Remove the Start button in Windows 8.1 with StartIsGone

After release of Windows 8.1 I found its Start button useless. Seriously, there are no issues for me if that button is not shown on the taskbar. Sure, I miss the old good Start menu. Start screen still cannot replace that menu for me, there is no doubt about that. So I decide to restore the behavior of Windows 8, without button.

ybjqIup.png

StartIsGone is my latest application which allows you to remove the Start Button in Windows 8.1 and get the extra space on the taskbar. It is fully native (no .NET required) lightweight zero-privileges portable program. The user interface of this program is just an icon in the system tray and the contextual menu.

Run the app, and the Start button will gone. Tick "Run at startup" and your Start button will be removed every time your Desktop shows.

StartIsGone is available as a separate application for Windows 8.1 x86 and Windows 8.1 x64. The x86 version is not designed to work under Windows x64, it will tell you about this.

Download link

Tell me, why? Seriously, i just don't understand why you can't just ignore the button... Besides, i think the Start tooltip that was present in Windows 8 was much worse than Start button in 8.1

Like sticking a man on the moon or trying to cure cancer the answer is simply "because it's something to do".

I think curing Cancer is more a, 'something you should do'. This is not something you should do, but more something you can do. Also, this is stupid, and curing Cancer isn't, neither is landing on the Moon (imo).

• Like 2

I think curing Cancer is more a, 'something you should do'. This is not something you should do, but more something you can do. Also, this is stupid, and curing Cancer isn't, neither is landing on the Moon (imo).

The original poster can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing he doesn't have the necessary medical skills to cure cancer.

• Like 2

Tell me, why? Seriously, i just don't understand why you can't just ignore the button... Besides, i think the Start tooltip that was present in Windows 8 was much worse than Start button in 8.1

I think my taskbar looks cleaner without the start button. You might as well say why you can't just ignore people who don't want the start button :P

• Like 2

I am doing a major face palm at this. People want the start button back and demand start button software programs. Now Microsoft puts a start button back in Windows 8 and now people want to gone and software to remove?

I am doing a major face palm at this. People want the start button back and demand start button software programs. Now Microsoft puts a start button back in Windows 8 and now people want to gone and software to remove?

News flash, far from everyone wanted the start button back. Some people did, mos people jus like complaining.

• Like 2

I'm just not sure what is the purpose behind this program. It seems a bit useless to me.

It is, but people are free to do as they choose.

If the majority were satisfied by Windows 8 we wouldn't have Windows 8.1, despite what the deranged Neowin denialists claim.

lol.... 

people complain that they want start button back...

now this, they want it removed.

kids these days....

+1 Make up your damn minds. You can't have both.

I think it was the Start MENU that was complained about and wanted back. M$ went half way half baked it. Its just a half-a&&d start menu, which I would remove too if I didnt use a start menu replacement like pokki for example.

In Windows 8.2, the Start Button will stay visible until Kinect 3 with mind reading technology detects that you want to click it. At that point, the Start Button will disappear.

**** me, what's wrong with everyone?

* Some people wanted the start button back, not all

* Some people wanted the start menu back, not all

* Some people want the new start menu gone, not all

This guy has given people an app - for those who want it.

/ End of thread.  Really...

:rofl:

It was a joke.