well but GW2 keeps drawing me in. It has a 2 week update cycle there is a Content patch every 2 weeks. Here is a nice infographic on the 1st year of Guild Wars 2

gw2yearone6jkfp.jpg

#22 TheGhostWalker

TheGhostWalker

Neowinian

• OS: Windows 7 x64 Ultimate & Fedora 19 & Mac OS X 10.9.4

Posted 20 August 2013 - 13:29

If you want to run raids with 10-20 people, then yeah, I guess D3 isn't for you.

If you run in close knit groups with friends, D3 is just the same. The only difference is that you don't get to stand in town with hundreds of people to show off your gear.

And in MMORPG you don't grind? Go to a place X to slaughter beasts Y or to pick up items Z. The words change, the environment changes, but the essence is the same. At least in D3, there's a progression in difficulty. And on HC, your adrenaline level goes through the roof - something that I haven't experienced in any MMORPG. The only thing that comes close is the anticipation of loot just before you kill a boss, and then someone rolls higher than you did and you're like meh...In D3, all loot is yours. And killing a boss on a higher difficulty level for the first time is more rewarding (because of the risk of dying, talking about HC).

Don't forget the cow level  :heart:

#23 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 20 August 2013 - 16:14

im slightly biased becuase i am a player but i would recommend Guild Wars 2.

I used to play Wow and i can honestly say i still love the game I just cannot justify paying a subscription for a game that I might not play once a week. I just dont have the time to dedicate to it anymore. I have tried just about every major MMO and a few Korean weird ones as well but GW2 keeps drawing me in. It has a 2 week update cycle there is a Content patch every 2 weeks. Here is a nice infographic on the 1st year of Guild Wars 2

gw2yearone6jkfp.jpg

0 Demos to try the game before you buy it. 

#24 PsychD

PsychD

Neowinian

Posted 20 August 2013 - 16:24

I have an unused GW2 account, got a 80? Guardian on it.
If any would like to try the full experience send me a PM.

#25 OP SableRecon17

SableRecon17

Neowinian

Posted 20 August 2013 - 21:04

Actually from August 23rd to August 25th (i think it is) you can try Guild Wars 2 for free.

#26 TheGhostWalker

TheGhostWalker

Neowinian

• OS: Windows 7 x64 Ultimate & Fedora 19 & Mac OS X 10.9.4

Posted 20 August 2013 - 22:59

Like SableRecon17 above me said, you can try it for free from August 23rd till August 25th

#27 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 25 August 2013 - 22:45

I've been getting into HC on Diablo 3 and I can attest to this rush you describe. It's a lot more fun and more engaging than normal D3 with the relentless paragon level grinding. I've died a few times and it sucked, but I enjoyed the journey a lot more. A buddy and I are going at it right now and I think we will make it to 60 with our current duo if we play it safe. If not we have some a few levels back ready to take the reigns. :)

#28 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 25 August 2013 - 22:49

Welcome to the pc, that's how it goes with most games nowadays.

#29 Zumiiiiii

Zumiiiiii

Too poor to live, too dumb to die

Posted 25 August 2013 - 22:57

Just tried the free weekend that GW2 was having.  Really enjoyed it.  Probably will be my next MMO once I find the time :D

#30 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:04

I realize this is a little late but I've posted in the official GW2 thread every time Anet has done a free weekend for GW2. They have done them 3 or 4 times in the last year.

Coincidentally there is one going on right now that snuck in under the radar:

https://register.guildwars2.com/trial