PS4 will not support media servers, DLNA functionality

So basiclly after the ps3 debacle they decided lets lock this console down so it cant do crap but play games so its not cracked.  With everything it cant do they better be darn sure it does games better than the xbox one or this is going to be a fail.  I might be overreacting but if i had to make the choice today i would hit the cancel button right now on my ps4 preorder.  

When i first saw no DLNA i thought damn i dunno that might be a deal killer but i guess i can just put my stuff on my external or flash drive and play it that way which i do alot on my ps3 since some things dont stream well but now it doesnt support external drivers either so its completelly closed off. 

WOW, I never knew they Xbox One did not support Windows Media Center wtf Microsoft.  I use my console more for streaming from my PC than gaming at this point.  If the Xbox One supports more file formats natively including popular internet formats :shiftyninja: then it would be the same for me.  However if PS4 and Xbox One don't support any type of streaming from the computer I guess that will mean my 360 and PS3 are going to be around for years to come.

Got so tired of having to leave my PC on 24/7 to transcode stuff into a format the ps3 could play that i just ended up spending ?40 on a raspberry pi with xbmc. I'd rather sony dropped the feature alltogether than half ass it like it was on ps3.

Wish they'd still support it despite me probably never using it on the system. I used my PS3 a ton a streaming device but generally just use my TV now a days so I'm not having to worry about booting up multiple devices to watch stuff from my PC.  The lack of MP3 support is super annoying though and don't understand that decision.

WOW, I never knew they Xbox One did not support Windows Media Center wtf Microsoft.  I use my console more for streaming from my PC than gaming at this point.  If the Xbox One supports more file formats natively including popular internet formats :shiftyninja: then it would be the same for me.  However if PS4 and Xbox One don't support any type of streaming from the computer I guess that will mean my 360 and PS3 are going to be around for years to come.

Remember that apparently the X1 will support some Windows 8 programs so it's conceivable that someone could write an app to get that functionality.

I can see PS4 and X1 both dropping DLNA. Both companies want to herd users into their stupiid subscription/streaming services instead of allowing them to access their local content.

Pretty sure XBO supports Miracast.

This feature was one of the most commonly used on my PS3. If this is not added to the PS4, I have less inclination to ever get one

I bet this is because of piracy and people streaming pirated videos and movies on their PS3s. This is s stupid move that Sony is doing, I stream movies from my computers to my PS3 very frequently.

Wtf you say?  You do realise the Windows Media Centre has essentially been abandoned since Vista right?  The Windows 7 version brought virtually nothing new, and it wasn't even included in Windows 8 (by default anyway, I know you could get a media centre key).  It's entirely unsurprising they chose not to engineer support for it into the new console.

Don't get ahead of yourself with the rest though. There is no evidence, or even suggestion, that Microsoft are dropping all streaming support from the Xbox One. At least none that I've seen. They are just dropping Media Centre, which to be frank was an exceptionally niche product anyway. Don't forget that unlike Sony, Microsoft want the Xbox One to be more than a games console and to be your "one box" that does everything. It wouldn't make sense to remove all media streaming capabilities such as DLNA.

Don't care about this a bit as I strictly use PS3 to play games. Their media support sucks anyway. I think it is going to be a much better for people to buy one cheap desktop computer and hook it up with TV. This is what I do and never been more happier. No more smart tv crap, or formatting problem.

I can see PS4 and X1 both dropping DLNA. Both companies want to herd users into their stupiid subscription/streaming services instead of allowing them to access their local content.

I wouldn't be shocked if it turns out that MS is the more open one of the two in regards to this kind of support.

I knew GAF would at least get a response from @yosp

twitteryospthanksforthioqh.jpg

:laugh:, wow, that's a great response for us consumers that care about those features. It is definitely one of those standard non-answers PR wise.

• Like 1

I don't know about the PS4 but if the Xbox One supports the Play To feature from Windows to it then it's in fact using DLNA to do so.  It could just be limited to the formats supported by default by the system which would leave out mkv yet again but that should still mean media servers will work with it.

Don't care about this a bit as I strictly use PS3 to play games. Their media support sucks anyway. I think it is going to be a much better for people to buy one cheap desktop computer and hook it up with TV. This is what I do and never been more happier. No more smart tv crap, or formatting problem.

