• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#16 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:38

:rofl: You guys make me laugh. The iMac is not some cheap computer that was slapped together and then had a high price tag thrown on. It's a premium device made of premium materials. Does Apple put a mark up on the price? of course! but so do every other company, if they sold it for what it cost them that wouldn't be good business now would it? then there is the fact your getting the best customer service from any company on the planet, yeah Apple sure are ripping you off  :rolleyes:

EDIT: If another company can built an AiO that is to the same high standard, build quality, thinness and equally as powerful as an iMac and yet is considerably cheaper (and that company doesn't go bankrupt trying to sell it) THEN I'll believe an iMac is over priced.

The only thing "premium" on an iMac, and I have one, is the case, nothing else, the rest are off the shelf parts you can buy on Newegg, if you want to over pay for a fancy case, then by all means do it, but don't make patently false claims about the iMac, you will be called out on them

#17 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:39

how about comparing

http://www.dell.com/...id=xps-14-l421x

to

http://store.apple.c...igure/MD101LL/A

where all the specs are equal or greater than the apple but hundreds cheaper?

#18 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:45

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, it happens to us all unfortunately. However, based on customer satisfaction polls Apple still has the highest level of satisfied customers, so while it is regrettable they treated you badly as a whole they are still better then most. I'm pretty sure you get AppleCare level of customer service for the first year and then have to pay to extend it beyond that year (which is pretty standard practise) but maybe I am wrong? I bought my Mac mini in '09 so can't remember if that was the case or not. 

Building a PC from scratch will always be cheaper, while in Australia we don't have "newegg" but we do have access to similar stores that offer quality parts for low cost. However, that isn't the point as you can under price virtual any OEM PC going the custom route. The point is most OEM PCs that are equal (in terms of power) but much cheaper in price tend to be of questionable build quality and the PCs that are of higher build quality tend to be as (or sometimes more) expensive then the Mac equivalent. Comparing same-for-same the Macs are not as expensive as most people think.

when they refused to refund/replace the ipod i went home and uninstalled itunes from all home PCs.. it was also one of the deciding factors that led me to get a HTC 8Xt Windows phone.

#19 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:52

At least compare like for like.. factor in the form factor, build quality and display..

Plus the cost to assemble those components into a computer. Yes, your time might be free - but for the average non-tech savvy consumer, they'd have to pay for someone at a reasonable rate the cost of building that PC, installing the OS, etc. That would surely add another couple hundred dollars to the build price. But again, I guess it's convenient to ignore the other factors that go into the pricing of the system.

You also have, as I like to point out, excellent resale value on Apple hardware. Residuals are often a major factor when deciding on spending more on a car for example, as you know it will be worth more when you sell it on say two years down the line. I don't see why taking this into consideration on a computer should be any different. 

#20 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:53

:rofl: You guys make me laugh. The iMac is not some cheap computer that was slapped together and then had a high price tag thrown on. It's a premium device made of premium materials. Does Apple put a mark up on the price? of course! but so do every other company, if they sold it for what it cost them that wouldn't be good business now would it? then there is the fact your getting the best customer service from any company on the planet, yeah Apple sure are ripping you off  :rolleyes:

EDIT: If another company can built an AiO that is to the same high standard, build quality, thinness and equally as powerful as an iMac and yet is considerably cheaper (and that company doesn't go bankrupt trying to sell it) THEN I'll believe an iMac is over priced.

You sound just like this apple fan boy I work with. He thinks apple can do no wrong. Seriously dude get a clue, those parts aren't any more high quality than any other OEM. They all use the same freaking chipsets and parts. There is nothing of higher quality. All apple products are just over priced stuff that's just made with Chinese slave labor. And before you say apple is moving its manufacturing back to the USA, they are only doing that because its getting to be cheaper to build some of it here than over seas. Also more people are looking at the whole made in the USA tag thing because outsourcing is giving away American jobs.

#21 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:54

Plus the cost to assemble those components into a computer. Yes, your time might be free - but for the average non-tech savvy consumer, they'd have to pay for someone at a reasonable rate the cost of building that PC, installing the OS, etc. That would surely add another couple hundred dollars to the build price. But again, I guess it's convenient to ignore the other factors that go into the pricing of the system.

You also have, as I like to point out, excellent resale value on Apple hardware. Residuals are often a major factor when deciding on spending more on a car for example, as you know it will be worth more when you sell it on say two years down the line. I don't see why taking this into consideration on a computer should be any different. 

i can compare the resale value on a mac to the reusability of componets on my build. i can keep the moniter, case, power supply, keyboard, mouse, and depending on how cheap i want to go in the upgrade process i could even keep the ram and hdd depending on how obsolete they are.

