• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• 7,946 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:28

Why has everyone started changing their usernames to real names? It seems mostly mods and some +members.

Sorry if this has already been addressed, I am just curious. :)

#2 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,527 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:39

There was a Suggestion by Daniel, now using his full name

Neobond changed his, now changed again to Steven P.

Mods were probably asked as it is humanising the site and give it a more professional appearance

I personally didn't want to hide behind a nickname if I'm called out anymore :)

#3 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,116 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:22

The more interesting question is what's going on with all the resignations among staff. Four supervisors alone retired within the past week.

#4 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

• 11,527 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:24

The more interesting question is what's going on with all the resignations among staff. Four supervisors alone retired within the past week.

Good point, I was thinking that I saw supers with Veteran badges....

#5 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 6,589 posts
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:33

I'll always use a pseudonym, not because i'm hiding, Googling my username will always find my real name, but because it find it less formal and much easier to type.

As for the staff, i have no idea why they've started using real names but i don't really like it as it makes names a lot less catchy.

#6 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• 1,142 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:03

Why has everyone started changing their usernames to real names? It seems mostly mods and some +members.

Sorry if this has already been addressed, I am just curious. :)

Aheer.R.S.'s summary in the first reply is spot on. Most of the staff started using their real names at Daniel's prerogative to make the site seem more professional and friendly. I don't blame you for missing it though. They didn't exactly announce it publicly, and it didn't have a thread of its own until now. For reference, Daniel's post about it is #242 in the Tech Issues Solved thread. In case the context isn't immediately clear, he quoted Crisp's post #134 in the same thread, but he was really responding to the post Crisp quoted, which is Brando212's post #128 in that thread.

I am quite impressed that you kept track. Were their resignations announced publicly somewhere, or did you just happen to notice the exact number of new Veteran badges?

On that note, while I am not a staff member here and cannot speak on their behalf, it seems pretty clear that the staff who retired left on good terms. If you look at the official summary of Neowin User groups, you will see a the summary of "Veteran" clearly states that members who are placed in that group are in good standing and contributed a lot to Neowin during their time on staff. Being a moderator, supervisor, or admin takes a lot of time in a community the size of Neowin, so I find it perfectly reasonable that a few staff members decided they needed more personal time. After all, it is far better to do a few things well than many things poorly.

#7 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• 16,252 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:43

I'll just drop a small reassurance that what xorangekiller said above is correct. Four supervisors have retired due to personal commitments and not due to disagreements of any sort. Not to worry, I'm sure a few other members of staff will soon step up to fill their shoes.

As for using real names, it is indeed to convey a better sense of professionalism. Though I've had my real name as my display name for more than two years... :whistle:

#8 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

• 11,527 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:44

I'll just drop a small reassurance that what xorangekiller said above is correct. Four supervisors have retired due to personal commitments. Not to worry, I'm sure a few other members of staff will soon step up to fill their shoes.

As for using real names, it is indeed to convey a better sense of professionalism. Though I've had my real name as my display name for more than two years... :whistle:

But you told me your name was Brenda...... :huh:  :o  :cry:

#9 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• 8,497 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:38

So that's why Dushmany changed his name to fit in with the new Neowin realism trend. :p

#10 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,116 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:04

Aheer.R.S.'s summary in the first reply is spot on. Most of the staff started using their real names at Daniel's prerogative to make the site seem more professional and friendly. I don't blame you for missing it though. They didn't exactly announce it publicly, and it didn't have a thread of its own until now. For reference, Daniel's post about it is #242 in the Tech Issues Solved thread. In case the context isn't immediately clear, he quoted Crisp's post #134 in the same thread, but he was really responding to the post Crisp quoted, which is Brando212's post #128 in that thread.

I am quite impressed that you kept track. Were their resignations announced publicly somewhere, or did you just happen to notice the exact number of new Veteran badges?

On that note, while I am not a staff member here and cannot speak on their behalf, it seems pretty clear that the staff who retired left on good terms. If you look at the official summary of Neowin User groups, you will see a the summary of "Veteran" clearly states that members who are placed in that group are in good standing and contributed a lot to Neowin during their time on staff. Being a moderator, supervisor, or admin takes a lot of time in a community the size of Neowin, so I find it perfectly reasonable that a few staff members decided they needed more personal time. After all, it is far better to do a few things well than many things poorly.

Nothing impressive here - you hear about events a lot sooner when you're hanging out on Neowin IRC. 'Nuff said,

#11 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• 8,497 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:17

Meph, you trying to advertise the benefits of joining the Neowin IRC?  :shifty:

Also, I'm surprised this change wasn't mentioned in the Site Announcements section. :huh:

#12 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,414 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:24

There will be an announcement sometime this week ;)

#13 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,116 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:25

Meph, you trying to advertise the benefits of joining the Neowin IRC?  :shifty:

Also, I'm surprised this change wasn't mentioned in the Site Announcements section. :huh:

Maybe. Neowin IRC can be fun... in which ways is something you have to experience yourself. :shiftyninja:

#14 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• 16,252 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:25

Usually personnel leaving wouldn't be something to announce...

Also we're still in the works of getting the forum spiced up; the tech issues solved and name changes being one of them. The former you'd definitely notice and is worthy of an announcement. The latter, well unless you're obsessed with whoever's display names were before the change, it's not worthy of broadcasting on a loudspeaker ;)

#15 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• 16,252 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:27

Maybe. Neowin IRC can be fun... in which ways is something you have to experience yourself. :shiftyninja:

Safe to say, IRC is rated

480px-PEGI16.png

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!