5 posts in this topic

Posted

Ars

drivatar1-640x360.png
Under the hood, those AI opponents house the aggregate learnings of millions of cloud-processed races.

For months now, Microsoft has been touting how Xbox One games will be able to make use of cloud computing resources to handle certain time-insensitive tasks that aren't really feasible to calculate on a single local box. While Microsoft has gone into some detail on how this process works, a lot of the company's talk has taken the form of vague hand-waving about how the magic of the cloud will make everything more powerful.

So when we had a chance to talk to Forza Motorsport 5 Director Dan Greenawalt recently, we wanted to take a deep dive into how, precisely, the game makes use of Microsoft's cloud resources to power its adaptive, machine learning-based AI system, called Drivatar. And we learned how processing a massive amount of data on Microsoft's servers allows for possibilities that Greenawalt says weren't really possible on previous consoles.

It
1 person likes this

Posted

They certainly make a good case for using the cloud to generate a better AI through learning from human players.  I do think that is something that could be very useful for certain genres and developers. 

Its good to hear more about how this stuff works vs arguing over vague ideas.

Posted

This does sound very clever and makes a good case for the kind of things the cloud can actually do. Would want to see it in practice, but assuming it all goes to plan then the AI in Forza could be the best in a racing game since GP4. Would sorely tempt me as I've missed racing against good AI ever since.

Posted

Truly next generation stuff.

1 person likes this

Posted

Great writeup.  Xbox live / X1 could very well be the end of dumb ai - any game could implement this techology to create better games.  I haven't really played a racer since Project Gotham on launch 360 but i am looking forward to this game.