PS4 will not support media servers, DLNA functionality

Notice to everyone, if you want a PS4 at launch.  You can find my pre-order on eBay.

THAAAAAANKS

So.. you pre-ordered a GAME CONSOLE but then when MEDIA FEATURES are not present you decide to sell it?  Seems like you didn't really want a GAME CONSOLE and would be better of buying an APPLE TV instead.

So.. you pre-ordered a GAME CONSOLE but then when MEDIA FEATURES are not present you decide to sell it? Seems like you didn't really want a GAME CONSOLE and would be better of buying an APPLE TV instead.

I know you aren't really this dense. Why post this?

• Like 1

So.. you pre-ordered a GAME CONSOLE but then when MEDIA FEATURES are not present you decide to sell it?  Seems like you didn't really want a GAME CONSOLE and would be better of buying an APPLE TV instead.

Are you really making that point. Most people use their game console to watch media. 90% of my PS3s and 360s on time is spent streaming media. Didn't Microsoft did some research that showed the massive amount of people just using it for video?

Here found it http://kotaku.com/5896815/the-average-xbox-user-is-online-for-84-hours-per-month-gaming-for-about-half-of-it

50% of the time people have their xbox on its used for STREAMING MUSIC and MOVIES.

I know you aren't really this dense. Why post this?

Are you really making that point. Most people use their game console to watch media. 90% of my PS3s and 360s on time is spent streaming media. Didn't Microsoft did some research that showed the massive amount of people just using it for video?

Here found it http://kotaku.com/5896815/the-average-xbox-user-is-online-for-84-hours-per-month-gaming-for-about-half-of-it

50% of the time people have their xbox on its used for STREAMING MUSIC and MOVIES.

I realize that people use it for that.. but when I make a purchase I buy something for its primary function.  I ordered the PS4 because it does games.. and it does game very well.  Having movie playback, streaming, mp3 playback, etc.. is a bonus but had nothing to do with me buying a game console.   

If I want streaming.. I have a raspberry pi.  If I want MP3 I have a computer or my cell phone.   Maybe that's just how I look at it.. that a game consoles primary function should be playing games.   I can watch netflix and I am sure there will be a web browser with which I could load google music if I really wanted to listen to music on the PS4.   I don't think you should pre-order a game console and have that order hinge on if it can or cannot stream videos. 

I realize that people use it for that.. but when I make a purchase I buy something for its primary function.  I ordered the PS4 because it does games.. and it does game very well.  Having movie playback, streaming, mp3 playback, etc.. is a bonus but had nothing to do with me buying a game console.   

If I want streaming.. I have a raspberry pi.  If I want MP3 I have a computer or my cell phone.   Maybe that's just how I look at it.. that a game consoles primary function should be playing games.   I can watch netflix and I am sure there will be a web browser with which I could load google music if I really wanted to listen to music on the PS4.   I don't think you should pre-order a game console and have that order hinge on if it can or cannot stream videos. 

So why did most people when the PS3 first come out buy it for it being a cheap blu-ray player? That may be your opinion and the mindset when you purchase products but the majority of the population don't share the same views.

Why did you buy your smartphone, just to ring people?

it's obviously more about the principle than the function. We all have other devices these days to accomplish these missing capabilities. The problem is that Sony, and MS, both tried to make the PS3 and 360 as this 'all-in-one' device sent from God that would be the end-all for home entertainment. Suddenly, with next gen, they're both like "ha, jk, nm" and took out these features that the user base thinks should be a given. Why is it so difficult for Sony to just leave mp3 support?

We all now understand why Sony and MS are doing this. Theyre trying to push their online, cloud-based services. But, if you havent bought into Music Unlimited by now, why would you on the PS4? And, honestly, if youre one to use DLNA now, why would you suddenly start paying for streams through Video Unlimited or PSN? That would make no sense.

Why did you buy your smartphone, just to ring people?

