• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 19 September 2013 - 16:14

Except unless he followed my earlier suggestion to activate multiple logons, then you can watch anything you want on the screen.

Hence why other options is abad idea since they all, even the least disruptive like logmein or vnc disrupt the media center player.

#17 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 22
  • Phone: HTC One (Work) Lumia 1020 (Home)

Posted 19 September 2013 - 16:15

Just to throw a few things into this thread.. you can hack the service to allow concurrent remote and local sessions, don't need a third party server running.  Depends on your needs of course, you can streamline the shutdown options (if you want it available, obviously not suited for everything), menu replacements like ClassicShell handles it nicely.  You can also remotely shut it down or reboot without using RDP at all, say the built in shutdown command or SysInternal's PSShutDown utility.  Needs credentials for obvious reasons.  I use that via a jumplist to handle a few machines here that are purely servers, much quicker than logging in.  Just for example, something like this via a jumplist utility, cropped as there's a bunch of similar entries, you get the idea.  I can power on, administer, reboot or shutdown these systems all via the one jumplist.

jqvk.png

#18 OP goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 19 September 2013 - 20:17

I've found the patch it seems to work OK, i've partitioned by drive and moved all my downloads and media to this so that it's easily accessible on any account. Thanks for the suggestion.

Another problem i've come across (unrelated but dont want to make another thread) when windows goes to sleep it will not wake up.. it just went to sleep i tried to RDP, VNC and HTTP to it but got no response... i expected it to wake up but it's not.. 

WOL is enabled.

#19 Mando

Mando

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Note ICS

Posted 19 September 2013 - 20:28

Uplift, on 19 Sept 2013 - 14:50, said:Uplift, on 19 Sept 2013 - 14:50, said:Uplift, on 19 Sept 2013 - 14:50, said:

especially considering you can't restart from RDP only disconnect.

Yes you can.

1. Create a new shortcut

2. For the location of the shortcut type shutdown.exe /r /t 00

3. Click Next, and then for the name of the shortcut type Reboot and then click Finish.

to restart, double click this shortcut and whala reboot via MSTSC

OR

in Search programs and files enter shutdown.exe /r /t 00 and the command shows in the start menu, pin this to your start menu or taskbar.

Single click the pinned command and job done.