xbox one apps

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:44

Today, we’re announcing the very first wave of some of the world’s biggest names in entertainment rolling out on Xbox One in the 13 launch markets between Nov. 22 at launch and spring 2014:

Australia •Crackle
•Machinima
•MUZU TV
•Network Ten’s tenplay
•Quickflix
•SBS On Demand
•TED
•Twitch

Austria
•Eurosport
•Machinima
•MUZU TV
•TED
•Twitch

Brazil
•Crackle
•Machinima
•Muu
•Netflix
•Saraiva Player
•Sky Online
•SporTV
•TED
•Telecine
•Twitch
•Vivo Play

Canada
•CinemaNow
•Crackle
•Machinima
•MUZU TV
•Netflix
•Rogers Anyplace TV
•Sportsnet
•TED
•The NFL on Xbox One
•Twitch

France
•6Play
•Canal+/CanalSat
•France 2,3,4,5
•La TV d’Orange
•Machinima
•MUZU TV
•MyTF1
•MYTF1VOD
•SFR TV
•TED
•Twitch

Germany
•Amazon\LOVEFiLM
•Eurosport
•Machinima
•MUZU TV
•TED
•Twitch
•Watchever
•Zattoo

Ireland
•Eurosport
•Machinima
•MUZU TV
•Netflix
•TED
•Twitch

Italy
•Eurosport
•Machinima
•MUZU TV
•Premium Play
•TED
•Twitch

Mexico
•Clarovideo
•Crackle
•Machinima
•Netflix
•TED
•Televisa
•The NFL on Xbox One
•TV Azteca
•Twitch
•Veo

New Zealand
•Machinima
•MUZU TV
•Quickflix
•TED
•Twitch

Spain
•Eurosport
•Gol Televisión
•Machinima
•MUZU TV
•RTVE
•TED
•Twitch
•Wuaki.tv
•Zattoo

United Kingdom
•4oD
•Amazon\LOVEFiLM
•blinkbox
•Crackle
•Demand 5
•Eurosport
•Machinima
•MUZU TV
•Netflix
•NOW TV
•TED
•Twitch
•Wuaki.tv

United States
•Amazon Instant Video
•Crackle
•CWTV
•ESPN
•FOX NOW
•FXNOW
•HBO GO (coming soon)
•Hulu Plus
•Machinima
•MUZU TV
•Netflix
•Redbox Instant by Verizon
•Target Ticket
•TED
•The NFL on Xbox One
•Twitch
•Univision Deportes
•Verizon FiOS TV
•VUDU

The list above* is just the first wave of third-party apps that are coming to Xbox One over the course of the next few months. We will continue to announce more apps coming to the platform and both the Xbox One and Xbox 360 entertainment app portfolios will continue to grow weekly.

In addition to the entertainment apps coming from partners, in every market Xbox One will also feature:
•Xbox Fitness
•Xbox Video
•Xbox Music
•Internet Explorer
•Upload

With games, multiplayer gaming, live TV and the best entertainment apps, Xbox One is the most complete entertainment system.

*Xbox LIVE Gold membership required

http://news.xbox.com...rtners-unveiled

#2 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:51

quite the list, more than PS4s launch.. however.. the astrisk notes the Gold is required.. are ALL features behind gold?  Also, which ones are actually launch ones vs ones that will be out in spring?

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 08 November 2013 - 13:30

Can't believe they are launching without iPlayer, Sky or YouTube :no: Also have to wonder if Sky will bother with a seperate app or will integrate the basic packages into NowTV more.

Oh well, at least there's Netflix and Twitch :/

#4 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 08 November 2013 - 16:27

I don't know about Sky and iPlayer but Youtube isn't on any new system for some reason or another. 

#5 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 November 2013 - 16:38

quite the list, more than PS4s launch.. however.. the astrisk notes the Gold is required.. are ALL features behind gold?  Also, which ones are actually launch ones vs ones that will be out in spring?

Yes, they're all behind gold. I imagine they'll all be out at launch, considering most are already on the 360.

#6 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 08 November 2013 - 16:38

Well I'm actually alright with a lack of youtube app at launch as long as IE can handle the web page properly.  The 360 IE was fairly limited, but the X1 is probably using a form of IE 11, so I'm hoping that means its much more capable.

If they allow you to pin websites to your pin sections, I could see myself using that a lot.

As far as the app lineup, its a good first start, but they will keep building on that for sure.  And again they missed an opportunity to move these apps outside of Gold, but they must feel that they do not yet offer enough other services behind Gold to offset moving those to an open app market. 

I'll be using the Amazon and ESPN apps a lot.  I really liked the ESPN app on the 360, so I'll keep that going with the x1. I've been trying out Xbox Music, so I may be using that on there as well.  But as much as I appreciate all the streaming app support, I'm still waiting to hear about how MS will handle 3rd party apps developed for the X1.  I want an app that can handle local media playback, including content streamed from another device.

#7 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 November 2013 - 17:27

One slick thing I read about was the fact that the One Guide can be used by any 3rd party app.  Things like Netflix and Hulu Plus can push their content to the guide.

It shows up as its own channel in the guide and you can navigate through with all of the Kinect features they demoed or the controller.

That's great news for potential app developers and it makes the guide so much more useful beyond just live tv. 

This is one reason I'm looking forward to the X1 so much, its potential as an app platform considering its robust OS.

#8 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 08 November 2013 - 21:24

I imagine the whole media apps behind Gold thing could change at any time with growing competition from others.   There's also new people in charge so anything is possible down the road.  As they start to add things back that they had set first, like family sharing an so on, they can add value to gold through those and set media apps free.   Right now outside of having gold for MP it's also to get access to the apps.    It could all swing the other way at any point, it'd just be a easy server side change for them to unlock like they do on those free weekends from time to time.

#9 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 November 2013 - 16:11

For those of you waiting for an iPlayer app from the BBC:

http://www.polygon.c...er-app-xbox-one

Its in the works now at least.

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:56

Hopefully YT isn't far behind. Hope GT have an update in the works too.

#11 Vandalsquad

Vandalsquad

Neowinian

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:30

Hopefully YT isn't far behind. Hope GT have an update in the works too.

I don't think youtube would be Microsofts fault. I'm guessing more to do with google the same with WP youtube app and the constant back and forwards ###### fight between the two.

#12 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 12 November 2013 - 14:45

NowTV in the UK has been delayed until next Summer - http://www.digitalsp...ext-summer.html

#13 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 November 2013 - 16:30

Yeah, it looks like there will be a steady stream of new entertainment sources as we go along.

I'm cool with a delay as long as they take the time to build a proper UI for the TV and take advantage of all the features.

#14 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

Posted 12 November 2013 - 19:35

NowTV in the UK has been delayed until next Summer - http://www.digitalsp...ext-summer.html

Sigh, stuck with Netflix and Twitch then...

FWIW on the topic of NowTV, I actually think they're the best streaming service in the UK and very underrated. The library is updated every week with new releases way ahead of the competition. I was surprised when I first joined. I wanted to hate it because it's part of the evil empire, but it's too good (Y)

#15 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 November 2013 - 16:18

Here is a short teaser for the ESPN app for all you sports fans out there:

http://www.polygon.c...how-to-use-espn

I don't use many apps, but I used the heck out of the epsn app on the 360 and this one looks good so far, so that should continue.