Game DVR, Skype, Netflix, Hulu, ESPN, and the NFL on X1 require Gold

All is fine in US where most of these Xbox One Gold Subscription based entertainment plans will be available. But for people from India, China, Brazil, etc, what extras do we get on gold subscription? We don't get Netflix nor do we get Hulu and other streaming services.

Microsoft needs to make sure that we get our subscription money worth.

I agree, I can't get any of the media services so wth?  This is why I hope they change this and just add in more game related extras like so far there's the gold sharing ability which is new and nice and if they re-add sharing that'll probably be limited to someone who has gold can share, I'm ok with that.   Plus extending games with gold to XB1 so we get free titles to and so on.

Assuming you're keeping your console for 5 years, at a discounted price of $40 a year, that's $200. If all you're using this for is a media streamer, you could find some much better options for your entertainment. 

Assuming you're keeping your console for 5 years, at a discounted price of $40 a year, that's $200. If all you're using this for is a media streamer, you could find some much better options for your entertainment. 

It's a videogame console that does media though, not a media console that does videogames.  If you're buying to only use as a media streamer, you're doing it wrong.

It's a videogame console that does media though, not a media console that does videogames.  

I think that distinction is more blurred now than ever. MS certainly seem to want it to be both.

• Like 1

I think that distinction is more blurred now than ever. MS certainly seem to want it to be both.

I don't.  Proof of that is in XBL Gold services.  If they wanted it to be a standalone media console, all the media features wouldn't be behind gold, most of the value of which comes from being able to play games online.

They might be using media features to try and make more sales, but I think the endgame of that is to get more people into gaming - that's what keeps the consoles alive and what will grow their market for future sustainability.

I don't.  Proof of that is in XBL Gold services.  If they wanted it to be a standalone media console, all the media features wouldn't be behind gold, most of the value of which comes from being able to play games online.

They might be using media features to try and make more sales, but I think the endgame of that is to get more people into gaming - that's what keeps the consoles alive and what will grow their market for future sustainability.

I have to agree.  It's like they're trying to push a buyer over the fence where they're thinking "we want to buy a gaming system for the kids, but look how much more we can also use the Xbox."  Or in my case, I want a gaming system but the extra features that I would use in the Xbox make it a no-brainer.

I don't see how this is going to persuade anyone buy gold though?

If people want gold for gaming, they'll already have it. If they don't want multiplayer gaming, I don't see how you'd pay ?40 a year to browse on IE, or watch netflix that you already pay for.

Why can't they just have gold for online multiplayer/stuff that costs them money/bandwidth, etc, and just leave everything else for free.

I don't see how this is going to persuade anyone buy gold though?

If people want gold for gaming, they'll already have it. If they don't want multiplayer gaming, I don't see how you'd pay ?40 a year to browse on IE, or watch netflix that you already pay for.

Why can't they just have gold for online multiplayer/stuff that costs them money/bandwidth, etc, and just leave everything else for free.

Because, like I said, their endgame is likely to get more people into gaming.  You get people to buy the box and try out gold for a bit because they need to get it to use the media stuff.  Then they play MP gaming and like it and continue pouring money into the gaming industry.

That's an oversimplification, but it makes sense to me from a business perspective, and its clearly working for Microsoft - if it wasn't, they'd have changed things by now.

I guess if you only like SP gaming it sort of blows, but I'd wager there's way more MP gamers out there than solely SP gamers who don't ever play online, so again it's a business decision.

Looking at some of the comments, I'm starting to understand a bit more..  outside of the USofA, there doesn't appear to be much value in Xbox Live.  and if this is true, Microsoft does need to give those outside of the US who use Live the same experience.  I understand that some countries don't have Netflix or Hulu, but at least try to give them something that's within their territory.

Sorry for my being so small and petty.

It's a videogame console that does media though, not a media console that does videogames.  If you're buying to only use as a media streamer, you're doing it wrong.

I've seen some people here saying they bought two or three 360s just for that. Don't underestimate the power of fanboyism (and this is true for all allegiance).

The problem is it's too expensive to be. In the next 10 years most of the features will be included with Smart TV. Yes the One will/might do a little bit more but the Smart TV thingies will come with the TV and for most people it'lll be more than enough. My PVR can already do most of what the one can do as well as recording TV. The UI is sort of ugly albeit functional but it's not like i really care.

I can be wrong but video game consoles will imo remain devices primarily used to play games. Gamers who buy them will/might use the extended TV features (providing they want to power on their console just for that) but i really don't see people paying 400+ $ mostly for the TV features alone. It's gonna be a bonus to people who play games enough to warrant the high price.

It's the competition from other things, no not just the PS4, but Rokus and Apple TV and even Smart TVs etc that will in the end make MS change this policy.  The thing is that they'll do it when they have enough other things on Gold to make it worth the $40, like game sharing which should come back, that would be a big one.   Also expanding the games with gold more and other features/benefits for Gold gamers to get people to pay, then you don't need Netflix and so on behind gold.  Right now, on the 360, all it is is multiplayer.  Like for me I can't get those streaming services out here anyways, so paying for Gold is just to MP a bit when I want to and nothing more.

Once you get more gamer related things going then that changes.  I know people who get PS+ just because Sony gives them free games in return, nothing more.