#22 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:54

Kind of what they pay the Chinese slaves to build the same system?

#23 Yazoo

Yazoo

Just a regular guy

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:56

I can buy a family car and buy after market upgrades on the cheap or I can pay a premium and buy a ready made sports car.  I know which I would choose.

edit: oh by the way welcome to 10 years ago :p

#24 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:59

Kind of what they pay the Chinese slaves to build the same system?

You're telling me Apple are the only company that do this? Microsoft, Samsung, etc will all be taking advantage of the same cheap labour. So your point is what exactly? 

There's no point in singling Apple out for this - every single big tech company is just as bad. 

#25 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:00

You're telling me Apple are the only company that do this? Microsoft, Samsung, etc will all be taking advantage of the same cheap labour. So your point is what exactly? 

There's no point in singling Apple out for this - every single big tech company is just as bad. 

he was dismanteling your point on the extra cost of putting together the computer when it's really pennies being paid to slaves in china.

#26 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:02

The only thing "premium" on an iMac, and I have one, is the case, nothing else, the rest are off the shelf parts you can buy on Newegg, if you want to over pay for a fancy case, then by all means do it, but don't make patently false claims about the iMac, you will be called out on them

Then if that is how you feel, why did you bother buying the iMac to begin with may I ask?

how about comparing

http://www.dell.com/...id=xps-14-l421x

to

http://store.apple.c...igure/MD101LL/A

where all the specs are equal or greater than the apple but hundreds cheaper?

I'm not talking about laptops, this thread is about the iMac not the MacBook Pro. The MacBooks are a different kettle of fish entirely, those things will always be expensive when you realise how much it costs to machine those unibody cases. There was a reason nobody did it before, it costs a truck load to do (and is wasteful, although I believe Apple do recycle what they can) and Apple had to build plants specifically for it. They are just passing that cost onto the consumer and since consumers are just lapping it up they have no incentive to reduce the cost after recouping the cost of developing the machinery etc.

You sound just like this apple fan boy I work with. He thinks apple can do no wrong. Seriously dude get a clue, those parts aren't any more high quality than any other OEM. They all use the same freaking chipsets and parts. There is nothing of higher quality. All apple products are just over priced stuff that's just made with Chinese slave labor. And before you say apple is moving its manufacturing back to the USA, they are only doing that because its getting to be cheaper to build some of it here than over seas. Also more people are looking at the whole made in the USA tag thing because outsourcing is giving away American jobs.

Now your putting words in my mouth. I never said Apple can do no wrong, I'm not a complete fan of Apple although I do appreciate some of the things they do and give them credit where it's due (but I certainly do not worship them or view everything they do with rose coloured glasses). Manufacturing is a moot point, many companies outsource because it's cheaper. 

#27 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:03

he was dismanteling your point on the extra cost of putting together the computer when it's really pennies being paid to slaves in china.

I understand that. But my point is that in order for you to buy the parts yourself, and then assemble them into a working computer, has a financial cost. Simply having a box of PC parts turn up at your door, isn't equivalent to buying an iMac, opening the box and putting it on your desk.

#28 Yazoo

Yazoo

Just a regular guy

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:07

really, you can buy the parts that fit inside that all-in-one case, can you direct me to where they are so I can buy them please?

#29 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:16

the intel iris pro beats the pants off a 6750M.

Aja??? the 6750M was rated one of the best discrete cards solutions, Hell, I was able to play crysis 3 on medium with it, I want to see an "Iris Pro" intel beat that.

#30 ManMountain

ManMountain

Neowinian

• Phone: LG Nexus 5

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:25

Take the 27" iMac currently available on the UK store, adjust to an i7 processor, 32GB RAM, 500 GB SSD and the cost is £2, 498.99 incl. VAT or $4, 010.70 dollars. I'm not interested in aesthetics, I want performance and reliability. Building the system isn't a chore to me and I'm also content with manufacturers component warranties.

A quick perusal on my preferred online PC store shows me that for £2, 292.86 I could assemble a superior system with higher premium components than used in an iMac. To even suggest an iMac is somehow constructed with custom premium parts is laughable.

I can understand the reason the customer base exists but I'd never become one, I want the best performance and value for my money, so I'll continue to go elsewhere.