XP - Windows update no longer working?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 c.grz

c.grz

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 06 November 2013 - 19:29

I was able to successfully obtain updates on VM with a fresh install of XP after installing IE8 and the latest cumulative patch for IE8 with a reboot in between.

#17 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 November 2013 - 19:41

in a couple months someone will put together an unofficial service pack and slipstreamed disc with all the patches

#18 OP freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

Posted 06 November 2013 - 20:00

wsusoffline.net download, and run. Select XP, choose the updates you want/need, and let it download all the installers.

Copy the whole WSUSoffline folder to your XP machine.

Run wsusoffline client on XP machine.

It will require a few restarts, and re-running of the wsusoffline client, but it will bring the installation up to date, and allow windows update to function normally.

I did this on a couple of XP clean installs this week (yes XP!! I know waiting on final Windows 7 builds and application testing to be completed for these so we can ditch XP), and it worked fine.

I'll look into this. Thanks! :)

#19 OP freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

Posted 06 November 2013 - 20:01

I was able to successfully obtain updates on VM with a fresh install of XP after installing IE8 and the latest cumulative patch for IE8 with a reboot in between.

I wonder why it happens at random. I tried installing IE 8 as well as the updates it came with..

#20 c.grz

c.grz

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 06 November 2013 - 20:03

I wonder why it happens at random. I tried installing IE 8 as well as the updates it came with..

I downloaded the cumulative patch and installed it separately; I didn't allow the Internet Explorer 8 install to download the latest updates.

#21 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 07 November 2013 - 13:42

Sometimes I wonder if this sort of problem is less to do with XP and a lot to do with Windows Update itself, I've had issues updating 8.1 before.

#22 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 07 November 2013 - 20:29

I know this sounds really basic, but make sure the time and date are set correctly. Windows Update won't work if they're not set right.