Matt Damon & Paul Greengrass Negotiating Return To 'Bourne'

tumblr_ln2ej1Qh4z1qcnhhzo1_500.gif

Last year's The Bourne Legacy, that starred Jeremy Renner as Aaron Cross, was a moderate hit at the box office grossing $276 million. But, that didn't even come close to matching Matt Damon's last film in the franchise, 2007's The Bourne Ultimatum which pulled in $443 million. Even so, Universal announced at the beginning of this month that screenwriter Anthony Peckham (Sherlock Holmes) had been hired to pen the next chapter in the franchise. 

That news didn't sit to well with fans of the series, as they were still hoping that Matt Damon would return to the franchise. And it seems that their prayers may have been answered. Twitch Film reports: 

The studio (Universal) is in simultaneous negotiations with both Matt Damon and director Paul Greengrass for both to return to the Bourne franchise. We're told Damon is only interested if Greengrass is directing so there are clearly a lot of moving parts here but if all comes together we could be seeing the return of the director and star of one of the strongest American action franchises of recent years.

Furthermore, Twitch Film, says that Universal isn't ditching Aaron Cross. The plan would be to have both Cross and Bourne co-existing, with a chance of having a "crossover/merger" of the two storylines.

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/08/breaking-matt-damon-in-negotiations-to-return-as-jason-bourne.html

Hm, I thought they pretty much ended Matt Damon's run with The Bourne Ultimatum. A crossover could be interesting though and I'd rather see that than a merger.

Yeah just heard this, you broke the news before me :p I think it's because his films after haven't really been that good. So hope he returns!!

I'm looking forward to how they're going to set it up if they're both coming back.

The Bourne movies are among my favorite movies of all time, so I'm excited to hear that Damon might be coming back for another one. I never saw Legacy; partly because I refuse to see a Bourne movie without Bourne, and partly because I forgot about it. Now that there is a chance Damon may come back for another one, I'm going to hold off watching Legacy and wait for the new one for my Bourne fix; so that I don't sour the franchise.

This is before Damon becomes Aquaman :shifty:

Good! Hopefully they'll make him too occupied to even play Aquaman :p

It will only be good if The Bourne Legacy isn't considered at all in the cannon. That movie was just a very big mistake.

It will only be good if The Bourne Legacy isn't considered at all in the cannon. That movie was just a very big mistake.

I've not read any of the books but from what i've heard the books written by Lustbader are not all that great. The original trilogy is written by Ludlum. From what i've heard the Lustbader books are not getting better too (last one was published in 2012). I think that one of the main problem of Legacy was the story/script which is based on the first Lustbader book.

I don't think getting Damon and Greengrass back is the only challenge here. Writing a good script from books that might not be as great as the original trilogy is also part of the challenge. If they want to make this the next Bond they'll need good writers.

I've not read any of the books but from what i've heard the books written by Lustbader are not all that great. The original trilogy is written by Ludlum. From what i've heard the Lustbader books are not getting better too (last one was published in 2012). I think that one of the main problem of Legacy was the story/script which is based on the first Lustbader book.

I don't think getting Damon and Greengrass back is the only challenge here. Writing a good script from books that might not be as great as the original trilogy is also part of the challenge. If they want to make this the next Bond they'll need good writers.

The problem with Legacy was both the story and the action. The "best" action scenes are in the trailer, most of the movie is spent running around from setting to setting with Renner complaining about headaches. The drugs and genetic change by virus aren't approached as anything serious, just as a pure plot device to drive them to different locations. Heck, even the first part of the movie builds up tension for a fight between the 2 agents that gets resolved by big dumb missile. Weak and shallow story with shoddily filmed action scenes, with the climax of the movie being boring as hell with very little action (something the Bourne trilogy is praised for) it all results in a terrible movie.