#166 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 27 September 2013 - 20:08

There is no full version of Windows 8.

there is OEM and upgrade. 

Also upgrade are usually cheaper than the OEM and also, that is the pro version. also list price/RRP is a meaningless measure that no one follows. 

So not only did you fail to link a full version in your defense of the high price of the full version, you also failed to prove the price of said full version. And the OEM version IS the full version(though due to pressure from idiots they will add a full retail package with 8.1), the pro version of the OEM is also $140. Though then explain to me why you think you need the pro version over the normal full version. 

#167 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 27 September 2013 - 20:19

There is no full version of Windows 8.

there is OEM and upgrade. 

Also upgrade are usually cheaper than the OEM and also, that is the pro version. also list price/RRP is a meaningless measure that no one follows. 

So not only did you fail to link a full version in your defense of the high price of the full version, you also failed to prove the price of said full version. And the OEM version IS the full version(though due to pressure from idiots they will add a full retail package with 8.1), the pro version of the OEM is also $140. Though then explain to me why you think you need the pro version over the normal full version. 

Microsoft wants $119.99 for an upgrade to Windows 8.

Looks like the OEM you linked is actually cheaper than the upgrade... :huh:

(somehow I feel we're getting off topic though)

#168 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 27 September 2013 - 20:41

The full boxed copy (non OEM) of Windows 8 pro upgrade is usually 200$. It is curently 70$ on Newegg (80$ on Amazon) but the normal price is 200$.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16832416562

http://www.amazon.co...s=windows 8 pro

Nice try though.

ummm, why would someone buy the boxed version when the oem version is so much cheaper?

Anyone that is building their own pc can go on Amazon and see the oem versions are cheaper. 

How about we not get so off topic with a silly argument like the cost of Windows to the end user.

I can see them supporting it if they can make money on it. Some game publishers like EA are software people and don't care about the platform. Xbox or PS4 or Steam is all the same to them, I would think.

Then why did EA create the Origin service and cut back support of Steam?  They obviously felt there was more profit to be had by not working with Steam.

Here is a question, does Valve get a cut of all sales that go through Steam?  I had assumed that the answer was yes, but I don't know for sure.

Either way, Steam is a store basically and Valve wants to create an OS where Steam is front and center, providing you with a complete gaming experience.  They want you to only buy from their store.  Compare that to Windows today.  MS has a Windows Store where they also take a piece of each sale.  The difference is that their is already a strong pc gaming market that is open for anyone to use and MS has done nothing to get in the way of that. 

#169 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 27 September 2013 - 21:05

Then why did EA create the Origin service and cut back support of Steam?  They obviously felt there was more profit to be had by not working with Steam.

Here is a question, does Valve get a cut of all sales that go through Steam?  I had assumed that the answer was yes, but I don't know for sure.

Either way, Steam is a store basically and Valve wants to create an OS where Steam is front and center, providing you with a complete gaming experience.  They want you to only buy from their store.  Compare that to Windows today.  MS has a Windows Store where they also take a piece of each sale.  The difference is that their is already a strong pc gaming market that is open for anyone to use and MS has done nothing to get in the way of that.

You're right, however it isn't that they could make more money off their games by not going with Valve, but rather they were likely more influenced by the potential of money they could MAKE by having a similar platform on their hands, with big "AAA" games to back it.

If they really cared about the money they could make for a single game, they'd have released to Steam considering most PC gamers are on Steam and made a buttload of money. However, by pulling people onto their platform, they're making an investment to make more money in the future. EA is thinking big picture here (and not of the Steam kind lol).

As a gamer, I welcome more competition at least. Though, I still stay a bit wary of EA just because of their history and continued practices.

Edit - Also, I like how negative some people are about Steam OS, being quick to dismiss it entirely while Microsoft prefers to pay attention to what's going on. Just goes to show that sometimes the fans are much worse in how they put on blinders to ignore everything else, than the companies they actually support.

"The announcement was only made last night so I'm still studying all the facts Valve has released. But Valve is a very impressive company, and obviously we're going to be watching what they do with great interest." - Phil Harrison

#170 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 September 2013 - 21:34

You're right, however it isn't that they could make more money off their games by not going with Valve, but rather they were likely more influenced by the potential of money they could MAKE by having a similar platform on their hands, with big "AAA" games to back it.

If they really cared about the money they could make for a single game, they'd have released to Steam considering most PC gamers are on Steam and made a buttload of money. However, by pulling people onto their platform, they're making an investment to make more money in the future. EA is thinking big picture here (and not of the Steam kind lol).

