The downside of the tablet craze

As people are buying more and more tablets, website developers are making them optimized for touchscreens which in turn makes the webpages more basic. I am noticing more and more, websites are going from advanced with in depth menus and smaller icons,  to websites with less depth menus and bigger buttons.  I was on ebay a yesterday and noticed that they optimized "Sell and item page"  for tablets (in the screenshot below). I had to switch to the advanced view, because the "simple" view was awful and had less options. I hope all website don't turn into the basic tabletized webpages in the future.

Here is the tabletized page

post-455563-0-73697400-1383929751.jpg

Here is the normal advanced page

post-455563-0-76661100-1383930198.jpg

I would think that the "tabletized" websites would simply be the mobile (m.ebay.com or whatever) versions and the normal version would still remain for PCs.

A lot people are accessing the full sites rather than the mobile sites on tablets, so I'm seeing more websites being simplified for tablets.

Its the creation of apps that are nothing more than wraps for browsing a site that I find irritating. Tho in many cases the apps they create are total mince in terms on functionality compared with desktop. Ebay and Facebook are the main offenders there.

Personally, I think this is a good thing.  Everything is far more obvious, with a reduction in drop down lists.  Tablets have played a massive part in getting to a friendly web that is more accessible to all.

Personally, I think this is a good thing.  Everything is far more obvious, with a reduction in drop down lists.  Tablets have played a massive part in getting to a friendly web that is more accessible to all.

Access !> Function.

Yep it's a good thing. I also believe that accessibility is important and to reach more audience, they need to compromise with simplicity and easy of use over a minority group of advanced users.

Remember not everyone is able to read and write well, not even see properly.

Besides the website provides the same functions and services, just simplier.

Access !> Function.

Make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience.
? Albert Einstein

Make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience.
? Albert Einstein

Alas, the "it can scarcely be denied [..]" part is all too often left out in this quote, although it visibly changes its meaning. Einstein himself warned that Occam's razor should only be a preference rather than an apodictic rule.

? Albert Einstein

Yeh and he`s debatable as much as anyone else in his field.

Not to mention that when put in context of what were discussing, what hes actually saying is keep it simple without loosing the usability.

Usability is lost in many of these apps as they trim the so called "fat" functions out, which to many are actually primary functions.

That fact they are loosing functions mean they are not holding up to Einsteins little theorem.