• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile)

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:21

I'm not going to buy new CPU/Motherboard/RAM until the quarter of 2014 but I will not have the money to do so until then. Anyway. I'm trying to find out is it worth spending $300 more on Intel i7 over the AMD FX. I have no desired for the i5 so don't give me that option. I like to have the high end processor. I feel more special that way. LOL (I know Intel has the i7 4900X for $999). I'm not that special. Anyway, most of my stuff I will be doing on it is Adobe Suite (no video editing), surfing website and heavy flash games (Zynga) and maybe a game or two but not sure if that. Not into video games anymore and I'm going to get an Xbox One. I want to keep it for 2 years at least until I need to update it again. The one I have runs slow and had it for about 3 years now beside the video card which I replace it last year with an Nvidia GeForce 560 ti.

INTEL spec

• Intel i7 4820K : $269.99
  • ASRock Z87 Extreme6 : $174.99
  • Vengeance Series 16GB DDR3 : $169.99
  • TOTAL : $614.97

AMD spec

• AMD FX 8350 4GHz AM3+ Black Editi : $179.99
  • ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 : $144.99
  • Vengeance Series 16GB DDR3 : $169.99
  • TOTAL : $494.97

I'm going to save about $120 with AMD over Intel. I know I will need to get a fan cooler and power supply but...

#2 +PeterUK

PeterUK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:33

I'm not going to buy new CPU/Motherboard/RAM until the quarter of 2014 but I will not have the money to do so until then.

Things will change by then so saying one or the other now will be pointless until then.

#3 enroh

enroh

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 6+

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:36

Intel is the way I went when upgrading my system that I use for photo/video editing. Every bench I read was Intel over AMD. While I take all benches with a pinch of salt I cannot say I am less than pleased with my choice.

#4 Phouchg

Phouchg

has stopped responding

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 09 November 2013 - 13:42

4820K is an LGA2011 socket processor and as such is incompatible with Z87. It is also a bad choice in general (4930K is where it starts) unless you terribly, inescapably need that 50 GB/s+ memory bandwidth, which you don't. Instead, you're looking for 4770K (or 4771, if not planning to overclock).

Alas, by the time you get the money, there might be a more information of purpoted Haswell refresh and Z97. Currently it's said to have SATA Express and Broadwell compatibility. With Intel it might be a good idea to do as they want and get the hottest thing lest you be left with a deadweight system impossible to upgrade.

As for AMD, consider getting FX-8320 and overclock it yourself to FX-8350 speed. It's very easy (relatively speaking), often requiring no voltage adjustments.

#5 Decebalvs Rex

Decebalvs Rex

Transylvanian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 09 November 2013 - 13:50

If you don't plan overclocking, heavy gaming or intensive cpu programming then AMD is the right choice.

I am using an intel right but an AMD with stock cooler , less powerfull might leave you enough cash to invest in other important parts of the PC.

For example, send that cash in SSD , GPU or even an extreme silent case/cooler.

If you need performance and top speed head for Intel.

Also , try a cheaper Mobo , it will work and last exactly as the one you mentioned above.

#6 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 09 November 2013 - 14:02

Heavily threaded stuff like video encoding... about even, stuff that depends on high per thread stuff, Intel wins. The Intel CPUs are also faster for gaming purposes. Given that Adobe apps generally need a balance between high single thread performance and high threaded performance you're probably better off going with the i7, I would however recommend getting a custom cooler as the newer i7s produce a lot of heat

#7 Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Shine bright like Iron Man.

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 09 November 2013 - 14:03

DDR4 is coming around at the end of this year, isn't it?

#8 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 November 2013 - 14:16

Just get an i5k series and overclock it and feel less special but save money and have just as fast as a processor.  :laugh:

#9 Phouchg

Phouchg

has stopped responding

Posted 09 November 2013 - 14:42

DDR4 is coming around at the end of this year, isn't it?

It's already here, but has nowhere to go. Not until Haswell-E/EP/EX (X99 shown at IDF, coming late 2014) comes, if expectations are correct, for servers and consumers at the same time.

#10 bucko

bucko

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 November 2013 - 15:09

I'm really happy with my Intel set-up. I once had AMD but Intel just seems more stable and better on the power bills. I just wish my AMD graphics card produced better drivers as it always stops responding. Yet my previous Nvidia card completely died. Intel is expensive but worth it I think but this is just my opinion.

#11 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 09 November 2013 - 15:16

If you live in a cold climate, you want AMD. AMDs run hot and can double as a space heater.

Otherwise, get Intel.

#12 Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 Ubuntu 14.10 64-bit

Posted 09 November 2013 - 19:50

My vote goes for Intel.

#13 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:41

You'll get more grunt from the Intel...hence the price.

You'd likely be perfectly fine with an AMD. I have an FX-4200 in my PC and does everything just fine. As others have mentioned you could use the difference to improve other aspects of your machine. Doesn't sound like you need 16GB RAM either. 8GB should be ample.

#14 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:46

It all comes down to your use

I'll place my vote for the AMD build, purely as it's a cheaper build

I'm still using a dual core Athlon and it runs win 7, starcraft, wow, and the various other programs my wife uses with little to no problems

The extra horsepower of the intel is only going to benefit you if you're doing or running some really extreme cpu intensive programs, so if that is indeed what you're planning then go down the intel route

(Otherwise save some cash and build an amd rig)

#15 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:04

AMD