Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Map Services

Question

Posted

How reliable are Nokia's map apps at giving directions to places?

20 answers to this question

Posted

They use NAVTEQ which is now HERE and they were the top one, however Google's mapping data gets updated more frequently and is typically more accurate in my region. 

Posted

They use NAVTEQ which is now HERE and they were the top one, however Google's mapping data gets updated more frequently and is typically more accurate in my region. 

OK, shame Google doesn't support Windows Phone which means Google probably hasn't made an app for Windows Phone, but I suppose its good to hear that HERE is one of the ones at top even if its not updated as much.

Posted

With the limited data set it does have, it still has a good routing engine. 

Posted

Well I guess it will get most the directions with one of two mistakes, but if the routing engine is good it won't be too much trouble.

Posted

You should be good to go with it... I've tested worse. can't get any worse then apple maps.

1 person likes this

Posted

That's good! :)

At least there aren't any stories of HERE leading people into rivers.

1 person likes this

Posted

As observed, Navteq is the mapping provider that Nokia owns.

In Australia, Navteq is damned good. It just depends on where you are.

Here Drive is brilliant in that it lets you download the maps and not have to stream them across your connection. On top of that it's fully featured and extremely customisable. This affects routing.

I've only once had trouble with the maps and I've been driving with them for years (had a 6210? Navigator before my windows phones), and that was in a single location where it would send me on a loop. In its defence, Navman did the same thing >.>

tl;dr - Depends where you live, but they are mostly good.

1 person likes this

Posted

Didn't know you could download the maps for offline use. :)

Also I hope the first time I use it I won't run into the looping issue.

Posted

I wish Google maps had full offline.. it has caching but it's limited usage. :( 

I tried a few free offline mapping apps and a lot of them sucked :( 

Posted

I wish Google maps had full offline.. it has caching but it's limited usage. :(

I tried a few free offline mapping apps and a lot of them sucked :(

Honestly I thought Google would be one of the first companies to add offline usage, well at Nokia's app has it as it could come in handy.

1 person likes this

Posted

Yeah since people might go into areas with no coverage or areas where it's not fast enough...

1 person likes this

Posted

I use it in India and its pretty good! I won't say its at par with Google Maps but its pretty accurate and works well. Downloading offline map data is pretty awesome.

1 person likes this

Posted

Yeah since people might go into areas with no coverage or areas where it's not fast enough...

Agreed! Its also useful if you don't want to use your data as well. :)

1 person likes this

Posted

It can only get better, they're adding more data to HERE and by extension Bing Maps as time goes on.  MS has a new deal with a company that collects local data for maps, like where shops are located and so on.    The only difference I've noticed between HERE/Bing and Google as far as my area of the world goes is that Google has a bit newer images, all the road/street data is the same though so IMO as far as directions go it should be fine.    I've used Bing Maps on WP in Athens for directions a few times and it's been spot on, and often it's shown me how to get to a persons house so we're not talking about something well known.

1 person likes this

Posted

Good to see that most members think its reliable. :)

Also I've got another question, if the bus timetables change how long does it take for the information to be updated?

Posted

I've noticed that HERE Transit schedules aren't the most accurate though. It also suggests a lot of routes that are non-optimal. Forces me to have to double check it with the official transit webapp.

Posted

Uh oh doesn't sound as reliable as I thought it would be. :/

Posted

Both Bing Maps and Here Maps just got updates today to their offline map data.  So check in the settings and update yours if you use them.

Posted

Both Bing Maps and Here Maps just got updates today to their offline map data.  So check in the settings and update yours if you use them.

And to think I was thought all sorted downloading some offline maps a few days again and now there's an update available. Will download the update when I get the chance. :)