As a gamer, I welcome more competition at least. Though, I still stay a bit wary of EA just because of their history and continued practices.

I agree, that's how I take the whole EA deal.  We can be wary of EA sure, but I think we can also agree that it probably isn't terrible business wise to be wary of Valve.

That's why I'm wondering how successful Valve can really be with this move.  I know everyone wants to avoid comparing it to a console, but lets face reality here.  Valve is making a pitch for a new console platform.  Yes its a Linux OS dressed in Steam clothing, but Valve's own words tells us that they are aiming for a Steam platform top to bottom.  That would be like MS creating a version of windows where the only store for games was the Windows Store (which by the way is basically what the X1 is).

I'm very interested to see how this all progresses.  In the end, I hope it spurs more overall competition and improvements to the gaming experience.  I also hope it means MS gets into high gear to do what it can to make the gaming experience on Windows as good as it can be.  For Valve and Steam itself, I'm personally more interested in how they continue to improve the Steam app on Windows.  However, if they can prove to me that gaming is drastically better via SteamOS than Windows, I will give it a try myself.

#171 Grinch

Grinch

Developer

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 27 September 2013 - 22:41

Man I love watching this thread. Brings me some entertainment heh.

I do not understand why someone is arguing over the pro version of Windows 8 costing $200, big whoop. Not everyone is going to go for the pro version. The basic version is $119.99 from Microsoft, the pro version is $199.99 from Microsoft and the pro pack (upgrade from basic to pro) is $99.99, again, from Microsoft. Deal with it already. I'm not even sure what was being argued about it but honestly if you're going to compare the price of something, compare all the prices, because comparing the highest price is just dumb.

I'm done now. :p

#172 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 28 September 2013 - 00:36

So now we have SteamOS, the Steam Box, and now the Steam Controller.

http://news.cnet.com...like-trackpads/

This is gonna be so awesome.

#173 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:15

So now we have SteamOS, the Steam Box, and now the Steam Controller.

http://news.cnet.com...like-trackpads/

This is gonna be so awesome.

Yeah that controller is very interesting.  I don't know if I like it or not, but I really want to try it out.  I hope its usable outside of Steam as well. 

I'll say this for Valve, they are trying to do something different with that controller, so I commend them for that.  Now we will have to wait and see if the whole package amounts to something great or a disappointment.

#174 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 29 September 2013 - 17:34

speaking of bad linux drivers and install problems. I just installed mint 15 on my old laptop with an nvidia card(since my new one needs to go in again, it's an Acer and I got the monday model apparently...) the OS based on the same os SteamOS will be based on. go into the easy to use one click driver manager. click the Nvidia -310 recommended driver, and click apply changes. it works for about a second, then finished and the checkbox is back to the POS xserverblablablabla-nouveau driver....

easy peasy ;)

#175 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 September 2013 - 00:57

^ Not to nitpick, but I thought SteamOS was based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

#176 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:42

ku-xlarge.jpg

#177 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:49

^ Not to nitpick, but I thought SteamOS was based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

They haven't said yet. The current Steam client for Linux is targeted at 12.04 LTS. It also will run on plain Debian.

#178 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:01

They haven't said yet. The current Steam client for Linux is targeted at 12.04 LTS. It also will run on plain Debian.

My bad. I thought I had read it was based off of 12.04. They would be crazy not to, in my opinion. They will need that kind of long term support to woo developers.

#179 Athernar

Athernar

?

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:20

My bad. I thought I had read it was based off of 12.04. They would be crazy not to, in my opinion. They will need that kind of long term support to woo developers.

Going with (rather staying with) Ubuntu is probably a bad idea in the long run because of Mir and etc, I get the feeling that even if they have used 12.04 as a base - they've probably tinkered with and replaced a number of components.

#180 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:48

speaking of bad linux drivers and install problems. I just installed mint 15 on my old laptop with an nvidia card(since my new one needs to go in again, it's an Acer and I got the monday model apparently...) the OS based on the same os SteamOS will be based on. go into the easy to use one click driver manager. click the Nvidia -310 recommended driver, and click apply changes. it works for about a second, then finished and the checkbox is back to the POS xserverblablablabla-nouveau driver....

easy peasy ;)

The "easy" Canonical's jockey app (although now that's not a standalone app I'm not sure if it's still called jockey) is unfortunately quite lacking.

It's not that it doesn't work but that it usually gives zero feedback about what's going on. Ie. if your driver is installed then fine, but if it isn't it doesn't really tell anything usefull about what the hell happened.

The easiest method that actually both works and tells you if things went right or wrong is installing the nvidia-current package from Synaptic.