I cant believe it, i bought a fake.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 papercut2008uk

papercut2008uk

Neowinian

• 242 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 20:19

TL/DR Got a fake, emailed Ebay customer support and seller, what can i expect to happen?? (OCD over here!)

i know, everyone will say dont buy off of ebay. :D

so i bought a LED Lenser P17, after looking at the sellers feedback 1700+, going through the negative feedback it's about things not turning up and the seller being ill in hospital for a month so i disregarded it.

bid, won, paid, then realised the seller is from China. Feck!

so then i look all over the net for things to look at when i get it, what other people have found on them that are fake. when i get it, i look for everything, the slightest sign of it being a fake, nothing arouses my suspicion except the sellers address. so i'm relieved that it's most likely a genuine product.

email LED lenser with the serial number, they say it's fake!

contact seller, comes up with the usual bull, 'supplier sent samples and i sent one out to you by mistake' 'i make big loss, you get good bargain' then 'i refund you half and keep it'.

i'm not risking using a fake unreliable torch, especially with all the fake stuff that has been exploding in china!

as soon a i learnt it was a fake, i emailed Ebay about it, and then the seller, first he sort of confirms it's a fake, then he says it's not, then he says half refund, then full refund. waiting on what ebay will say.

he has sold hundreds of these, i'm sure no one who bought one from him suspects they bought a fake, because they are really good fakes. 

so what should i do? wait, let ebay sort it out and they will most likely ruin his whole business? take the refund from the seller, (he wants positive feedback, which i'm not going to leave)? 

anyone know the process to all of this, never had to go through the whole 'fake product' thing.

hopefully i'll be uploading some high resolution pictures of the 'fake' at some point, so anyone searching for it can find what to look for easier than i did.

#2 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,593 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 20:24

Get the refund and report to EBAY and let them decide what to do.  Copy any email correspondence and send to EBAY as well.  Regardless if the seller refunds the money, he wouldnt of if you didnt catch what he was trying to do.

#3 OP papercut2008uk

papercut2008uk

Neowinian

• 242 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:21

9810903605_c34481bd1d_o.jpg

can you believe thats a fake!?

even the documentation looks real, the box, the torch, they even done the batteries! 

#4 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,941 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:25

You got to realise that lot of fake from china are pretty much the real deal. Everything is done there these days. Often they illegally get access to the plan and they are able to build a mostly perfect replica. If it performs as well as the original for 10-15% of the cost i say keep it.

#5 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,941 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:30

can you believe thats a fake!?

even the documentation looks real, the box, the torch, they even done the batteries! 

The people behind those fakes are often the same people who are in charge of the manufactory where the build the real product. They have access to all the plans, docs, expertise, etc ... they create a smaller home made manufactory whwre they build fake the same way the build the real ones for a fraction of the price.

If you paid more than 25% of the real price then return it. If you paid 25% or under and it works i would not bother.

#6 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,465 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:34

as soon a i learnt it was a fake, i emailed Ebay about it, and then the seller, first he sort of confirms it's a fake, then he says it's not, then he says half refund, then full refund. waiting on what ebay will say.

So he offered a full refund. Take it, bin the torch and move on.

#7 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,285 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:35

The people behind those fakes are often the same people who are in charge of the manufactory where the build the real product. They have access to all the plans, docs, expertise, etc ... they create a smaller home made manufactory whwre they build fake the same way the build the real ones for a fraction of the price.

If you paid more than 25% of the real price then return it. If you paid 25% or under and it works i would not bother.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be something more like they ran the production line an extra hour everyday and used the extra production for cheap sales, who would know then and it's a lesser risk overall for them, if the company questioned anything they can easily claim it was to makeup for lost production or downtime 

#8 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,285 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:36

So he offered a full refund. Take it, bin the torch and move on.

Why throw it out? Get your full refund and use it with the knowledge it's "fake" and possibly unreliable

#9 OP papercut2008uk

papercut2008uk

Neowinian

• 242 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:39

hopefully the seller is going to give me a refund on it tomorrow, i'll probably keep it, there seems to be a hell of a lot of the fakes about.

#10 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

• 3,021 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:43

In eBay, you can filter your results to US sellers only. I never buy international from an unknown seller. I hope you gave them some negative feedback and I would definitely let eBay know what happened.

#11 saxondale.

saxondale.

Neowinian Senior

• 10,184 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:51

You got to realise that lot of fake from china are pretty much the real deal. Everything is done there these days. Often they illegally get access to the plan and they are able to build a mostly perfect replica. If it performs as well as the original for 10-15% of the cost i say keep it.

This is so far from the truth.  They can replicate the look of the product very well, but the build quality is shockingly low.  I've seen thousands of these replica products in China, met people that buy them and i can confidently say that i haven't seen any that are close to the real deal. True, a lot of manufacturing gets done in China, but the factories that make these knockoffs aren't anything close to the quality that foxconn etc produce

#12 +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

• 9,710 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 16:27

I love torches for some reason and this one looks cool (The real one lol)! Might have to check it out.

#13 OP papercut2008uk

papercut2008uk

Neowinian

• 242 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 19:52

I love torches for some reason and this one looks cool (The real one lol)! Might have to check it out.

i've got a few others, P5 and a P7. (which are Genuine! )

by far, the most surprising and the best is the P5, small, runs on 1 AA, and damn is it powerful! took it camping when i first got it, and i (along with everyone else) was surprised at how powerful it was, it lit up a whole cliff face, not the best running time, about 2-3 hours, but it's 1AA battery!

the P7 is a little bulky, 4AAA, extremely powerful, has 2 settings, the full power is double the P5's and the second is about the same as the P5's output. lasts absolutely ages on the battery's. 

also got a little 'Mini Cyba-lite  ETL5054' which is quite impressive for it's size. 

got a few others, but there nothing special. 

#14 +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

• 9,710 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 20:46

I might have a look at the P5 then! Thanks.

#15 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• 9,949 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 20:59

This is so far from the truth. They can replicate the look of the product very well, but the build quality is shockingly low. I've seen thousands of these replica products in China, met people that buy them and i can confidently say that i haven't seen any that are close to the real deal. True, a lot of manufacturing gets done in China, but the factories that make these knockoffs aren't anything close to the quality that foxconn etc produce

There are knockoffs, copies, and unreported inventory. Knockoffs are easy to spot and only superficial copies of the real product. Copies aim to be passed off as the real deal. Unreported inventory is the real deal - made from the same design, with the same materials, on the same equipment, in the same factory, just without records and without compensating the company that contracted production. You've probably seen knockoffs. You might have caught some copies. Off the books manufacturing is basically impossible to track down by simply looking at one sample.