Windows 8.1 How to unlink your user account from MS account

Start Screen -> Account Settings -> Your Account -> Disconnect

I forgot about the tricks to get around the mandatory MS account sign in during 8.1 install. The above will allow you to liberate your account from the cloud Death Star :)

• Like 2

You act like having your account synced is a bad thing, it isn't, if you don't like MS there are other OSes you can use instead of limiting your MS account for ignorant reasons

• Like 1

Its not mandatory to install.

That's funny because it said signing in was mandatory during install. Yes, I know there are ways around it but its the notion of it becoming a real requirement  to that irritates me.

You act like having your account synced is a bad thing, it isn't, if you don't like MS there are other OSes you can use instead of limiting your MS account for ignorant reasons

Dude, I'm not doing it for paranoid reasons. I just prefer not to store things in the cloud and have no need to be signed into Microsoft services 24/7. I do believe that there are possible implications involved with having a linked account and future malware exploitation, however.

It's too late. Now that they know your minesweeper win/loss ratio no hope is left for humanity.

Well damn.

Its not mandatory to install.

You missed the part where he said during the PREVIEW. It was mandatory then.

Good tip though for people who want to use unlink their accounts. I don't do it now and manually sign into apps I need (only need to do it once though :p)

That's funny because it said signing in was mandatory during install. Yes, I know there are ways around it but its the notion of it becoming a real requirement  to that irritates me.

Dude, I'm not doing it for paranoid reasons. I just prefer not to store things in the cloud and have no need to be signed into Microsoft services 24/7. I do believe that there are possible implications involved with having a linked account and future malware exploitation, however.

Well damn.

Nice, you claim to not be doing it for paranoid reasons and then go and use a paranoid reason as an explanation, been using computers since the 80's and have never had an malware issues, one or two viruses, but that's it, loosen the tin foil hat some

I only see benefits to logging in with your MS account

All your pwds, favorites, settings, .... pretty much everything comes with you

Saves me a lot of time when you update or re-install your pc 

Nice, you claim to not be doing it for paranoid reasons and then go and use a paranoid reason as an explanation, been using computers since the 80's and have never had an malware issues, one or two viruses, but that's it, loosen the tin foil hat some

YOU might not have malware issues (yet) but there are people that get infected everyday and those same people might end up more vulnerable due to a 24/7 online link to personal accounts/services. It's not paranoia, its a real, potential threat.

And please stop with the personal attacks. Notice how I'm not attacking you.

How do you get around this during install?? I didn't take notice to an option.

I hated having to use my other password to get into windows. I had to hunt around to leave it then go back to my normal password.

Again, my desktop is not a ######ing tablet, I don't need live apps on the screen. I don't need to be signed in for them. If I want to strictly use a local account leave me alone.

That's the only issue I had. Other than that it's ok.

How do you get around this during install?? I didn't take notice to an option.

I hated having to use my other password to get into windows. I had to hunt around to leave it then go back to my normal password.

Again, my desktop is not a ****ing tablet, I don't need live apps on the screen. I don't need to be signed in for them. If I want to strictly use a local account leave me alone.

That's the only issue I had. Other than that it's ok.

During install, the installer asks for your Microsoft Account username and password. Click "I don't have an account". You'll be taken to a form on which you could enter your credentials. Don't, just scroll down and click "Let me continue with my current (local) account".

• Like 2

I used my Microsoft ID for some of the desktop improvements as well. Especially the SkyDrive integration and theme syncing. Also, its nice to have my tabs and favs synced in IE, as well as it auto-sigining me into any Microsoft site. There are many benefits to people even if you don't use the start screen or any apps.

Its funny because I know of a couple friends who were very hesitant to sign in using their ID saying they don't need their stuff synced, yet immediately install Chrome and sign in with their Google ID to get their favorites. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

If you have no network connection during setup, you'll be kicked to a local account.

You can also use this system policy setting prior to upgrading if you go the upgrade route:

post-105752-0-76242500-1383253154.png

• Like 3