Xbox One - Playing mkv files

any word if the xbox one will play mkv files on my pc/nas? This would allow me to get rid of my boxee box, and use the xbox one as my main entertainment box

The only chance of playing mkvs without transcoding is if MS allows proper app store support and we get the vlc app being made for win 8 ported to the X1.

As of now, all we know is that the built in player will not support mkvs. They haven't given much detail beyond that.

Use this software PS3 Muxer and batch convert your mkv files to m2ts. The H.264 video part of mkv is playable straight away. But if audio is DTS, then PS3 muxer will re-encode it to AC3 which is Dolby equivalent of DTS. And finally it will add those 2 streams in m2ts container which is natively supported by Windows 8, Xbox systems and PS3/PS4 systems.

The best part is this conversion takes as much time as a normal hard disk to hard disk transfer would take in most cases.

Cheers and enjoy.

• Like 2

If your computer is up to it, simply convert your MKV files to MP4, since Xbox One should support them like the Xbox 360 does.

Use something like Handbrake which is free GNU open source software, or commercial shareware like Any Video Converter.

OP, are you trying to watch your pirated HD content on Xbox One? ;-)

or he ripped his blu-ray collection onto him PC? just saying not everyone is a pirate cause of a video format.

• Like 2

I've been using PS3 media server, and it's offshoot Universal Media Server, to transcode my mkv's for years. As the Xbox One supports DNLA, it should work fine. I'll update on Friday once I get to test it

MKV is way out of our league, bro. The only time you'll hear about MKV is from VLC.

No chance. The container is almost exclusively used by pirates. They have no reason to support it.

My Samsung Smart TV plays MKV just fine

Yeah there's quite a lot of devices out there that play MKV files. Sumvision's Cyclone Micro 2 plays virtually everything under the sun. It even plays RMVB files. :huh:  It's only weak point is it's interface.

For me at least, I don't really see devices supporting this container. I only ever get to use it through VLC.

Only pretty much every smart TV, set top box, and blu-ray player sold in the past 2 years.

No chance. The container is almost exclusively used by pirates. They have no reason to support it.

Where there is a will, there is a way. There's always UMS, oh wait, Xbone doesn't support DLNA :blush:

Where there is a will, there is a way. There's always UMS, oh wait, Xbone doesn't support DLNA :blush:

Stop calling it Xbone, and It does support DLNA, and CD's if you're feeling quite old school.

• Like 2

Stop calling it Xbone, and It does support DLNA, and CD's if you're feeling quite old school.

Let JJ spew off... It's quite funny, especially when they are misinformed...

Supporting .mkv is only half the problem.

Remember, mkv is only a container format. The video and audio format inside that must also be supported.

So while there are smart TVs, bluray players, etch that support .mkv, they still don't support all of the possible formats contained inside it.

For instance, they may not support flack audio in an mkv, or MP4 files that are above a certain nitrate. Then there is the issue of subtitles. There are at least a dozen subtitle formats that can be in an mkv. A device may not support .pgs subtitles for instance.

Basically, only the PC currently offers true flexibility in format support. That's why htpcs are still used by some, including myself. There is simply no single device that can replace that yet.

Pardon my ignorance, but why don't consoles support .mkv? My receiver can play 'em & My T.V.s can play 'em, so why isn't support for this format more common? I understand .mkv is a container but if the files in the container are compatible with the device then why do they refuse to even recognize the .mvk format?

want to play mkv files just buy yourself a Micca Media player for 40.00 USD on amazon;

http://www.amazon.com/Micca-Speck-Full-HD-Portable-Digital/dp/B008NO9RRM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384820136&sr=8-2&keywords=micca

I love this thing!!!!! Will play any file!

• Powerful 1080p Video Player: MKV, AVI, MP4, MOV, WMV, XVID, TS, M2TS, RM, RMVB, DAT, MPG, MPEG, VOB
  • Wide Range Video Codec Support: H.264/AVC, VC-1, MPEG1/2/4, DivX/Xvid, Real Video

All you will need is to place your files onto a usb flash drive or an external hard drive.

A pretty hypocritical reason for not supporting them given that the most popular alternatives, AVI and MP4 are also used extensively by scene rippers.