Photo

Have you gone or thought about returning to Windows 7?

windows 7

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#61 flynempire

flynempire

It's called the bat and yes Mr. Wayne it comes in black :)

• OS: Windows 7 Pro SP-1, Windows 8.1 (RT) Android 4.1.2 Windows 8.1 Up1
  • Phone: Samsung Exhibit (Latest Model)

Posted 26 September 2013 - 15:36

I never left. Love it and works for me fine.  I did try Windows 8 and did not like it.

#62 cropcircles

cropcircles

Neowinian

Posted 26 September 2013 - 16:05

Tried 8 a couple times and it seemed to take more work to get where I wanted. Metro is useless to me. I've created my own shortcuts on 7 to go right to any file in on click, not two or three. I'd like to know the age of people using W8 and on what devices. Tablets, phones, desktops ?

- I believe the real failure of Windows 8 is the failed attempt at having businesses switching over to it from XP or 7. Its not going to happen.  Companies were slow in the first place, if at all to switch from XP to 7. The learning curve in training thousands of workers to adapt to W8 from the traditional XP or W7 would be too steep and costly.

#63 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 September 2013 - 16:10

Still on Windows 7.. use my iDevices more than my desktop these days. Only time I get any real work done on a PC is at work. 

#64 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 26 September 2013 - 17:16

I'm not a nerd who's going to remember those codes.  That's not easy for an average user.

Typing those letters is much easier than working out how to do these things without the "codes". And you don't have to remember them, you need them once, since:

thisworkstoo.png

works too, and even has the correct icon by default. Matching the one in control panel.

#65 Excelsis

Excelsis

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:19

Switched to Windows 8 during the RC and although I went back to 7 until the final release of 8, I ended up buying the upgrade for $15 and haven't gone back yet.

I used the start screen for awhile since I didn't mind it but last month I realized I never used metro apps so I bought Startisback and have been very happy to have the start menu back since I don't have to clutter my desktop with the documents/music/photo/etc folders now. Its pretty much Windows 7 but better.

I don't see why I'd go back to 7, I do miss Aero glass and all the msstyles I had though... But it was the same when I went from XP to 7, I can get over it.

#66 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Phone: Android

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:26

Windows 8 is light years better than 7, I see no reason to downgrade to a worse OS

#67 +DConnell

DConnell

Madman with a blue box

• Phone: Lumia 1520 running Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 27 September 2013 - 13:23

Bought Windows 8 on release day and haven't looked back. They're both solid operating systems, but I like the start screen much more than the button/menu concept. Plus 8 seems much more responsive than 7.

Win8 does feel unpolished in places, but that makes perfect sense, really. We're seeing the start of a new UI concept after 17 years of the start button. It feels a lot like Win95 did back in the day - imperfect but with a lot of great ideas that just need a little refinement.

#68 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 27 September 2013 - 13:37

I never switched to 8. I probably will whenever I get around to building a new computer. 8.1 may make the switch more enticing/less frustrating, so that will help too.

#69 TheDisneyMagic

TheDisneyMagic

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 27 September 2013 - 13:45

All of our work machines and my personal machines are running 8 or 8.1 and I am completely happy with it. It almost feels a little retro for me when I use 7 as I have been using 8 since the original Developer Preview.

#70 bigmehdi

bigmehdi

Neowinian

Posted 27 September 2013 - 13:45

Windows 8 is light years better than 7, I see no reason to downgrade to a worse OS

I coud understand that some people would prefer windows 8; but these exaggerations are just non-sense to me.

It's as if windows 7 was already obsolete , which I  think is bit silly : windows 8 looks for the most part like windows 7,

with that metro layer / logic  over it. It's precisely that metro thing that some people don't want to accept,

although it seems that are ways to ignore it .

#71 Mugwump00

Mugwump00

Neowinian

Posted 27 September 2013 - 14:01

Windows 8/8.1 is so much more than old Windows-plus-Metro apps-minus-the Start Menu.

So many small things;

- Cleaner Explorer, ribbon (or not), more useful stuff in "This PC" window, copy/move dialogues

- PIN logon

- Multi-monitor taskbar

- Storage spaces

- Cool lock-screen slideshows

- loads of other stuff I can't think of right now...

- & best of all - 'borrowing' Windows 2012R2's best feature - FS Deduplication FTW!

#72 hell77doom

hell77doom

Neowinian

Posted 27 September 2013 - 18:32

I don't know if this happened to you guys, but after I did upgrade from windows 7 to windows 8.1; I was prompt to enter password for my local account then I was prompt to provide outlook.com account and when I did computer logged in with outlook.com account. So I went to User Accounts to disconnect outlook account and then windows 8.1 is asking me to create local account instead of giving me option to use the one which already exist, so I had to create another local account, log in back to my original local account and delete second local account. Windows 8.1 brings really nice performance but everything else is messed up, out of box. After uninstalling Metro Apps (don't use them), Windows 8.1 turned out to suffer from same issue as Windows 8, pretty unusable. Browsing apps through Apps Metro screen is just eye killing process, literally I get lost there since everything is just dump on screen. Again due performance improvements and installed Start 8 which makes Windows 8x OS usable in my opinion. A lot of annoyances are still present in Windows 8. Some options are removed from Control Panel so you are forced now to go to PC Settings, still major mess there. Search through Metro is major annoyance since it takes me from desktop to full metro screen, just so bad for eyes and then everywhere search option is just hell of over doing not bringing anything I am looking for. So I disabled Bing, also I disabled Sky Drive which is pretty useless compared to Bit Casa I use. Apparently Photos and Camera cannot be uninstalled along with Sky Drive but again I had to change default photo editor so I doesn't open Photo Metro App while I am on Desktop which lacks even simple option like Print.

Overall, I am not sure what is worse, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, just terrible experience for desktop users. Again, Start 8 resolves all issues, pretty much don't have to go to Metro world ever. I was thinking about going to Windows 7 but no need since Start 8 does a trick, again some performance improvements I get with Windows 8 is a plus. I do miss Aero interface, this one looks too boring and flat, but that's just my preference. Acronis True Image is replacement for useless System Restore and File Backup built in Windows 8. Also boot process with Windows 8 is same as with Windows 7 since I disabled hibernation and sleep, something which is out of option for overclocked high end system. As far as anything else Windows 8 doesn't bring anything new worth mentioning. Lock screen is rather a joke, like some flash card which plays no purpose for me since I don't use Metro Apps and don't care about notifications on it.

That would be my mini review of Windows 8.

MS -> please bring Windows 9 and separate Desktop OS from Table/Phone OS.

#73 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 September 2013 - 18:37

I have a windows 7 OEM DVD, if it was a retail DVD in an instant.  My PC came with Windows 8, so I don't know if anything wouldn't work or not.  

#74 hell77doom

hell77doom

Neowinian

Posted 27 September 2013 - 18:41

I have a windows 7 OEM DVD, if it was a retail DVD in an instant.  My PC came with Windows 8, so I don't know if anything wouldn't work or not.  

Probably would, just get drivers from OEM for Windows 7. Most of those drivers support Windows 7/8 so you should be fine.

#75 _dandy_

_dandy_

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 September 2013 - 18:42

As far as Windows is concerned, I've used every version of it since 3.0.

I didn't like the betas/preview versions much, but I'm now using a couple of machines with 8 on it daily and frankly I no longer see what the big fuss is.  8's just another evolutionary step.  I use different machines all the time with different OSes and can switch back and forth without a second thought.  My world isn't crumbling around me because of Windows 8.