Photo

SSD Boot time

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 Radium

Radium

Neowinian

Posted 23 September 2013 - 22:35

What program is on the far left that you find so annoying?  If you don't use it why don't you uninstall it, or disable the service via services.msc.

It's a certificate application used to identify myself to government services online.

#32 demon_speed

demon_speed

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Sony Ericsson T707

Posted 24 September 2013 - 17:36

My boot to a ready desktop only took 41 sec :)! Used BootRacer.

#33 MillionVoltss

MillionVoltss

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 September 2013 - 17:51

Might be because you've spilt the Primary Partition, Try keeping the SSD as one. Also check its performing at its speed, Im guessing 500mbs.

Side note, I asked somewhere else. Vertex 2 60mb to Samsung 840 Evo 256mb worth it ?

#34 OP devnulllore

devnulllore

Neowin-aholic

Posted 25 September 2013 - 14:04

27 seconds to responsive desktop seems slow to me with your newer system and an OS that is suppose to boot faster.

I have the same SSD disk, so should be seeing same speed on that. Unless your loading a lot of stuff, you should be faster than my old system running old bios, not uefi on old I5 cpu from 2011.

Are you not getting the performance out of the SSD that you should be - what is your benchmarks from samsung magician show?

Yes, it just does not seem on par with other 840 Pros with similar specs. 

I Have the latest firmware.
I Ran Performance Optimization, yes I know that won't effect the benchmark but I have not done this in quite a while.
Oh, and I also have it overprivisioned.

Benchmark Results

Sequential Read: 561
Sequential Write: 147
Random Read: 86375
Random Write: 33980

Thanks,

#35 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 25 September 2013 - 14:15

Not too bad I suppose, recently rebuilt this one system for my daughter and curious as to how it stacked up. Frankenbuild of random parts which includes a 6 core Vishera OC'd to 4.5GHz and a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, Windows 7, user directory isn't on the SSD and has a moderate number of programs starting up with it.  That's cold obviously, usually it's asleep.

2gt2.png

#36 OP devnulllore

devnulllore

Neowin-aholic

Posted 25 September 2013 - 14:31

Well, in the Samsung Magician software there is the OS optimization tool but it seems to want to load some settings I always understood were not good for desktop system as opposed to something like a server.

It wants to do this:

Enable Hibernate

Enable Large System Cache

Set VM to a static 200M size

Enable Indexing

Turn off super and prefetch (which I do anyway)

Deavtivate Write-Cache Buffer 

Deavtivate Write-Cache Buffer Flushing (Already Done)

Enable High Performance Power Plan (Not sure if I should change anything)

Manualy set system restore settings (I don't use it, I use True Image to make snapshots)

Just checking on these.

Thanks,

#37 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 25 September 2013 - 14:34

mine takes about that and i'm running two crucial M4 512GB in raid 0.. i've never really been impressed with the, 

#38 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 93
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 15:41

Those writes seem a bit low.

benchmarksssd.png

Do you have LPM turned off? Do you have latest intel RST installed?

#39 Radium

Radium

Neowinian

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:50

Making sure that AHCI is enabled and that you have the latest Intel INF and Intel RST installed is a key to enable all hardware features of a Intel chipset and all its integrated components.
Intel INF is not important to update if your board is more than a few months old. Install once and the OS takes care of the rest.
Updating Intel RST is important as long as the controller you use is still supported by the software.
Failing to turn on AHCI and installing the proper drivers will yield bad performance and things such as NCQ and TRIM might not function as intended.

I can't put more emphasis on this:
If you have a Intel chipset, install Intel INF.
If you have an Intel ATA/SATA controller (integrated into chipset or not), install the latest version of Intel RST that supports your controller and OS.
This applies regardless of what type of devices you connect to the motherboard and the manufacturer of the device.

