ps4 remote play

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 incendy

incendy

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 13 November 2013 - 19:21

In the IGN video for remote play it took 17 seconds for the Vita to make a link to the PS4. Is that crazy to anyone else? My 3 year old PC does a cold boot faster than that. I would probably be fine dealing with it for one day to test it, but there is no way I would go through that on a daily basis. Would you?

#2 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 13 November 2013 - 19:30

17 sec is actually pretty reasonable when you think about all the connections that have to be made/changed when it connects

really. if you're THAT impatient then i feel sorry for you

#3 metallithrax

metallithrax

I saw you earlier, with the hairy stick....

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Sony Xperia U (android 4.0.4)

Posted 13 November 2013 - 19:38

17 sec is actually pretty reasonable when you think about all the connections that have to be made/changed when it connects

Agreed.  17 seconds is nothing.  But then people are so impatient these days.  Soon they'll be complaining because the don't suffer premature ejaculation, and sex takes too long.

#4 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 13 November 2013 - 19:39

I think the link speed is fine, but I do think the wireless connection is a bigger concern.

I've seen reviews mention that the connection is very particular (which is not shocking considering what its doing) and that means you can easily move out of range, even when you in the same room as the ps4.  So this isn't something that works reliably say in other parts of the house yet.

I'm sure they can tweak it over time to improve it though.  Part of the issue could be due to the fact that the ps4 does not offer 5Ghz 802.11N support.  Its limited to the 2.4ghz band, which limits throughput a bit. 

#5 OP incendy

incendy

Neowinian

Posted 13 November 2013 - 19:40

I guess I am impatient then. Because there is no way I could deal with that. I complain daily about Adobe Illustrator taking 5 to 6 seconds to open. But seventeen seconds, I would force close it as unresponsive.

#6 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

Posted 13 November 2013 - 19:55

I guess I am impatient then. Because there is no way I could deal with that. I complain daily about Adobe Illustrator taking 5 to 6 seconds to open. But seventeen seconds, I would force close it as unresponsive.

How is that relevant?  You just sound like someone who enjoys moaning...

#7 sbauer

sbauer

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 13 November 2013 - 19:59

Start the link, get a drink or a snack, and then walk back. 

#8 OP incendy

incendy

Neowinian

Posted 13 November 2013 - 20:11

How is that relevant?  You just sound like someone who enjoys moaning...

Because it is a long time to wait to use something that you expect to be instant. Maybe I have just been spoiled by SmartPhones, Tablets and PC's where pretty much everything is instant. Was jarring for me to see that in the video. Especially since the Wii-U link is instant.

#9 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 November 2013 - 14:28

Because it is a long time to wait to use something that you expect to be instant. Maybe I have just been spoiled by SmartPhones, Tablets and PC's where pretty much everything is instant. Was jarring for me to see that in the video. Especially since the Wii-U link is instant.

correct.

im curious to know how old you are b/c if you remember anything from the 90s, then you know how long things used to take to load...

#10 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 14 November 2013 - 15:10

Agreed.  17 seconds is nothing.  But then people are so impatient these days.  Soon they'll be complaining because the don't suffer premature ejaculation, and sex takes too long.

It's a race.  The woman's got 2 minutes (if she's lucky).  I'm busy getting my orgasm on, I can't be arsed to worry about hers, too.  I got ###### to do.  Like connecting my Vita.

#11 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 November 2013 - 15:12

It's a race.  The woman's got 2 minutes (if she's lucky).  I'm busy getting my orgasm on, I can't be arsed to worry about hers, too.  I got **** to do.  Like connecting my Vita.

Get out of my drawers..

#12 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 14 November 2013 - 15:16

I think the link speed is fine, but I do think the wireless connection is a bigger concern.

I've seen reviews mention that the connection is very particular (which is not shocking considering what its doing) and that means you can easily move out of range, even when you in the same room as the ps4.  So this isn't something that works reliably say in other parts of the house yet.

I'm sure they can tweak it over time to improve it though.  Part of the issue could be due to the fact that the ps4 does not offer 5Ghz 802.11N support.  Its limited to the 2.4ghz band, which limits throughput a bit.

Personally i don't expect this to work far from the console. I lose wifi connection to my router when i'm in my bedroom ... now i'll admit it's a bad cheap router but still. Considering the amount of data that needs to be sent for this to work i'm sure you'll need to be close to the PS4. Could still potentially be cool as a second screen for local multiplayer specially for racing games.

#13 DPyro

DPyro

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 November 2013 - 18:22

Personally i don't expect this to work far from the console. I lose wifi connection to my router when i'm in my bedroom ... now i'll admit it's a bad cheap router but still. Considering the amount of data that needs to be sent for this to work i'm sure you'll need to be close to the PS4. Could still potentially be cool as a second screen for local multiplayer specially for racing games.

You must have a really cheap router. I can connect to mine a block away.

#14 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 November 2013 - 18:24

You must have a really cheap router. I can connect to mine a block away.

The environment could be different as well. Wireless signal quality can be very tricky to nail down.

#15 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 14 November 2013 - 18:27

i am not really all that worried about the link speed more than i am worried that my connection between the vita and the PS4 will be a problem. I already have issues with Remote play on the PS3 being unplayable. and I have a rather nice router that should cause problems.

Average link speed on wireless is 122Mbps up from 78Mbps on my old router. sure its not 300Mbps on an AC router but its still nice.