If your going to have PC hooked to TV you might as well get rid of PS4 all together.  Spend a few extra dollars  PC desktop computer that is much better then PS4.

I wouldn't be shocked if it turns out that MS is the more open one of the two in regards to this kind of support.

Maybe, though Id put my money on MS doing the same thing and telling customers who ask about it all about the "huge selection of content available through Xbox Music and Video..."

Maybe, though Id put my money on MS doing the same thing and telling customers who ask about it all about the "huge selection of content available through Xbox Music and Video..."

You have to remember that Xbox Music and Xbox Video are just still apps that also access the services but they read your library and play your local content (if it's a supported format).  So again, those apps should, iirc, support the PlayTo feature directly to the Xbox One.    All it is, is a MS rebranding of a DLNA feature.

Due to PS3 sucking donkey balls at media ( too few media formats, cinavia, crap picture ) I went back to 360. However, although picture quality improved and cinavia was a non-issue, file formats were again limited.

I thought about buying a WDTV, as I have a WD router ( with a 3TB external HDD hanging off it ) but I instead bought a new telly. It's one of the Samsung jobbies with the smart TV features.

Not only does it stream stutter free over WiFi, where as the 360 stuttered occasionally, it plays pretty much anything. MKV, AVI, MP4,H.264, etc. And, and, it plays full 1080p stuff no problem. Something that cannot be said for the PS3/360

Not to mention 3D stuff.

Therefore PS4 XB1 streaming is irrelevant for me. It's the ?400 plus to play slightly prettier games that's stopping me buying next gen hardware.

That "respose" is so boilerplate that it might as well be automated.

I agree, but considering how straightforward he's been with consumers this past year, I'm inclined to believe in good faith that they may change their minds on this one. I mean, it's not like we're asking for a change as dramatic as that of the XBO's 180 so I don't see why not.

Its pretty messed up that a 18 year old Windows 95 PC could play a audio CD, but if you stuck a audio CD into your PS4 it cant play it.

• Like 3

Thats rediculous, even ?40 bluray players have DLNA support im actually more against MS on this than sonys announcement cus x1 is marketed as an entertainment hub for your house so you can watch cable etc and its obviously positioned to be the central hub for your entertainment needs and seeing as were getting more into the digital age where MS WAS going to go mostly full downloads/digital etc youd expect them to have this to stream all your digital content that you have in your house through your x1 (in case you havnt got a smart TV). Although im wondering if it has someat to do with licensing the decoders to stream stuff cus avi just doesnt cut it anymore as people want bluray which is downloaded as MKV but im seeing more and more mp4's now. Could be that but could be wrong

I don't know about the PS4 but if the Xbox One supports the Play To feature from Windows to it then it's in fact using DLNA to do so.  It could just be limited to the formats supported by default by the system which would leave out mkv yet again but that should still mean media servers will work with it.

MKV is a container, not a format. Most MKV's contain formats that play just fine on the Xbox.(h264 / mpeg)  There are DLNA clients that will directplay mkv's on the 360 (and x1 assuming they don't gimp this feature)

I use plex dlna right now and it will open and stream the mkv's in directplay as long as the contained formats work well and transcode what the 360 doesn't do..

Thats rediculous, even ?40 bluray players have DLNA support im actually more against MS on this than sonys announcement cus x1 is marketed as an entertainment hub for your house so you can watch cable etc and its obviously positioned to be the central hub for your entertainment needs and seeing as were getting more into the digital age where MS WAS going to go mostly full downloads/digital etc youd expect them to have this to stream all your digital content that you have in your house through your x1 (in case you havnt got a smart TV). Although im wondering if it has someat to do with licensing the decoders to stream stuff cus avi just doesnt cut it anymore as people want bluray which is downloaded as MKV but im seeing more and more mp4's now. Could be that but could be wrong

i didn't understand anything you just said.    As far as we know MS still has DLNA / mp3 / cd audio playback.  THe only thing MS finally retired was media center but you don't need media center anymore.. (And removing media center doesn't break dlna/mp3/cd playback..)

What announcement have you read that I haven't? All I know is that Xbox One doesn't support Media Centre which is an abandoned product used by a small percentage of Xbox owners. Unless someone can point out a post, topic, article that says otherwise, I'm under the impression that Xbox One will still support all other forms of streaming media as the 360 does.