All is fine in US where most of these Xbox One Gold Subscription based entertainment plans will be available. But for people from India, China, Brazil, etc, what extras do we get on gold subscription? We don't get Netflix nor do we get Hulu and other streaming services.

Microsoft needs to make sure that we get our subscription money worth.

Games with Gold kind of offsets it now though, right?

I'm not talking about standalone. Of course they aren't making a standalone device.

I remember one of the early conferences about the X1 and they spent a whole lot of time talking about TV. So much so it had a lot of non-U.S. gamers asking "wtf".

Regardless. Putting stuff like netflix behind a paywall is just bizarre. What possible benefit or advantage does that give anyone?

I've seen some people here saying they bought two or three 360s just for that. Don't underestimate the power of fanboyism (and this is true for all allegiance).

Remember, the 360 was the only WMC extender device on the market for a long time, that also spurred many to buy a 360 more for media needs than gaming. Working as an externder for MC allows the 360 to be a very powerful media device, able to playback media that almost no other media device can. So no, it was not just fanboys.

Also, many bought the ps3 early on ONLY for its bluray playback. Gaming was either ignored or only used a secondary function. They also were not fanboys.

I can be wrong but video game consoles will imo remain devices primarily used to play games. Gamers who buy them will/might use the extended TV features (providing they want to power on their console just for that) but i really don't see people paying 400+ $ mostly for the TV features alone. It's gonna be a bonus to people who play games enough to warrant the high price.

I really don't get why you guys are so fixated on the dvr functions as if that is the only thing MS has focused on media wise. Ever since that first event, MS made it clear that while they were supporting legacy cable solutions now, their ultimate goal was to offer users direct access to media. Since the content producers would not agree to reasonable terms with MS, MS invested heavily in original programming, even going as far as to hire ex TV network people to form a studio. They want to offer original content to users and move away from having to deal with the cable companies and content providers.

MS isn't alone in this either. Sony is currently trying to work out deals with content providers as well. Since they already own a lot of that content, they already have access to a strong catalog. They have been rumored to be working on a cable tv-like service. So Sony may try to offer a subscription based service while MS seems to be heading towards an a la cart service.

I'm not talking about standalone. Of course they aren't making a standalone device.

I remember one of the early conferences about the X1 and they spent a whole lot of time talking about TV. So much so it had a lot of non-U.S. gamers asking "wtf".

Yeah and that confuses me. MS has made it clear that the legacy TV support is not limited to the US. You kind find references to European, Asian, etc, TV sources. They are apparently working to bring the legacy tv stuff worldwide once they can come to agreements with all the different groups that control it around the world. They just happen to get deals done with US companies first. They want to support all forms of receiving media.

Regardless. Putting stuff like netflix behind a paywall is just bizarre. What possible benefit or advantage does that give anyone?

It would be a benefit if they offer something beyond the basic access to those apps. Such as discounted Netflix subscriptions or free subscriptions.

Otherwise, it does not benefit the user as far as I can tell. That's why I'm surprised they aren't trying to improve that. Either move it outside of Gold or make it worth it to the end user. Its just weird.

I know we all love to debate and speculate on topics such as this...  but has $60per year come to this? 

No one pays $60 a year for Gold,  I can get it for a good deal less at any given time.  Unlike PS+ which I see has no such deals going on.

No one pays $60 a year for Gold,  I can get it for a good deal less at any given time.  Unlike PS+ which I see has no such deals going on.

There is a XBL $40 sale going on today like every week. Good timing, eh? :p

I don't pay $60yr for live either.  I was using its normal retail price as a reference.

XBL and PS+ are regularly discounted in the UK. I got 2 years of PS+ for about 40% off this year and 2x 14 month XBL subs for less than 1 RRP 12 month card.

Just gotta shop smart (Y)

XBL and PS+ are regularly discounted in the UK. I got 2 years of PS+ for about 40% off this year and 2x 14 month XBL subs for less than 1 RRP 12 month card.

Just gotta shop smart (Y)

It doesn't help that it seems like I need my country specific PS+ card while I can get a general XBL EU card which covers every EU market for less at any time.   Unless I can use a PS+ card from a different market on mine but that doesn't seem to be the case otherwise they wouldn't have PS+ for Germany and PS+ for Greece and would instead have one that works for all of Europe.    Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't bothered to look into it much.

Xbox one... Cost? to get hulu, Netflix and the like.. Cost? Gold account.

This is absolutely stupid, nothing short of extortion for those who have accounts already for these services. then bend you over so you can access those services under MS's microcosm of greed.

sounds like a high jacking. C'mon MS, you can do A LOT better then this.

(scratching my head) nickle and dime people.. will be interesting to see how much backlash comes of this.

just so I'm clear on this: if I have my hulu and netflix accounts, I have to have a GOLD account to enjoy two services I pay for on the outside?  :huh:

just so I'm clear on this: if I have my hulu and netflix accounts, I have to have a GOLD account to enjoy two services I pay for on the outside?  :huh:

As of right now, it looks like MS is sticking with the same policies as the 360, which means yes, you must have Gold to get the apps and access the services you have a paid subscription with.

Its just silly. I really wanted to see MS move away from that. Maybe they will, but I wanted to see that change at launch.

We already know that they will be opening up the X1 to general app development thanks to its Win 8 core, but they need to move all apps to an open app store model.