This is Valve's Steam Machine prototype and SteamOS (hands-on)

Yup that makes little sense but to stay on topic...

...it looks to me like the machine is powered by a SFX PSU at the front which runs its kettle lead to an extension under the graphics card. It looks like the graphics card has its own thermal chamber, and the graphics card gets plenty of air because that whole side of the machine is vented. 

If that's not simple enough, basically... Valve knows thermodynamics. Your average 8 year old knows what's shown is fine.

What makes little sense? You wandered in here and questioned something that had nothing to do with anything I had said.  At least you've finally added something useful the conversation...

Obviously the PSU is going to be SFX.  Since it doesn't have any venting out the back, it's going to either be redirected towards the CPU or simply blown out at the intake of the GPU.  As of now, that's a giant mystery since we can't see what's under the HDD.  The latter would be especially brainless since it would create a pressure barrier which would prevent air from coming in through the side vents. Regardless, there is no air induction system to force air toward the GPU fan.  Hence why I said it's a thermodynamically bad design.

Will it overall work?  Yes.  Will the temperatures be unnecessarily high?  Probably.

OP edited

Ironman273, when posting news in the future, please post an excerpt of the article, followed by a link for users that would like to read more from the source. :)

Please see this thread:  https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/819526-guidelines-on-posting-from-other-sites/

Regards

The box is fairly plain, but its a test system, so it doesn't tell us much about final builds that are sold.

I'm more interested in seeing how the UI works and how locked down the presentation is. I know its a custom Linux build and that sure, you may be able to hack it or something, but what is the end user experience out of the box.

As far as what Valve is targeting with the OS, they are in fact going to be adding media features as well, so this is not 100% gaming focused, nor does it have to be in order to be good at gaming. Plus, Steam will be getting more and more non-gaming apps in the store, which will be pushed to SteamOS as possible.

I'm also interesting in seeing if there is really a tangible performance benefit to their Linux build vs Windows as they claim.

No media at all, very limited gaming with the majority requiring help from a Windows based PC... Just my opinion, but if I wanted to be entertained, I'd pick any one of those options you mentioned before buying this, the only way I'd consider it is if I could replace SteamOS with something that let me do everything. Two units doing some things, one unit doing everything and saving money on top of it. Easy choice.

I was under the impression that a steam box can run windows.

I agree though for a games machine, if i didn't have a capable PC. I would pick up an XB1 or PS4 over an steambox.

My point was that as an all round entertainment system. Steam box will be better because of the open nature. It won't take developers long to get something like XBMC on it.

I would expect this system would gain steam, no pun intended. With the system as powerful as they day say it is, this is a pretty decent start. I'm not sure about the Nvidia choice, not knocking Nvidia because I favor AMD but with a lot of Nvidia users here having issues with their cards for one reason or other.

But I'll reserve any bad comments until the system becomes a mainstream system and bugs/kinks are worked out.

as for unseating the other console makers, I wouldn't expect that nor desire that.competition and choice ALWAYS favors the consumer to keep prices in check.

I love AMD cards but you gotta admit, their Linux drivers are still pretty crap. I'm hoping that they will start throwing more weight behind Linux development now they know nVidia are getting into the market.

I was under the impression that a steam box can run windows.

I agree though for a games machine, if i didn't have a capable PC. I would pick up an XB1 or PS4 over an steambox.

My point was that as an all round entertainment system. Steam box will be better because of the open nature. It won't take developers long to get something like XBMC on it.

Yep, I believe Valve said that people can put Windows on it and do whatever they please.  It will simply ship with SteamOS, which will negate the cost of a Windows license.  Basically it seems like it won't be any different than if you were to build a custom PC, but the case will be a small form factor designed by them.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, like 99 percent of all gpu fans.

Pretty much the only GPU fans that are NOT aimed down are those GPU designs that are fanless, or are old-school PCI.

PCI and PCI Express GPU designs differ entirely due to component layout in relation to the slot - with PCI, components are "face-up". (The same applies outside of GPUs as well - compare the X-Fi XtremeGamer low-profile, which is a classic PCI part, to either the Recon3D or even the base Sound Blaster Z, both of which are PCI Express x1.  The PCI Express - both x1 and x16, but the same applies to x4 - layout is identical to the old-school AGP-bus layout as far as components go; with AGP, components, including fans, were "face down" - it's how you can tell which components are AGP or PCI Express vs. PCI.)

I'm preparing to replace my PCI sound cad with a PCI Express x1 version (for reasons OTHER than the direction the components face) and I will be using the x1 slot directly below the PCI slot the card being replaced occupies.

My mATX motherboard has three PCI Express x1 slots - one above the single x16 slot (blocked by my USB bracket for now), one blocked by my dual-slot GTX550 Ti, and the one below my sound card.  By moving my sound card from PCI to PCI Express, I can move my USB bracket to the slot my sound card used to occupy without affecting my GPU's airflow (which is NOT affected by my current PCI sound card, due to it being low-profile - the PCI Express replacement/sidegrade is NOT a low-profile card).

@ Max, this system isn't meant to be a full entertainment center al-a' xbox360 or xbox one etc.

This is solely meant to play steam games off a custom OS. seriously strictly a gaming system.

Steam support software. I don't really use big picture but unless they block app from big picture/steam os then it could be more than a gaming system after a while. Of course softwares would need to be recompiled and coded for Steam OS but if the os is popular enough companies like Netflix will do it.

The steam box will be more of an entertainment system than a 360, PS4, XB1, PS4 will ever be. Due to its open nature.

nah..  Even XBMC / Plex aren't perfect and have fewer apps and official support... media isn't a business you break into by being open source.

nah..  Even XBMC / Plex aren't perfect and have fewer apps and official support... media isn't a business you break into by being open source.

While that is true, my point being is because the OS is open and allows anyone to develop for it and plus they're not restricted on what they develop.

It can run Windows as well. So you have access to all the apps Windows offers.

Consoles are locked down and really only allow to install what they want you to install.