Right Click Properties Missing on Networks in 8.1

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 BavonWW

BavonWW

BavonWW

• OS: Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Centre, Windows 7 Pro, XP Pro SP3

Posted 21 October 2013 - 00:18

Cannot get connection properties to appear on right click for Dial-Up, Wi-Fi, and Ethernet. Seems a bad omission? Is it possible that I did not receive full download of 8.1? Sizes anyone.......

Running Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit with Media Centre ( Using Classic Start UI)

HP Pavillion P6-2302eam

Intel i3 2130 3.4GHz

6 GB RAM

#2 Riva

Riva

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 21 October 2013 - 00:41

You are right you cant get connection properties from the modern UI. You must do it via Control Panel.

#3 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 21 October 2013 - 00:45

Winkey + S then type ncpa.cpl and hit enter ;)

#4 OP BavonWW

BavonWW

BavonWW

Posted 21 October 2013 - 00:47

Thanks for tip. Why did they remove it???

#5 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 October 2013 - 00:47

Thanks for tip. Why did they remove it???

I don't know, it wasn't there in windows 8.0 either, I agree its an annoying omission.

#6 Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 21 October 2013 - 00:52

It's not removed guys! It's been moved to the Modern PC settings. All the options are there. Go to PC settings, click Network. Give metro a chance. :)

#7 OP BavonWW

BavonWW

BavonWW

Posted 21 October 2013 - 00:54

No, it was there in Windows 8.0.

I'm beginning to think that there could be install issues which is why features are sometimes available and at other times not,, Just a guess...

#8 Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 21 October 2013 - 00:55

No, it was there in Windows 8.0.
I'm beginning to think that there could be install issues which is why features are sometimes available and at other times not,, Just a guess...

Did you read my last post. It is NOT removed. It has been moved to PC settings. On the start screen (not classic start menu) type PC settings. Open PC settings, click on Network. All the options are there.

#9 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 October 2013 - 00:55

It's not removed guys! It's been moved to the Modern PC settings. All the options are there. Go to PC settings, click Network. Give metro a chance. :)

Network settings for ethernet, wifi etc.. are still found in the same place as they used to be in the classic control panel as well.

I had thought OP had meant not being able to right click on a connection to quickly access its detailed status on the connections sidebar that pops out on the right when you click the network icon on the classic desktop, which you also couldn't do in 8.0 (at least thats what I remember, I could be wrong). Now that he's saying 8.0 had whatever he says is missing so I'm no longer exactly sure what's being discussed here lol.

#10 OP BavonWW

BavonWW

BavonWW

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:10

To clarify:

In Windows 8.0 the right click option was there in Networks if accessed from the taskbar. I should have been more concise, I do not mean Network Adapter settings accessed via CPL.

It would bring up Properties, Connection Settings, and... my memory is very bad but there were about three options. Very irritating, I'm not always on Dial-Up or Wi-Fi but at the moment I am; and would just like things the way they were.......

The right click option still exists on the task bar if you right-click on your connection icon you are given the 'Troubleshoot Problems' and the 'Open Network and Sharing Centre' however if you left-click the icon  then the start menu network list appears, showing whatever network connections are available. Right-clicking on the active connection should bring ( or did)  up the options I mentioned but no longer does...

Confused? You will be...

I think I should get to bed.. Hopefully someone with a clear mind will be able to explain what I mean.  

#11 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:21

To clarify:

In Windows 8.0 the right click option was there in Networks if accessed from the taskbar. I should have been more concise, I do not mean Network Adapter settings accessed via CPL.

It would bring up Properties, Connection Settings, and... my memory is very bad but there were about three options. Very irritating, I'm not always on Dial-Up or Wi-Fi but at the moment I am; and would just like things the way they were.......

From what I recall the only option you got when right clicking a network connection in windows 8.0 was "turn sharing on or off", no properties or anything (although in 8.1 now that is removed too, and now right clicking does nothing). I remember being annoyed about that when win 8 first came out. I don't have a wifi connection though, only ethernet, mabye it was different with a wifi connection.

#12 Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:04

In windows 8, you had lots of options when right-clicking Wi-Fi. Now, some of these options have moved to PC settings.

On PC settings, some of the right-click option has been moved. If you go to Network > Connections, and click on your Wi=fi, it will give you options such as tracking data usage, or turning on and off sharing.

#13 Sarreq Teryx

Sarreq Teryx

Neowinian

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:10

from Win8.0 to Win8.1 it hasn't changed how to access it.  you right click the network icon in the system tray, click "Open and Sharing Center", then click "Change Adapter Settings" up on the left column.

#14 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:19

guys you're missing the point the OP is trying to make

it's when you right click the network name in the slide out that it would give you options in Windows 8 (which was indeed removed for whatever reason in 8.1)

#15 OP BavonWW

BavonWW

BavonWW

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:12

guys you're missing the point the OP is trying to make

it's when you right click the network name in the slide out that it would give you options in Windows 8 (which was indeed removed for whatever reason in 8.1)

Now that's what I call succinct! Thanks Brando212