Russia Issues Grave iPhone Warning:

Source: http://www.eutimes.net/2013/09/russia-issues-grave-iphone-warning-users-give-up-all-rights/

A new report written by Ambassador Andrei Krutskikh from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) to Deputy Defense Minister Colonel General Oleg Ostapenko that is circulating in the Kremlin today warns that use of the new Apple iPhone 5 constitutes a ?grave threat? to all Russian citizens in that merely by its use, ?all users have given up their rights to the United States Government.?

Ambassador Krutskikh is the Special Coordinator of the political use of information and communication technologies for the MoFA and was previously Chairman of the Group of UN Governmental Experts on the issue of international information security, and Chairman of the Expert Group on International Information Security of Shanghai Cooperation Organization

Read more at the link above!

~Chris

Thanks for the heads up on that. it could have quite possibly been excused as Russian propaganda.. but this solidifies the issue

A new report written by Ambassador Andrei Krutskikh from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) to Deputy Defense Minister Colonel General Oleg Ostapenko that is circulating in the Kremlin today warns that use of the new Apple iPhone 5 constitutes a ?grave threat? to all Russian citizens in that merely by its use, ?all users have given up their rights to the United States Government.?

This is going to do wonders for Apple's worldwide sales, I'm sure. :D

I've been following a lot of the discussions around the finger printing and there are a lot of unknowns surrounding it.  Essentially you're taking a big trade off of risk for convenience.  It becomes trivial for someone to unlock your phone so long as they have your hand, and that doesn't mean severred.  It could be when you're asleep, drunk, forced, anything.

The legal implications are even more of a grey area.  It would certainly make it much simpler for the police to force you to unlock your device than a passcode.  

A lot of these are going to have to be sorted out by the courts in the future.

I've been following a lot of the discussions around the finger printing and there are a lot of unknowns surrounding it.  Essentially you're taking a big trade off of risk for convenience.  It becomes trivial for someone to unlock your phone so long as they have your hand, and that doesn't mean severred.  It could be when you're asleep, drunk, forced, anything.

The legal implications are even more of a grey area.  It would certainly make it much simpler for the police to force you to unlock your device than a passcode.  

A lot of these are going to have to be sorted out by the courts in the future.

I would love a "false passcode" feature that, when entered, silently wipes all user data from the phone. 

I would love a "false passcode" feature that, when entered, silently wipes all user data from the phone. 

Nah, that would be a terrible idea.  Somebody could then just sneak around and erase everybody's phones.

Security should be more reliant on personal responsibility than features on the phone itself.

Nah, that would be a terrible idea.  Somebody could then just sneak around and erase everybody's phones.

Security should be more reliant on personal responsibility than features on the phone itself.

You would set your own false passcode on your phone and it doesn't have to disable find my iphone (for instance).  I could set my real passcode as 1234, and then if someone were holding a gun to my head I could tell them my passcode is 2345.  My data would be more-or-less wiped in a silent fashion and mr. criminal doesn't get extra info off of me like my contacts.

You would set your own false passcode on your phone and it doesn't have to disable find my iphone (for instance).  I could set my real passcode as 1234, and then if someone were holding a gun to my head I could tell them my passcode is 2345.  My data would be more-or-less wiped in a silent fashion and mr. criminal doesn't get extra info off of me like my contacts.

Interesting idea, but I probably wouldn't be worried about the phone much if somebody had a gun to my head.  :laugh:

until a cop asks you for your password, you give them that, they find nothing on it then throw you in jail for tampering with evidence....

until a cop asks you for your password, you give them that, they find nothing on it then throw you in jail for tampering with evidence....

Yeah... in my mind it would have to be silent enough to not raise suspicion somehow....lol.

Apparently a cop can't force you to give them your password according to the 5th amendment to the constitution.  So, it would probably be best to just assert your rights and ask for a lawyer if it came down to that.

If they can prove that you tampered with evidence, then you will get thrown in jail for that.  In my scenario, you are already in hot water anyway (for whatever you have on your phone), so....

Whatever happened to their own national smartphone project so happily approved by Dimonchik himself...

Makes you wonder. Almost all anti-American nations have their own phone in the works these days.

Yeah... in my mind it would have to be silent enough to not raise suspicion somehow....lol.

Apparently a cop can't force you to give them your password according to the 5th amendment to the constitution.  So, it would probably be best to just assert your rights and ask for a lawyer if it came down to that.

If they can prove that you tampered with evidence, then you will get thrown in jail for that.  In my scenario, you are already in hot water anyway (for whatever you have on your phone), so....

The constitution only applies in America. There are more places in the world than just America, you know.  In the UK, for example, you can be compelled to give up passwords.

Of course, if a password were set-up to invisibly and irrecoverably erase data, there's no way they'd actually be able to tell you tampered with evidence unless they already had something to compare it too.  Also, in a lot of cases, the punishment for not giving up your password is less severe that what doing so might get you; so for some, it's worth it.