#40 OP devnulllore

devnulllore

Neowin-aholic

Posted 29 September 2013 - 15:29

Making sure that AHCI is enabled and that you have the latest Intel INF and Intel RST installed is a key to enable all hardware features of a Intel chipset and all its integrated components.
Intel INF is not important to update if your board is more than a few months old. Install once and the OS takes care of the rest.
Updating Intel RST is important as long as the controller you use is still supported by the software.
Failing to turn on AHCI and installing the proper drivers will yield bad performance and things such as NCQ and TRIM might not function as intended.

I can't put more emphasis on this:
If you have a Intel chipset, install Intel INF.
If you have an Intel ATA/SATA controller (integrated into chipset or not), install the latest version of Intel RST that supports your controller and OS.
This applies regardless of what type of devices you connect to the motherboard and the manufacturer of the device.

HI,

Not entirely sure if this was just a reply for the last person but just to sum up I do have AHCI enabled and the latest Intel INF. It is my understanding that the Intel RST driver was for Raid setups only, I do not have a Raid setup. Do I in fact still need this?

Sorry for the ignorance on this subject.

Thanks,

#41 Radium

Radium

Neowinian

Posted 29 September 2013 - 18:38

HI,

Not entirely sure if this was just a reply for the last person but just to sum up I do have AHCI enabled and the latest Intel INF. It is my understanding that the Intel RST driver was for Raid setups only, I do not have a Raid setup. Do I in fact still need this?

Thanks,

Intel RST is for AHCI and RAID.

#42 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia 521

Posted 29 September 2013 - 19:19

The boot time is in the Event Viewer seems very wrong FYI.

I get 23511ms which seems extremely off, probably because it is going by Skydrive and Rainmeter start time.

EDIT: Yep, just rebooted again and pulled up Even Viewer. It doesn't even have an "Windows has started up:" event for this reboot.

EDIT2: Clean reboot 18085ms in Event Viewer. Any one know how much this time is affected by having one mechanical HD with 2 SSDs?

Edited by _Alexander, 29 September 2013 - 19:25.

#43 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 93
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 29 September 2013 - 22:42

Your going to want RST yes - will allow you to easy enable or disable LPM from there depending on what you want.  Your low IOPS might be due to LPM being enabled.

#44 MindTrickz

MindTrickz

That's no way to treat a lady!

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:55

Curious how your timing it.. You mention to the login screen..  18 seconds seems kind of long to me with a SSD, I have the same one your using for your boot.  Your using the 840 pro?  You stated that in your text, but in the specs you listed you only say 840 series.  Thought win8 was suppose to be faster boot?  I'm still on win7

So as you can see from the soluto log, I'm too a responsive desktop in 19 seconds.  And I am using much older/cheaper hardware than you for sure..  Old dell xps 8300 box..

attachicon.gifboottime.png

And you don't list number of apps - but I run quite a bit total of 64..  I would be curious to see what soluto gives you for boot time.  Its free, you can always uninstall it you don't like it, etc.

But thinking your just looking at your watch or something for a time - which is not always very accurate way of doing a benchmark ;)

I have never been one to try and tweak bootup - doesn't really matter to me since my box is on 24/7 etc..  But the SSD sure are quick!!  Wish I would of joined the party a few years back..

edit: ok so moved a couple apps to delayed start.. So now I am to a responsive desktop in 18 seconds.. Same time it takes yours to get to login screen? 

attachicon.giftweakedboot.png

Setup autologin and lets see what your soluto says for your boot time..

Those writes seem a bit low.

attachicon.gifbenchmarksssd.png

Do you have LPM turned off? Do you have latest intel RST installed?

What software are you using in those two pics?

#45 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:27

HI,

Thanks,

Make sure AHCI is enabled on your drive thats a biggy but you do realise that the SSD's speed at loading up an OS in NOT in its read write speed???? its in its seek time. normal HD's are like 7ms and SSD is like less then 0.1ms thats what loads an OS up fast. Finding, searching and executing tons of small files really fast. dont get into the whole speed game becuase unless your loading games/app off your SSD youll never see an internal wiorte speed that high. Your highest speed is limited to the jhighest bit of low tech ou have