No, I bought my smart phone for the abilities that are expected of a smart phone.  I wanted clear crisp calls, I wanted call waiting, I wanted caller ID.  I wanted a fast phone, with web support.  I wanted a smart phone for what a smart phone does.

it's obviously more about the principle than the function. We all have other devices these days to accomplish these missing capabilities. The problem is that Sony, and MS, both tried to make the PS3 and 360 as this 'all-in-one' device sent from God that would be the end-all for home entertainment. Suddenly, with next gen, they're both like "ha, jk, nm" and took out these features that the user base thinks should be a given. Why is it so difficult for Sony to just leave mp3 support?

We all now understand why Sony and MS are doing this. Theyre trying to push their online, cloud-based services. But, if you havent bought into Music Unlimited by now, why would you on the PS4? And, honestly, if youre one to use DLNA now, why would you suddenly start paying for streams through Video Unlimited or PSN? That would make no sense.

The fact remains though.. if you want something for media capabilities buy something that is meant for media.  You don't buy a small car.. then get mad when it doesn't have the capabilities of a truck for towing a 40ft trailer.

I get that people buy things for other uses.. but there are much cheaper and better solutions for media streaming and audio playback than a game console.

NeoGAF admins (bishoptl and kagari) say support is coming. I know Neowin will have another meltdown using GAF as a source, but that'll be funny if yet again they're correct.

Don't they have to? Isn't that the format of the files on Blu-Ray discs?

Yes, Blu-ray video files use M2TS containers but that doesn't mean the media player software on a Ps4 will playback M2TS files. Xbox 360 plays DVDs too but you can't directly playback a VOB file on it.

NeoGAF admins (bishoptl and kagari) say support is coming. I know Neowin will have another meltdown using GAF as a source, but that'll be funny if yet again they're correct.

I saw that thread too. I can't say I'm surprised. Like I said earlier in this thread, it's something that can easily be patched in later once the firmware for the more important stuff (gaming) is complete and ready for day one. Though, I do hope the rumor in that thread is true, and that the features will come sooner rather than later.

I saw that thread too. I can't say I'm surprised. Like I said earlier in this thread, it's something that can easily be patched in later once the firmware for the more important stuff (gaming) is complete and ready for day one. Though, I do hope the rumor in that thread is true, and that the features will come sooner rather than later.

DLNA didn't come to the PS3 till patch 1.8 I believe it was, but regardless if it's a time thing it's pretty shoddy either way if it wasn't ready for launch.

If you love GAF so much more than Neowin, why don't you stay there?

Also, no ######.  Sony will do a 180.  It'll be more interesting to see how Sony fanboys handle that after attacking Microsoft for listening to consumers.

• Like 1

If you love GAF so much more than Neowin, why don't you stay there?

Because I'd miss people like you too much.

No, I bought my smart phone for the abilities that are expected of a smart phone.  I wanted clear crisp calls, I wanted call waiting, I wanted caller ID.  I wanted a fast phone, with web support.  I wanted a smart phone for what a smart phone does.

Aha!!  So you wanted a phone AND a web browser.  See?  Even you can dual-use one device. ;)

I guess my point is that you should realize that most people will want a media feature for something that began last gen, even if you aren't one of those people.

Aha!!  So you wanted a phone AND a web browser.  See?  Even you can dual-use one device. ;)

I guess my point is that you should realize that most people will want a media feature for something that began last gen, even if you aren't one of those people.

No I use a Smart Phone which is sold as a device that can do media, web, video, camera, calls, sms, etc.  No smart phone is only sold as a phone.

The PS4 is sold as a game console.   It's not sold as a media center.

No I use a Smart Phone which is sold as a device that can do media, web, video, camera, calls, sms, etc.  No smart phone is only sold as a phone.

You originally said you wanted a fast phone with web support.  Like you mention no smartphone is sold as a phone.  The PS3 and 360 were sold as game consoles that could do more, like entertainment streaming, heck, even Linux.  It really seems like a step back if Sony is saying "we wanted to make the game experience so pure we removed everything else from the console."  Just from the amount of people in this thread that are saying they will cancel or rethink their PS4 purchase on this news should be an indication of how used to the feature people were.

