'Breaking Bad' Inspires George R. Martin to Create Evil Character

y4uj.png

Game of Thrones author George R.R. Martin was among the many people blown away by Sunday's episode of Breaking Bad.

"Ozymandias," which portrayed big changes for the show and drew a series high 6.4 million viewers, showed Walter White (Bryan Cranston) at his most cruel. And it got Martin thinking.

"Amazing series. Amazing episode last night. Talk about a gut punch," Martin wrote in a blog post. "Walter White is a bigger monster than anyone in Westeros. (I need to do something about that)."

If Martin isn't satisfied with Joffrey's misdeeds, we're scared to find out what he has in store.

The author also went on to predict his HBO series' chances at Sunday's Primetime Emmys, where Thrones will go up against Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Downton Abbey, Homeland and House of Cards for outstanding drama series.

"This is the final season of BREAKING BAD. I think GAME OF THRONES may have a shot at upsetting BB for this year's Emmy (only a shot, though, I think they are the clear favorite), which pits us against their previous season... but there's no way in hell that anyone is going to defeat BREAKING BAD next year, when their last season is the one in contention," Martin wrote.

He added that the big splash Thrones made with its talked-about "Red Wedding" episode could give it the edge this year.

"Our profile is likely as high as it is ever going to be. We had a great season. If the Academy is ever going to give their ultimate accolade to a fantasy show (something that is by no means certain), it's going to be this year, I think," Martin wrote.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/breaking-bad-inspires-george-rr-631833

It would be GoT season 2(blackwater) versus BB season 4(no more "chicken" man, al a fring), and next year will be GoT season 3(red wedding) versus BB season 5(series finale!)

imho, BB wins but GoT is still in its own league.

Even if joking - the idea that someone is worse than the people we've seen in GoT (and a lot of things that have only appeared in books) is a little scary. I mean, if you think Ramsay Snow/Bolton's d***-in-a-box trick was bad - you ain't seen nothin yet.

I thought it was what's aired prior to the Emmy's, meaning GoT S3 vs BB S5a

Season 4 was nothing special?

I meant the first half of season 5 (which for all intents and purposes is an actual season, regardless of the marketing gimmick AMC is throwing at us). But even season 4 was far, far from the golden standard set by Breaking Bad during their first three seasons. 70% of season 4 was pure filler, and the Walt and Jesse dynamic was really missed. I understand things had to change to fit the story's progression, but imo they really mistreated Jesse's character by turning him too moapy.

'Red Wedding' that is all :)

At best the mother will take home an emmy. The rest was just shock and awe, nothing emmy worthy about it.

At best the mother will take home an emmy. The rest was just shock and awe, nothing emmy worthy about it.

Yeah, I'd agree with this (not the shock and awe, despite popular opinion RW has far reaching causes and consequences), just that overall this season of GoT also managed to somehow suffer from the non-event syndrome in a couple of episodes mid season, which is a sin considering the source material. But Game of Throne's time is still yet to come, and considering it'll be on screen for at least four more years, I think the critics will eventually warm up to it, if they keep the quality consistent.