Windows 8.1 - Review from a Windows Veteran

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#46 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 22 October 2013 - 16:45

I've been out of the loop for a while, is there a way to prevent that from happening? That would be a nightmare for me if I were to install 8/8.1.

A definitive solution is to open up an admin powershell prompt and run:

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage

#47 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 22 October 2013 - 16:48

I never said anytime soon, by the time it does Modern UI will (or rather MUST) have proper multitasking with multiple windows, and none of the hidden garbage it has now, in essence it will slowly return to something similar to the desktop UI

The purpose of the MDL is content over screen clutter.

#48 jimmy_jazz

jimmy_jazz

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 22 October 2013 - 16:50

Oddly, Chrome sluggishness can be cured by un-checking  "automatically detect settings" in the LAN connection settings of Internet Explorer. Might fix the other issues mentioned. Also agree It doesn't boot any quicker to desktop than Windows 7, Metro maybe.

#49 gawicks

gawicks

Neowinian

Posted 22 October 2013 - 17:07

For me all the applications have been solid. Except the Metro Apps which crashes on me every time.

#50 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 October 2013 - 17:09

But no one uses it anymore. It's not the main feature of the OS like it was. It's been regulated to a tool advanced users use to perform small tasks not easily performed in the GUI.

Are you serious?  What about server administration using PowerShell?  

#51 Athernar

Athernar

?

Posted 22 October 2013 - 17:27

The desktop will disappear just like the command line did before it. It's only a matter of time.

http://m.windowsitpr...s-desktop-death

Metro will likely not last any longer than the life of the current design fads, and will be quickly replaced by a truly modern interface paradigm - not a old bloated XP-esque GUI trying to act like one.

The desktop is still a requirement for actual meaningful work, and will continue to be until such time as there is a paradigm to succeed it - not regress it.

#52 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 22 October 2013 - 17:38

Are you serious?  What about server administration using PowerShell?  

I administer all my servers via the GUI.

#53 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 22 October 2013 - 17:40

Fusion, I appreciate the review. I came to a hard conclusion that, WE HAVE TO make Windows 8/8.1 what we want with 3rd party apps.

to give you an analogy of what I mean: When I was in the military, there were times when all we had to eat were MRE's. After a while, the only way to mix things up was to use the included hot sauce packet(the third party element). It was rough... but we learn in the military, as I'm sure alot here were as well in the military, we get by the best we can and do what we can to make things we like. creature comforts i guess.

#54 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 22 October 2013 - 18:12

The desktop will disappear just like the command line did before it. It's only a matter of time.

http://m.windowsitpr...s-desktop-death

The command line technically isn't gone, the GUI just came in and provided more functionality. The Modern UI apps and Start Screen will not replace the Desktop, it doesn't provide greater functionality.

#55 +DConnell

DConnell

Madman with a blue box

• Phone: Lumia 1520 running Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 22 October 2013 - 18:29

The command line technically isn't gone, the GUI just came in and provided more functionality. The Modern UI apps and Start Screen will not replace the Desktop, it doesn't provide greater functionality.

Not yet, at least. I can't see any functionality that the desktop provides that Modern can't with a little more refinement. The desktop's main benefit is the greater selection of software available, but that will change with time. And the Start Screen is vastly more functional, to me at least, than the clunky Start Menu ever was. I don't mind the desktop sticking around - it works better with the programs I have - but please don't force the Start Menu on me again! It was the worst "feature" of Windows 95, and shouldn't have been kept for 17 years.

#56 +DConnell

DConnell

Madman with a blue box

• Phone: Lumia 1520 running Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 22 October 2013 - 19:00

Stop trying, it is not happening, Metro Start Screen is inefficient for desktop users and desktop users know the difference between a Dekstop computer and a tablet that barely can keep up using a browser and some tabs opened.

The Start Screen is inefficient compared to the Menu? I can find what I want in seconds looking though the screen - big, easily discernable icons in a layout that I can easily adjust to my liking, as opposed to a clunky text list that I have to dig (either in the Start Menu settings or in the Documents and Settings folders) to make any changes to. Ten minutes adjusting the Screen to my liking, and it's 100x better than the Menu ever was.

Of course, Search levels the playing field, but that's not the point I'm making,

#57 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 October 2013 - 19:07

I agree. It feels like I'm not in control of my computer anymore. I think a major part of that is how sync is accomplished, where I cannot use many features or even programs if I'm not signed into an account with a MS id.

And something about the UI just feels... harsh. It's moreso on the metro side, but the desktop style feels "harsh" too. Maybe it's the lack of Aero glass?

#58 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 October 2013 - 19:36

Not yet, at least. I can't see any functionality that the desktop provides that Modern can't with a little more refinement. The desktop's main benefit is the greater selection of software available, but that will change with time. And the Start Screen is vastly more functional, to me at least, than the clunky Start Menu ever was. I don't mind the desktop sticking around - it works better with the programs I have - but please don't force the Start Menu on me again! It was the worst "feature" of Windows 95, and shouldn't have been kept for 17 years.

The Desktop's main benefit is having floating, resizable windows.

#59 Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

Posted 22 October 2013 - 19:44

Well put, I feel the same! Word for word!

#60 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Phone: Android

Posted 22 October 2013 - 20:30

For supposed nerd and geeks you all are really making a bigger deal out of win 8/8.1 than it is, you've lost no control of your system, hell with 8.1 you can just load into the Desktop and not see the Start Screen and completely ignore it if you want, you can install a program to bring back the dumb Start Menu so many are so attached to for some reason, AND you've gained a faster and better OS in the process

You all need to stop being such luddites, set aside you irrational hatred of change and realize Win 8.1 is actually really nice