In all honesty it seems you're sticking to the "Strictly a game console" line just to excuse Sony's oversight.

Can't live without media server streaming on the PS3. I'm not buying the PS4 immediately anyway.

Then maybe Sony shouldn't have put media center functions in the PS3 &/or made it very clear from the begining that PS4 wouldn't be doing that.

Such features are clearly still important to consumers. Just because it's sold as a games consoles doesn't invalidate the expectation of those features.

Or maybe they should have ripped out Blu-ray & DVD play back while they were at it.

Perhaps I sold my PS3 too soon.  I'd say 90% of the time Ive had the PS3 it has been used for streaming (using PS3 media server).  I sold early knowing that I'd have a ps4 soon enough that would replace it (even left my ethernet and hdmi cables plugged in and left in the open spot).  I'll hold off picking up the ps4 until they sort this out, there are no launch games that I need to play and I really think Sony is going to add this feature in eventually. 

The fact remains though.. if you want something for media capabilities buy something that is meant for media.  You don't buy a small car.. then get mad when it doesn't have the capabilities of a truck for towing a 40ft trailer.

I get that people buy things for other uses.. but there are much cheaper and better solutions for media streaming and audio playback than a game console.

The piece you are missing is that many consumers like the idea of having fewer boxes in order to accomplish their goals.

You obviously want a dedicated box for everything you do.  Some agree with you, some don't.  I would suggest getting over that.

Of course there are cheaper boxes you can buy that can handle media, although there aren't that many choices to handle LOCAL media properly, whether its streamed to the device or played directly on it.  The point is that some of us would like to see some minimum support. For some people, that lack of minimum support means that they cant use their ps4 as they were hoping to use it, so they will wait to buy one.  Once Sony adds the support, they will be ready to buy.  I'm not one of those people.  I want the support, but I'm buying it for other reasons at the moment.

I really don't get why people are being attacked for wanting features that the ps3 had.  If you don't like or want those features, then fine, but trying to argue against those that want it?

That's great news.  I just hope people are more forgiving of Sony then they are of MS when they change their minds about support.

Um, I'm sorry to break this to you, but the PS4 is also sold as a media device.  I refer you to their E3 conference and to the announcements since then. 

Just because Sony first announced the ps4 focusing on the gaming side of things, does not negate the fact that they fully intend to offer media services.

I'm sorry, but this obsession with trying to pain the ps4 as only about games is getting silly.  For some reason, some people think that if they admit that it also caters to media needs that it would somehow take away from it as a gaming console. Guess what, you can have both.

Understandable, but wasn't this rubbed into Microsoft's face the past few months.

Its not the fact that both companies have to do this, its the fact that one company at the last minute pulls a "Oh by the way".   Tell me what it can't do in advance.  not at last minute.  because I recall, half the internets was crying about having shady, to no internet connection at all.   

But many people didn't have a problem with connecting to the internet. The problem was maintaining a connection every 24 hours. I say this as an avid Steam user who welcomes the digital age with open arms. Back when I was in between living arrangements though, I was stuck without internet for two weeks. My Steam games that required me to be on the internet to have installed/updated though played just fine when this situation arose, utilizing the Steam offline mode.

Just as with the consoles, Steam, and many of the other devices I have (think apps on smartphones or iPods/iPads), if I can download, install, and update them but be offline for at least some duration of time, I'm good. Same goes for my military buds who are able to get internet access, but something more along the lines of once every week or two sometimes, depending on their MOS and/or deployment location.

I really wish we could put this argument behind us and quit exaggerating the claims people had against that system. No one is against the internet here. Furthermore, it's rather annoying how these topics end up because people who were fans of the 360 get labeled as Sony fanboys just because they have different input from others. :/

(not accusing you of such, but how these threads turn out in general)

Yes it is,  Which is why it supports Music / Video Unlimited, in addition to Netflix /  Blu-Ray / Hulu / Amazon Video / The movies and TV available on the PSN store, etc.