Why is IE 11.0.9600.16384 so broken in Windows 7?

This happened in the previous version of IE 11 and this one too: Appearently it breaks sites.

For example, on Neowin, the quick reply does not work. You have to go thru the complete reply page to post. You hit the quick reply button and nothing happens.

Why does this happen?

There is a thread in SFI regarding that https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1163438-ie11-support/page-3#entry595944135

For the quick replay/quote, Neobond & GreyWolf said that there were some hooks in the ICP rich text editor that were incorrectly detecting the IE version, hooks the Neowin staff does not control on.

There are plenty of web sites, web components that hard-code the version of IE somewhere. I have one at work that detects IE 11 as IE 7 ...

Any compatibility issues have to be fixed by the code developers of the various sites, e.g. CKEditor. IE11 isn't officially out yet (probably won't be until October 18th when Windows 8.1 launches) so any mainstream support for IE11 will probably happen after that date.

It's Internet Explorer, of course it's going to break.  :rofl:

I will admit however, Internet Explorer 11 is the best IE version yet. I've actually been using it with Chrome and Firefox for nearly a month now.

Well Chrome and Firefox pumps out new verious almost daily and they dont have huge bugs like this....Thats why I was surprised to see this break...

Chrome and Firefox were already mostly compliant. IE was pre-standard and became more standards compliant as it developed. The CKEditor is detecting all IE versions as just "IE" and applying 'fixes' to the code that are no longer needed, thus breaking it.

• Like 2

Because IE always has been and always be a steaming pile of crap, best thing anyone can do is use anything other than IE

not true. IE 10 & 11 are actually good browsers. web designers just need to fix their code to not be browser/version specific

Yeah, Microsoft has really stepped it up in regards to supporting the latest standards. IE10/11 even passes the Acid3 test at 100/100. And GreyWolf's correct too on why things appear broken in newer IE versions.