pup.optional.one click downloader.a - what is this?

MalwareBytes just brought this up. Googled it but it only says how to remove it, which i know how to do as i'll just use MBAM to remove it. I just want to know what it is really & how it got there.

My main browser is FireFox, although i do use Chrome at times & IE rarely.

post-37542-0-17945200-1382263461.jpg

PUP.Optional.OneClickDownloader.A

PUP.Optional.OneClickDownloader.A is a malicious application that can infect your computer and make it almost unusable. It is important to get rid of this virus as soon as possible to avoid loss of data and corruption of files on the computer.

Risk Level : High ( Dangerous )

Note :- To safely & quickly detect spyware, We highly recommend you to use our Removal Tool for PUP.Optional.OneClickDownloader.A virus file.

http://www.removeonline.com/pup-optional-oneclickdownloader-a/

BrowserDefender is classified as Adware and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware detects BrowserDefender as PUP.Optional.BrowserDefender.A When BrowserDefender / PUP.Optional.BrowserDefender.A is installed on your computer it will behave like a browser hijacker and many users have no idea where BrowserDefender / PUP.Optional.BrowserDefender.A did come from, so it?s not surprising at all that most of them assume that BrowserDefender is a virus and that is the main reason why Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is detecting this application as PUP.Optional.BrowserDefender.A.

BrowserDefender is bundled within the custom installer on many download sites like Softonic, Brothersoft and Cnet. When PUP.Optional.BrowserCompanion.A is present on your computer when you perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware then your computer is infected with the PUP.Optional.BrowserDefender.A adware, and perhaps also with other adware variants or other unwanted software.

You can use the PUP.Optional.BrowserDefender.A removal guide below to remove this unwatend program completely from your computer in a few steps with free tools.

http://www.malwareremovalguides.info/pup-optional-browserdefender-a-removal-guide/

1click downloader is a rogue Anti-Spyware software. It usually spreads via Trojan infection. 1click downloader displays many fake alert security warnings and may install additional trojans to your PC. 1click downloader compromises your computer security and threatens your privacy.
How to identify 1click downloader infection on your computer

1click downloader may use scare tactics or other aggressive marketing tactics to try to trick you into buying the licenced version of 1click downloader software. Your browser settings and browser home page will be changed by 1click downloader infection. 1click downloader may show numerous undesirable and annoying pop-ups. 1click downloader will connect to the internet without your permission. 1click downloader keeps track of your internet browsing data and sends your browsing history data to remote location servers, owned by hackers that use this information to advertise their products via numerous pop-ups and hijacked browser homepages. Changed or new icons and sometimes, 1click downloader installs unwanted programs to a victim?s computer without user?s knowledge and consent. This can make your computer slower in performance and stability. 1click downloader may produce many fake alert warnings, stating that your PC is infected with Trojans or other malwares that do not actually exist.

http://www.cleanallvirus.com/solved-how-to-remove-1click-downloader-1click-downloader-removal/

Thanks guys.

Looks like you accidentally clicked on one of those "Download Now" adverts rather than a download link somewhere.

Yes i did. I thought it was the actual link but it turned out not to be. Following the path this was on 11/10/13 (UK date format). So it's been in there for a short while now.