usa silicon valley long lasting batteries chevy volt

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#46 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:08

General Motors and Honda Motor say they never stopped working on fuel cell development, however, and now the two carmakers, with 1,200 patents between them, are teaming up to tackle these challenges and try to speed the adoption of fuel cell vehicles by 2020.

That is good news.

#47 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• 3,581 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 27 October 2013 - 15:24

Try ten to thirty minutes for a recharge...

Still not fast enough, if I need to refuel on my way to work for example, or to meet friends, I need the full power in 1 - 2 minutes capability that I get with my petrol powered car.

#48 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 8,192 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 15:47

Wow that thing is ugly, haha.  But yeah, there are some hydrogen fuel-cell cars out there that don't get much media attention. Mercedes and BMW have also had models for a few years now.  The biggest problem is that special fuel stations need to be built for these cars to ever have a chance.

Looks like Toyota has something interesting being developed:

http://green.autoblo...300-mile-range/

Not all THAT special - hydrogen fueling stations can be done on the same scale that CNG fueling stations have been; the same applies to pipelines.

The problem with hydrogen has been at the two ends (the vehicle end and the generation end) - not the middle.  (Oddly enough, the same is true of CNG - as I pointed out, CNG and hydrogen for vehicles aren't all that different; what's more, CNG is in use today.  The issue with CNG is that practicality is screwed over by lack of a fueling-facility system; even Royal Dutch Shell - the largest operator of CNG fueling stations in the US - doesn't have them everywhere, primarily due to regulatory issues.  Do you have ANY idea how many hoops there are to jump through to build a CNG fuel station, even for government fleet use?  Even biodiesel - which is primarily sourced from waste vegetable oil used in the quick-service restaurant business - is forced to go through quite a few hoops itself.  It's why CNG and biodiesel are primarily confined to fleet usage - in fact, the military, specifically, the United States Air Force, is among the largest users of both CNG and biodiesel.)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!