How the hell do you print from Android?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:08

I was going to write a long winded whiny reply about how I keep having to buy new things to be compatible with the other new things that I bought, and every new thing I buy just leads to even more things to buy... but instead I'll just sum it up in one word:

*grumble*.

I agree with z0phi3l...

If you want to  use the tablet for cooking, then no need to print... Just place the tablet on the stand on the counter... 

For the movies, just show the barcode on the phone to the ticket booth.. they will scan the ticket then you go in the theater room. Same thing to the retail stores such as Wal-Mart when you have something to be picked up.

#32 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:08

HP's printers with ePrint support shouldn't need a computer with Chrome though. I don't have a printer so I can't try, but can't you associate your @hpeprint address with several Google accounts so different users can print from different devices? It'd certainly suck if you couldn't.

This is correct. Does not need a PC with Chrome. I use it all the time, I just send my print to my HP ePrint email address.

#33 riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:24

Hello,

If you want to get creative, install Ubuntu Touch and that will have a print function.

Also (even if you have tested some of these): http://www.howtogeek...hone-or-tablet/

#34 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 October 2013 - 20:56

I use the PrinterShare app. Pics, PDFs and documents.

#35 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 28 October 2013 - 21:05

This is so interesting. I've had an Android tablet for about two years now and it never even occurred to me to want to print from it :laugh:

I rarely print, and when I do it's from the computer... otherwise it's meant to take the place of paper. I use it in the kitchen for recipes a lot, for example.

Now I want to see if I can find a way, just because... >.>

#36 Circaflex

Circaflex

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: hammerhead

Posted 06 November 2013 - 17:48

I agree printing on android is troublesome but luckily for us 4.4 brings new improvements

Android 4.4 introduces native platform support for printing, along with APIs for managing printing and adding new types of printer support. The platform provides a print manager that mediates between apps requesting printing and installed print services that handle print requests. The print manager provides shared services and a system UI for printing, giving users consistent control over printing from any app. The print manager also ensures the security of content as it's passed across processes, from an app to a print service.

#37 arachnoid

arachnoid

Support the Cat federation against cruel Dogs

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 06 November 2013 - 17:54

For occasional use an alternative would be to print to pdf and use Dropbox,Microsoft or Google drive to transfer it to a PC for printing

#38 Circaflex

Circaflex

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: hammerhead

Posted 06 November 2013 - 17:59

For occasional use an alternative would be to print to pdf and use Dropbox,Microsoft or Google drive to transfer it to a PC for printing

but that is troublesome, especially if i dont have my computer with me

#39 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 1020 Yellow

Posted 06 November 2013 - 18:03

Sorry for my frustration, but I would have thought PRINTING would be a pretty basic function, one to be included with Android OS, but apparently not!  

It is. Just open your browser, navigate to windows.com, order any tablet you fancy.

#40 arachnoid

arachnoid

Support the Cat federation against cruel Dogs

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 06 November 2013 - 18:04

Just had a look at Printer Share recommended above it looks a good thing to have installed

https://play.google....re.printershare