Strategy game where I don't need to attack?

Hi

Im looking for something realtime similar to Age of Empires, something that allows me to build and defend my creations against attack but without the need to attack other bases in order to progress.

Is there anything like that?  I was going to look at Starcraft 2, apparently Age of Empires 3 is mostly about attacking and killing every enemy unlike the previous version.

Any ideas?

something realtime similar to Age of Empires, something that allows me to build and defend my creations against attack but without the need to attack other bases in order to progress.

AoE 2 HD on Steam has many different types of gamemodes, some focusing on defensive play.

Years ago I used to enjoy 'The Settlers' on the Amiga.  There was an attack element, but it seemed secondary to building your kingdom.

I loved that game, and I'm sure there are modern PC versions available.

Years ago I used to enjoy 'The Settlers' on the Amiga.  There was an attack element, but it seemed secondary to building your kingdom.

I loved that game, and I'm sure there are modern PC versions available.

You can get The Settlers 2 Gold and the 10th anniversary 3D remake from GOG.com

http://www.gog.com/game/the_settlers_2_gold_edition

http://www.gog.com/game/the_settlers_2_10th_anniversary

Both The Settlers 1 and 2 emphasise more on the building and defending of your nation rather than building an offensive army. The Settlers 3 and 4 moved more towards building more powerful armies for attacking other nations.

You could play Civilization 5 without ever going on the offensive. You can win through diplomacy or culture. You can also decide how often you want to play defense by turning aggressive AI on or off.

I was trying 0.a.d just yesterday, and while I guess the point of the game is that you should eventually attack you can also play defensive.

The game is free and it's nicely done (especially for a free game) although not 100% finished yet (alpha status actually, but very playable).

Also I thought that the game pace would be slower but in the couple of times I played I got rushed and crushed  :/ maybe I was too close to the other civilization and I should have selected a bigger map or something.

Worth trying anyway, being free and all.